Page 1087 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 ... LastLast
Results 27,151 to 27,175 of 46183
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yup. We "played" it too at my elementary in Seattle. Looking back at it now you can see what a mean f*cked up "game" it was but I suppose we all made it out alive. At least I think we did. What do I know, one of those kids (victim or perp) could have turned out to be a serial killer.
    Once in awhile the teachers would play too, pretty sure that wouldn’t fly today. Elementary school in Seattle has changed a bit from the 70’s but we survived and became adults. I never did understand the asphalt play field
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Charges dropped in dodgeball case. I hadn’t realized the kid charged was black and the complainant kid was white. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Once in awhile the teachers would play too, pretty sure that wouldn’t fly today. Elementary school in Seattle has changed a bit from the 70’s but we survived and became adults. I never did understand the asphalt play field
    At my school one of them became a serial rapist.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Personally I would aim for center of mass.
    Rookie mistake. Too easy to catch. Headshots or juke them into leaving the ground and take their feet out from under them. I speak from experience. As a recipient.

Dodgeball, StQ, and the somewhat less popular butts up (catch the tennis ball coming off the wall or you have to kneel on all fours while everyone take there best shot at your junk) All completely endorsed PE activities on 70s era playgrounds

Shit that annoys you

My favorite was “every man”.... no teams. No sides. No lines. If you get the ball you can take two steps and throw. If the other person catches it you’re out. You can target anybody, next to you or across the gym. Goes until last man standing or the teacher called everybody in. Due to the format you can target somebody against a wall or corner. Throw it three feet to their left to force them into the corner in such a way that you can get the rebound and run them down, each time getting closer and closer until they’re more or less helpless.

Got pretty brutal and did a good job of reinforcing cliques and social statuses. Hit the popular kid or the hot girl? You’re fucking toast as all the climbers/admirers will target you in order to curry favor.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Rookie mistake. Too easy to catch. Headshots or juke them into leaving the ground and take their feet out from under them. I speak from experience. As a recipient.
    Oh, are we still talking about dodgeball?

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    At my school one of them became a serial rapist.
    One of the teachers in jr high had a thing for boys, one the boys came back and whacked him. He was one of those teachers that had students over for parties

Darrell Cloud fatally shot his former teacher at Whitman Middle School in 1994 after a decade of sexual abuse. He was released from prison in 2003.

Mike Carter By Mike Carter
    Seattle Times staff reporter
    Darrell Cloud, who spent nine years in prison for killing a Seattle teacher who sexually molested him, has been arrested in connection with the death of his ex-girlfriend in Spokane last year.

According to The Spokesman-Review, Cloud, 48, has been arrested on a warrant charging him with second-degree murder in Spokane County Superior Court for the 2016 death of Candy Fealy, a woman who was severely injured and brain-damaged after a beating in 2012. According to news reports, Cloud was a person of interest in that case.

Cloud attended Whitman Middle School in Seattle in the early 1980s. In January 1994, when he was 24 years old, he hid outside the school with an assault-style rifle and shot his former social-studies teacher, Neal Summers, in the back from about 150 feet away.

00:1101:55
    Powered by Minute Media powered-by-strip
    Cloud said he had been sexually molested by Summers and that the abuse had continued until the day of the shooting. He pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, but he was convicted and served nine years in prison.

Police soon discovered evidence that the popular social-studies teacher had begun sexually abusing Cloud, a teacher’s assistant, when he was 14.

However, the school district paid him $250,000 to settle a lawsuit alleging it should have supervised Summers more closely.

Cloud got out of prison in 2003. According to news reports, he became a person of interest in the brutal beating of Fealy after she was left, unconscious and with a brain injury, in a wheelchair outside a Spokane hospital in April 2012.

ADVERTISING

Fealy died July 29, 2016.

According to news reports, Dr. Sally Aiken with the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office attributed her death to pneumonia and infection from her brain injuries. She ruled the death a homicide.

Last week, according to court records, a second-degree- murder charge was filed against Cloud in connection to Fealy’s death.

Delivered weeknights, this email newsletter gives you a quick recap of the day's top stories and need-to-know news, as well as intriguing photos and topics to spark conversation as you wind down from your day.
    Cloud was arrested Tuesday in King County and was set for a court appearance Wednesday.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I really don't understand how this game, "tips", where the ball is thrown straight up into the air, results in someone being hit in the face and suffering a concussion. Perhaps while everyone was looking up at the ball, punches were thrown? Pants pulled down??

Both boy's parents should sue the school for allowing such weak games.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.
    watch out for snakes

Dodgeball was a chaotic mess in grade school, there I went into survival mode and had no strategy. When I moved to jackson, I joined a dodgeball team in the late fall (there is fucking nothing to do in the late fall there, can't bike or ski, so most people just drink or do dumb shit like dodgeball) and as an adult I finally got a good strategy going. Send a few near-head shots booming off the back wall to start the game, the opposing team will start scared and defensive after hearing that and getting a close fly-by near their noggin.

Hot Tate was on my team, he was rad! We also had the 'worlds most famous snowboarder' on our team, but he didn't show up all the time. And yes, he was really good. A natural of course.

Shit that annoys you

I knew smear the queer as kill the carrier, 90s kid. Red rover felt more violent and iirc, that was banned from school grounds.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I knew smear the queer as kill the carrier, 90s kid. Red rover felt more violent and iirc, that was banned from school grounds.
    Yeah, we just called it, “Kill the man with the ball.”
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

we weren't quite so evolved

Occasionally we used kill the pill

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    One of the teachers in jr high had a thing for boys...
    We had a teacher who was a rump-ranger at my high school. He was also head coach of the Bee football team. We gave him shit during one of the last practices of the season, shouting shit at him across the field to where the "Mighty Bees" were practicing. Our coaches laughed at first (they didn't like him). but then told us to knock it off. We didn't, so they made us run a mile on the track. Good times!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

So I reckon America is the only country that has dodgeball, etc., as a kids school sport.
    (Canada too maybe??)
    Pretty sure no such shit in Yuroland, fwiw.
    Various ersions of "tag, you're it" is about all I remember...(british bulldog...chopsticks...)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Smear the queer was a daily occurrence in my neighborhood. It was basically the perfect game. No organization required whatsoever, and you ran your ass off and hit/got hit a bunch. Yeah, sure, kids got hurt, feelings got hurt, but whatever, nobody died or was seriously injured beyond the random broken bone. Sometimes we tried to play football, but it usually devolved into smear the queer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    So I reckon America is the only country that has dodgeball, etc., as a kids school sport.
    (Canada too maybe??)
    Pretty sure no such shit in Yuroland, fwiw.
    Various ersions of "tag, you're it" is about all I remember...(british bulldog...chopsticks...)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I played dodgeball a lot growing up in France, not as a school sanctioned activity but it was the only thing going on during recess. It was as violent as what's described above. Always outside on a concrete surface to ensure maximum pain levels when you eat shit. I remember this guy who was a year older than me and an absolute god at the game. He threw in the weirdest way, not really a slingshot motion like a baseball throw, he'd basically push his arm straight out in front of him. Looked awkward but he NEVER fucking missed and threw harder than anyone else. Catching one of his shot was seen as legendary. I did it once, I wasn't close to him, it was perfectly centered on the chest, I got both arms around it when it hit and it still bounced up into my chin and just about knocked me out...
    I distinctly remember watching him nail a kid who was running at full speed along the chainlink fence on the side of the school yard. His head bounced on one of the posts and he crumpled there, obviously concussed as shit. We laughed at him a bunch as he wobbled away to complain to the teacher who probably told him to fuck right off.

Viva la France
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Kill the Man with the Ball. Man, we loved that. Every recess in middle school. Pounded the hell out of each other.

Dodge Ball - middle school, but also high school. KTMWTB wasn't ok anymore in high school cause you didn't want to get grass stained in front of the girls. Dodgeball was full on war.

Wall Ball - grade school I think. You threw a tennis ball against a wall and caught it. If you bobbled it you had to go run and touch the wall before someone else picked up the ball and hit either the wall or you with the ball. Nothing like getting whacked in the back of the head with a tennis ball from 5 feet away time after time. Good stuff.

Tackle Football - we were big on this. Full on football, no pads. Sometimes in the middle of the street on asphalt. One of the greatest games ever was on a 2' snowstorm a few days before Christmas. Like 8 degrees. Frostbite AND injuries.

Fantastic.

It's funny how i can remember all this but can't remember stuff from three weeks ago. That may or may not be related to all the times I got hit in the head playing the aforementioned games...

When a company makes a big deal about a new product (Sony headphones in this case), you see rave reviews about it all over the place, store display has been set up since early July, you get stoked on said product, and so you're all ready to drive to the store on release day with a metaphorical fistful of cash [insert shutupandtakemymoney.gif here], and nothing... Nobody has stock. Even looked into ordering online and it went from "Arriving August 1st!" to now "Expected to ship end of August." Big box chain website now says "Unavailable locally." Don't know what that fancy store display is for then. Dammit! I wanted said product before a trip I'm taking this weekend and thought I had plenty of time since I've been wanting to purchase for like a month now. Laaaaaaame. Oh, but they're on eBay! With sellers showing pallets stacked with them. Hmmmm...... Totally a 1st world problem but still mildly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Oh, but they're on eBay! With sellers showing pallets stacked with them.
    I remember seeing story where people were lined up outside a store to buy the new iphone, and some woman shows up thinking she's going to buy a spot at the front of the line and then buy the store out of phones to re-sell. When she got in the store they had a limit of one per customer. Ha ha.... People like her annoy me.

Edit - found it

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Yeah, we just called it, “Kill the man with the ball.”
    Same here, also from Joisey.

Discovering that you left a window in the house wide open with the AC going and the outside temps inching towards 100.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Ha, my one cat likes to drink from the faucet. I only let it dribble but once in a while I go into the bathroom in the morning only to find it was running all night.
    watch out for snakes