Page 1350 of 1843 FirstFirst ... 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 ... LastLast
Results 33,726 to 33,750 of 46059
    #SMH

My rice comes out fine--it just leaves me a mess to clean up. What I really need is a glass top for the pot so I can see when it starts to boil up and I need to put a heat diverter under it. I'm easily distracted in the kitchen. That's the real problem--my back to the stove, chopping everything that goes into the stir fry. Turn around and oh shit--boiled over again.

Got a nice official looking letter from the IRS. After I stuffed my heart back in my chest and opened the envelope--it was Uncle Joe making sure we got our stimulus checks. Seems like they could make the envelope a little less intimidating.

Rice.

rinse rinse rinse. preheat oven to 375F

in pot/pan/whatever (something with a lid) put rice and water (or chx or veggie or whatever broth) in 1 : 1.5 ratio.
    maybe a little butter or oil, but you don't have to. same with salt and pepper. bring to a boil. other spices if you're inclined.
    then turn off the stovetop, put the lid on, and chuck it into the oven for 18 minutes.

take it out. let it sit for at least ten minutes before uncovering.

there's your 20-30 minutes to finish up whatever is going with the rice.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Just get an Instant Pot. White rice in 12 minutes, brown in 15. Not affected by altitude. I got rid of my rice cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The battery in the “fuzzy logic” rice cookers. Eventually wears out, you need to take it completely apart, unsolder the holder and battery. Solder in new battery and then solder in new holder.

Could not be made harder

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Planned obsolescence.

I learned the only piece of advice anyone needs to know about cooking rice when I was about 7 years old: "two parts to one part." End of fucking instructions. It's rice FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I learned the only piece of advice anyone needs to know about cooking rice when I was about 7 years old: "two parts to one part." End of fucking instructions. It's rice FFS.
    I use this for regular long grain and medium grain rice. I recently grabbed a huge bag of Basmati from Sam's. Made the first batch, with normal method, and it was way too much water. Instructions on the bag 1 cup rice/1.5cups water. rinse rice, bring to boil IN water, low simmer for 15min...perfect every fucking time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I use this for regular long grain and medium grain rice. I recently grabbed a huge bag of Basmati from Sam's. Made the first batch, with normal method, and it was way too much water. Instructions on the bag 1 cup rice/1.5cups water. rinse rice, bring to boil IN water, low simmer for 15min...perfect every fucking time.
    Basmati is interesting and you can get very different good results with very different cooking methods. Rinsing drastically reduces the cooking time but makes sticky rice, which is good for some things. I do 2:1, 20 mins, no rinse, and it comes out great, with or without being toasted in butter first. However, I cook it on med low instead of low.

We’ve gone multiple pages on how to cook fucking rice? What’s next? How to prepare breakfast cereal?

Jesus Christ.
    focus.

Rice is fascinating. There are almost as many different ways to cook it as there are people on the planet. And there are a lot more varieties of it then one would guess growing up in 'Murica.

I live at 6000 feet--a little extra water because it takes longer to cook and to account for the water that boils over.

Of course they aren't necessary and you can easily make rice withou them, but rice cookers are fucking awesome. Put the shit in and turn it on and forget about it until it's time to eat. Frees up stovetop for cooking other foods. Are they necessary? Of course not. Are you cooler because you "don't need" a rice cooker? Hell no, you're just a riceist.

The guy across from me at the intersection who looked around, rolled his window down, and inconspicuously tossed some trash into the road before driving off. Fuck that guy.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    The guy across from me at the intersection who looked around, rolled his window down, and inconspicuously tossed some trash into the road before driving off. Fuck that guy.
    As an adult, I can't believe that a normal part of my childhood was doing trash patrol in our yard on the side of a 4-lane road before mowing the lawn in the midwest. I once had someone throw trash out their window while I was mowing. People suck.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, try running over a tossed diaper with a riding mower. Literal shit that annoyed me.

Talk doesn’t cook rice -fortune cookie

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Technical oxymorons. Also, morons.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Hell no, you're just a riceist.
    Even if you only make brown rice?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Basmati is interesting and you can get very different good results with very different cooking methods. Rinsing drastically reduces the cooking time but makes sticky rice, which is good for some things. I do 2:1, 20 mins, no rinse, and it comes out great, with or without being toasted in butter first. However, I cook it on med low instead of low.
    Interesting. The basmati I got, following given instructions on packaging, does not turn out in the slightest bit sticky. I know what you're saying too as I have experienced it with other rice. Ill grab the name soon.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Of course they aren't necessary and you can easily make rice withou them, but rice cookers are fucking awesome. Put the shit in and turn it on and forget about it until it's time to eat. Frees up stovetop for cooking other foods. Are they necessary? Of course not. Are you cooler because you "don't need" a rice cooker? Hell no, you're just a riceist.
    Hell ya it makes you cooler if you don't need a rice cooker. C'mon, it's all I got in the coolness arena, don't take it away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I live at 6000 feet--a little extra water because it takes longer to cook and to account for the water that boils over.
    I live at the nosebleed inducing altitude of 400'. That's four hundred.

Arsenic in rice is annoying.

No need to be ashamed --you make up for it in latitude.

No need to be ashamed --you make up for it in latitude.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I was stopped at an intersection yesterday. A guy on the other side was walking across the crosswalk. In the middle of the intersection he stops and sets his Mcdonalds cup down on the road. Then continues walking. WTF? There was a garbage can 20ft from the corner at a bus stop he walked by seconds later....

Fucking UPS fucksticks fucking up my fucking biking program. Fuck them with barbed sticks dipped in lemon juice and cayenne pepper.

Last Sat I hop on my bike and realize my dropper cartridge is blown, bike is unrideable. I call every shop in town, no replacement cartridge anywhere so I order one from Jenson. It's in stock, I go with 2 day shipping so I'm not waiting a week to ride again. Jenson hands the cartridge to UPS Sat afternoon, the tracking shows Tuesday delivery. I'm psyched and decline the offers from a couple friends and a local mag (thanks BasinBeater, should have taken you up on it!) to loan me the part. Tuesday comes and goes, delivery date updates to Wed. No biggie, I'm getting crushed at work and I can wait an extra day. I'm keeping an eye on the website all day yesterday and the lack of update seems suspicious. 7PM deadlines for delivery goes by, no dropper. Fuck. This morning the delivery date magically has changed to Friday 7PM.
    Meanwhile the warranty replacement from OneUp which shipped Wednesday (without any speedy delivery option) is scheduled to arrive at the same time.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise