Page 1665 of 1849 FirstFirst ... 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 ... LastLast
Results 41,601 to 41,625 of 46225
    Love the out-of-office replies.

If asked in such a non-work environment as a ski lift, I just tell them I work for the govt (true) as auditor with Customs and Revenue (Canuck tax office) (false). Pleased to meet you. What was your name again?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Fuck that! In my experience the immediate move to discussing employment is a US-centric problem. People here tend to define themselves by their profession more than anywhere else I've been. Which is fucking weird when they're sitting on a lift talking to another person who obviously shares their interest in making turns... What could 2 people who like sliding on snow possibly talk about?? Work, clearly. Last thing I want to do is talk about work, ever, and my job in incredibly interesting.

I flat out refuse to talk about what I do if I run into people out and about and they bring it up. I'm not going to be defined by what I have to spend 40 hours a week doing to pay the bills. You're seeing me on snow, that's what I do, and that's what I wish I were doing all day every day (change that to riding bikes in the summer). I also happen to work in a field most people tend to hate, and bringing it up leads to even shittier conversations I'd rather never have. If pushed, I'll eventually tell people I married way above my station and my wife works while I fuck around outside like the degen they expect me to be.
    Tell them you are

Name:  01bd8dd34b801d97fc0702989ebc4d32.gif
Views: 378
Size:  991.5 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I flat out refuse to talk about what I do if I run into people out and about and they bring it up. I'm not going to be defined by what I have to spend 40 hours a week doing to pay the bills.
    Hell, I'm not sure my wife actually knows what I do for work.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Hell, I'm not sure my wife actually knows what I do for work.
    This a repeat, but friend of mine was a sys admin at some company that was basically Initech. It was in one of those low nondescript buildings sandwiched between an industrial park and major road with chain restaurants and pawn shops. All the cube people wore button-up shirts and chinos. I met him there one day, and asked "what do all these people do?" to which he replied, "I dunno... stuff"

If pushed, I'll eventually tell people I married way above my station and my wife works while I fuck around outside like the degen they expect me to be.
    I used to ski with a guy who not only said that, it was 100% true. Chillest dude ever.

Agree with your general sentiment. Whenever I've told someone what my career job was, more often than not it started long boring conversations about my work. Basically shop talk with someone who doesn't know anything about my "shop". Or worse, people who thought they knew everything about it.

Now I say greeting card salesman.
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 03-15-2023 at 04:45 PM.

I'll eventually tell people I married way above my station and my wife works while I fuck around outside like the degen they expect me to be.
    Considering this is 100% gospel for my situation currently, I lead with it. Also job searching in this economic situation annoys me.

I also don’t discuss outside of work activities with work people. My life and my work life are completely separate. And no I’m not coming to the company Xmas party in Utah, where no drinks are ever served. That also annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My buddy has a wall in his shop with a bunch of his old bump comp bibs, trail maps and lift tickets. You run through those lift tickets and its like, A-Basin $19; Breck $25; Steamboat $20; Kmart $32... and that's from the late 90s and we're like half of Old Goat's age so it's not like this is from Warren Miller's days of sleeping in lots either.
    Back in my day the resorts paid us to ski there.

It's always amusing to be riding a chair with someone --not old--and find out they're on disability.
    When I was working I hated talking about work or tell people what I did. Now that I'm retired I can't shut up about it.

My buddy was making small talk with super serious local bro DH'er on the Whistler bike park chairlift and asks what the guy does up here for work.

"Ride fast, fuck lots of chicks"

For a long time that became our answer whenever anyone on the chair asked that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Also, $290 day tickets are annoying
    Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus. I'm thinking that's USD too...
    Utah's still in the US, yes.

how would you know?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Okay maybe they seceded and I didn't hear about it. But it seemed pretty similar to America in most ways when I was there recently.

When someone asks me what I did before retiring I tell them what my wife would tell her friends when they asked what her husband did for a living. "Anything he can do without having to get a real job."
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Along the lines of people trying to corner you into talking about shit you don't want to talk about...tourist guy in the tram line a few days ago strikes up a convo with me about conditions., etc., great, so we start talking, next thing I know he's going on and on about covid and loudly rehashing everything about it and how everything we did was wrong ("I'm a physician" he said several times) and covid this and masks that and yadayadayada. I just turned my back to him and did not say one more word. Eventually he got the message. Who the fuck wants to talk about fucking covid in the tram line on a great ski day?! What a dipshit.

Well it WAS all over the news back then and some were acting like it would all go away in the spring.

Remember how it was?

Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    No need to be a twat if someone asks you a question about what you do IRL, you might meet someone interesting one day.
    Save it for the TGRz.
    I had a great "what do you do?" lift ride at Park City the other weekend on a fantastic powder day (everyone was in a great mood, duh). Riding up McConkey's and this guy (much to his wife's embarrassment) says he's an amateur comedian and asks if everyone on the lift if we want to hear some snowboarder and ski patroller/instructor jokes, full-well aware that there was a boarder and a troller on the chair. He proceeded to tell all the usuals (how many ____ does it take to screw in a lightbulb?) and then followed it up with a couple really raunchy ones.
    I still call it The Jake.

I had a great "what do you do?" lift ride at Park City the other weekend on a fantastic powder day (everyone was in a great mood, duh). Riding up McConkey's and this guy (much to his wife's embarrassment) says he's an amateur comedian and asks if everyone on the lift if we want to hear some snowboarder and ski patroller/instructor jokes, full-well aware that there was a boarder and a troller on the chair. He proceeded to tell all the usuals (how many ____ does it take to screw in a lightbulb?) and then followed it up with a couple really raunchy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Along the lines of people trying to corner you into talking about shit you don't want to talk about...
    Yeah I've had a few of those. Stop in at a new MTB trailhead last year outside Zion and met some guys as I was packing up. One of them sees my CA plates and goes on a huge rant about how CA and especially LA sucks, total shithole, gun laws, immigrants, blah blah . Then asks me where I'm from. SD...says that's cool. "There are still some good conservatives in SD". These guys were from Vegas. Yeah, not a shithole at all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    The snowboarder jokes were the usual ones:

What do you call a snowboarder without a girlfriend? Homeless.

A snowboarder and another guy get into a car, who's driving? The cop.

The patroller/instructor ones were the same usuals:

How many instructors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

(I said one, and the rest of the resort to revolve around him) but the guy said one, and 4 others to say, "nice turn".

The one raunchy one I remember was appropos given Tiger's recent relationship troubles.

Guy gets married and said to his bride on their wedding night, "I'm so glad we saved our virginity for eachother".

Wife says, "well, I have slept with one guy, sorry, hon".

Shocked the guy says, "who was it, anyone I know"?

"yeah, Tiger Woods, know him", she says.

"Of course" as the groom gets undressed, eager to bang it out, "That's, um, cool, I guess".

"Ok, I'm sorry, it was before we started dating", she said.

"No worries, let's go, I'm so jacked for this", he said.

**10 mintues later***

"WHEW! That was worth the wait"! said the new husband, "good for you"?

"well...."

"well, what"?

"Tiger usually lasted an hour or more", she said.

Not to be outdone by Tiger Woods he hops back in bed for Round 2.

**45 minutes later**

"Bet Tiger never had that kinda fun, huh?!" the new husband asked his wife.

"Well...."

"Ok, fuck that", the husband said as he climbed back in bed. Shaking and dehydrated.

***hours later***

Husband gets out of bed. Weak, shaking and hungry.

"Honey, what are you doing?" asks the wife as the husband is trying to reach the bedside phone. "Tiger wouldn't stop for room service, he'd..."

The husband cuts her off, "babe, I'm not calling room service, I'm calling Tiger to see what par is for this hole".
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My buddy used to answer the "what do you do" question with "as little as possible."
    “Whatever I want.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Tell them you are

Name:  01bd8dd34b801d97fc0702989ebc4d32.gif
Views: 378
Size:  991.5 KB
    Nice old school snl reference. Fred Garvin came up recently in conversation - I somehow forget the context. I’m old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Well it WAS all over the news back then and some were acting like it would all go away in the spring.

Remember how it was?

Yeah, I remember, so fucking what. That was then, this is now. If I never have to listen to another word about it, especially from some jackass know it all, that will be just fine with me.

(I said one, and the rest of the resort to revolve around him) but the guy said one, and 4 others to say, "nice turn".
    Gotta admit that one's pretty good.

I’ve become way too damn city for my britches

Those stupid poles that are 10 feet long that have become popular for some reason.

I said what I said.
    Thank you for this. You’ve got my backing 100% here.