Page 710 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... LastLast
Results 17,726 to 17,750 of 46183
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Traffic lights that are synchronized...to turn red just before you get to each one.
    oh fuck don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Slow down 1/2 a mile an hour and stop being Don Garlits on every green and you'll breeze through the synchronized lights.
    I've tried that. They seem to self adjust so you hit red no matter what.

People and groups that push for more people 'outdoors', spending millions on marketing campaigns, and not realizing that the people they're attracting will trash the places we've been going to for years because they're not trashed.

I've tried that. They seem to self adjust so you hit red no matter what.
    In some areas the lights are synchronized to allow a certain speed to flow right through. Talk with the street department about the street you're driving and ask what that speed is?

Restaurants that have "self-serve" beer areas. Pay per ounce? WTF. I've never yearned for a bar tender more.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Restaurants that have "self-serve" beer areas. Pay per ounce? WTF. I've never yearned for a bar tender more.
    Then there's a tip line on the CC slip

Traffic lights that are synchronized...to turn red just before you get to each one.
    9th Street (aka US99) thru town was set to a solid 25 mph. Easy.
    Worked great at 50 mph, too.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Then there's a tip line on the CC slip
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In some areas the lights are synchronized to allow a certain speed to flow right through. Talk with the street department about the street you're driving and ask what that speed is?
    I know the OP was probably being a bit hyperbolic; But honestly, if the light turns red just as you get there... Well, slowing down a little, almost certainly, isn't going to do it for you, unless those signals are miles apart. [i.e. If a light cycle is 60 seconds and they are a few blocks apart, slowing down isn't going to take up an additional ~60 seconds so you arrive when it turns green again. Even halving or quartering your speed isn't going to fix it. Pretty soon you'd be better off walking.]

Yeah, I know that sounds like something Captain Obvious would say - but apparently it needed saying.

People and groups that push for more people 'outdoors', spending millions on marketing campaigns, and not realizing that the people they're attracting will trash the places we've been going to for years because they're not trashed.
    Along with all the "20 pristine untouched places YOU need to go articles" that seem to be everywhere.

People who walk right up to the luggage belt and block access for everyone else waiting on their bag. Stand 5 feet away and grab your bag when it comes. I do usually manage to bang my bag into these self important assholes when I grab mine. Right now I have a whole family standing 3 wide where the bags come down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I know the OP was probably being a bit hyperbolic; But honestly, if the light turns red just as you get there... Well, slowing down a little, almost certainly, isn't going to do it for you,
    Not hyperbolic. I counted 8 in a row that went red as I was approaching them. I wasn't speeding. Limit was 50, and lights were 3-5 blocks apart. Not anywhere near far enough apart that slowing down would be enough for the light to cycle back to green. And since I was stopped at each one anyways, it wouldn't have mattered.

San Diego has some of the most worthless traffic management. Some major intersections take 4-5 minutes to cycle through, and these can pop up every few blocks. The city's philosophy seems to be "we need to have the light last a long time to get all this backed up traffic through." Well guess what it is backed up because the lights take forever to cycle through, often unnecessarily. Self-fulfilling prophecy. Look at cities like Vancouver where I'm from - the city is a grid of cross-streets, traffic is heavy each direction and lights are fairly short. But it seems to move traffic efficiently. Even though lights are shorter you'e not waiting as long for the whole line of distracted drivers to finish their facebook posts and start moving. Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    People who walk right up to the luggage belt and block access for everyone else waiting on their bag. Stand 5 feet away and grab your bag when it comes. I do usually manage to bang my bag into these self important assholes when I grab mine. Right now I have a whole family standing 3 wide where the bags come down.

Never understood this. And I too somehow always manage to whack an adult member of the group who is doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You could lose your job by not driving it like a complete dick.

Be careful.

Seriously? That happens?

It should be televised. Like they do with the floggings and be-headings in Saudi Arabia.
    The number isn't on the side of the bus, but it is readily available, and people call for stupid shit.

Usually, if there is any kind of traffic confrontation you look at the condition of the car and it's habitants and decide if they have a life or not.

People with pos, unmaintained cars that appear unemployed and miserable are the worst. They have nothing better to do than to stew about the bus that stopped a couple feet into the crosswalk because the light changed quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    oh fuck don't get me started
    Huh, They always turn green for me.

It depends on the lights. In some places that are too congested to get going to fast they will be set to let you go straight through after getting stopped at one light.

Others, like on faster, bigger roads will be set to stop you at each one to keep people at the 35 mph speed limit rather than the 60 mph that would be easy to do..

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    Never understood this. And I too somehow always manage to whack an adult member of the group who is doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's your problem. Whack a kid and they might get the message. Even better, whack an old person in a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just maintain your speed, FFS.
    Yup..they are yielding..so..umm. Sorry mtnhurl

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Others, like on faster, bigger roads will be set to stop you at each one to keep people at the 35 mph speed limit rather than the 60 mph that would be easy to do..
    That's what they do here. It's speed management by traffic light, you literally hit every.single.light. Oh and we have speed cameras all over the fucking place too, in case you somehow manage to get up over the limit between lights. Montgomery County Maryland does not want you to get anywhere soon. This is a big jurisdiction, well over a million people in the county imagine the time and gas wasted and pollution generated, it's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

I was somewhere recently (maybe sfo) and almost everyone was standing back from the belt because they had a painted line a couple feet back. They should really just do that everywhere because we're clearly to dumb as a society to figure it out on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I was somewhere recently (maybe sfo) and almost everyone was standing back from the belt because they had a painted line a couple feet back. They should really just do that everywhere because we're clearly to dumb as a society to figure it out on our own.
    Kinda like when they paint bumble bees in the bottom of the urinals to reduce, ahem, "spillage".
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

If it's not the speed limit there is something wrong/.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    This. However I have seen it in other countries too. Its universal.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Nice park dickface!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	227294

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Nice park dickface!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	227294

This is wrong in several ways besides the obvious. Whichever of the two parked second made it tough for themselves to get out of the car. Backing into a parking spot in a public parking lot is always wrong--ties up traffic. A lot easier to back out into a traffic lane than to back into a parking stall, as the picture clearly demonstrates. (I do back in in concert parking lots when I know a lot of people will be walking between the rows in the dark when I'm pulling out. Maybe people should use the flashlights on their phones while walking to their car in that situation.)