Page 1540 of 1566 FirstFirst ... 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 ... LastLast
Results 38,476 to 38,500 of 39127
    Everything has to be a video. I don’t want to watch a 5 minute video on reloading my new string trimmer. I just need to see the one bit I’m missing. I’d rather have a ten step instruction document that I can skim any day. Put in pictures if you want. Annoys me when the only resource is a video that will take minutes out of my life. Lot harder to skip around in a video, and requires far less rigor for whoever is communicating the instruction.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Everything has to be a video. I don’t want to watch a 5 minute video on reloading my new string trimmer. I just need to see the one bit I’m missing. I’d rather have a ten step instruction document that I can skim any day. Put in pictures if you want. Annoys me when the only resource is a video that will take minutes out of my life. Lot harder to skip around in a video, and requires far less rigor for whoever is communicating the instruction.
    Agree--I hate instruction videos for the most part. The ones companies produce are sometimes OK--the one about how to lubricate a Saw Stop table saw is excellent. Amateur videos are uniformly horrible. People in love with the sounds of their own voices. I'd much rather read the instructions.

On a similar note, there's a series on PBS called A Craftsman's Legacy with an obnoxious host that I sometimes watch--watched a really good one of a guy building a Windsor chair, mostly with hand tools like an adze, a scorp, a drawknife, a brace and bit, the other day. More woodworking, less talking and less the host bragging on himself than other episodes I watched.

And since I'm in a mood to rant--the people on This Old House are becoming increasingly full of themselves--especially the host Kevin O'Connor, who spends half the episode standing in a bunch of rough framing pointing out what rooms are where, which is meaningless, and offering to help the contractor who has to bite his tongue and let him pretend to be helping. The technical stuff on the show is still great.

agree. some things require a video, but lots of stuff could be done with written instructions. Just yesterday I was trying to get a pedal off my bike that was stuck, so googled for tips. First result was a 15 minute video on taking off and putting on pedals, ain't nobody got time for that shit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Amateur videos are uniformly horrible. People in love with the sounds of their own voices. I'd much rather read the instructions.
    Hah. The one I found for my string trimmer was a full minute of lecturing me to take the battery off first because safety. Fuck you I’m not taking the battery off. Now load the goddamned string.

It was free though, so…. Maybe this belongs in shit that annoys you but shouldn’t.
    focus.

What about the 15 minute unboxing videos of simple products?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Shit that annoys you

It’s funny, if I have fast Internet, I’ll go to the videos cause I’ll slide right up to the exact part I want to watch, if I have slow Internet I don’t even bother. Also often when I’m working on something my hands are covered in grease or I’ve got gloves on or something, and there’s always like five seconds of the video I really need and the rest I don’t.
    Nonetheless, it’s pretty fucking cool that you can pretty much fix anything by speaking into the ether and it appears on your phone.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

When they say they sent a confirmation email but you don't get one and you are stuck waiting in limbo. Argg!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    When they say they sent a confirmation email but you don't get one and you are stuck waiting in limbo. Argg!
    Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Tell me about it.
    Well you must have gotten it since you are not longer otzi. I guess patience really pays off huh?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Tell me about it.
    Whoa!!! WTAF is this???

Well played. Bravo.
    focus.

In general I think watching a video can be far more helpful than written instructions. Yeah, there are shitty videos, but they can be very helpful.

Shit that Annoys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220628_153610.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	420502

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Nonetheless, it’s pretty fucking cool that you can pretty much fix anything by speaking into the ether and it appears on your phone.
    For the most part this is true, but why can't I get Google to stop loading sites as plain text. I've tried every solution that the internet suggests. The problem goes away when I reboot, then returns after a couple of days. Only for sites I regularly view. My nieces husband who is a professional IT tech couldn't fix it.

Well you must have gotten it since you are not longer otzi. I guess patience really pays off huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Whoa!!! WTAF is this???
    They fixed it a couple months ago, I was waiting for a cue.

Well played. Bravo.
    thankaverramuch

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They fixed it a couple months ago, I was waiting for a cue.

thankaverramuch
    Well I honored that I was the cue. Haha

Check the Junk mail folder.

Post Office box price increases, every six months for the past few years. $200 a year now for the smallest option and prices increase again July 20th. I don't ever get my mail or deliveries on time.

^ damn thats outrageous. That post office sucked when I had a box there...from the parking to the line for packages I don't miss it one bit. I ran errands in the boat this a.m. and thought what a parody of itself the place has turned into. Same stuff in all the mtn towns the last few years I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Post Office box price increases, every six months for the past few years. $200 a year now for the smallest option and prices increase again July 20th. I don't ever get my mail or deliveries on time.
    Damn, ours are free in Summit

Canadian Tire was closed on Canada day.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Canadian Tire was closed on Canada day.
    That’s just unaMerican

Honestly I have no idea how Canadian Tire is still in business. Filthy stores, cluttered aisles, online inventory is fubared, apathetic staff, just a completely miserable shopping experience.

Full disclosure I have found that for some random things like electrical outlets, occasionally paint etc are priced below the big box hardware stores but still I use it as an absolute last resort.

National embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Honestly I have no idea how Canadian Tire is still in business. Filthy stores, cluttered aisles, online inventory is fubared, apathetic staff, just a completely miserable shopping experience.

Full disclosure I have found that for some random things like electrical outlets, occasionally paint etc are priced below the big box hardware stores but still I use it as an absolute last resort.

National embarrassment.
    Interesting. Maybe a regional thing? py Tire has never been known for its customer service in store but never had a return questioned. There are better hardware and auto places, but like you said, deals can be had on the regular. I prefer them to our Walmarts.

Damn, ours are free in Summit
    They’re free if you don’t have home delivery in your area. Ours is free