Page 1664 of 1849 FirstFirst ... 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 ... LastLast
Results 41,576 to 41,600 of 46221
    My buddy has a wall in his shop with a bunch of his old bump comp bibs, trail maps and lift tickets. You run through those lift tickets and its like, A-Basin $19; Breck $25; Steamboat $20; Kmart $32... and that's from the late 90s and we're like half of Old Goat's age so it's not like this is from Warren Miller's days of sleeping in lots either.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Also, $290 day tickets are annoying
    un fucking believable.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My buddy has a wall in his shop with a bunch of his old bump comp bibs, trail maps and lift tickets. You run through those lift tickets and its like, A-Basin $19; Breck $25; Steamboat $20; Kmart $32... and that's from the late 90s and we're like half of Old Goat's age so it's not like this is from Warren Miller's days of sleeping in lots either.
    Why isn’t skiing growing as a sport? Who knows

When it got cheaper for the locals to buy cocaine instead of a day on the slopes, that's when the town went to shit.

And to the Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My buddy used to answer the "what do you do" question with "as little as possible."
    Good answer.

A couple of the guys I ski with mention what they do for work the majority of the time when we're riding with strangers. I find that odd because that's something I have a zero percent chance of mentioning unprompted and I could basically care less what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'm thinking that's USD too...
    Going to let you in on a little border town secret. Canadians always say "American?" here, much to the bemusement and/or annoyance of locals.

For instance, one of my friends from Vancouver asked what a nicer house in my hood would go for. I said anything under six hundred is probably a dump. His reply, "whoa, American?"

Same thing when another friend asked what a Baker season's pass cost. "Yes, money in the US is the American dollar."

But the funniest/strangest part is that real estate and lift tickets in my town are still dramatically lower than the Vancouver area.

It's not?

The thought that it needs to annoys me.

My buddy used to answer the "what do you do" question with "as little as possible."
    A friend has shortened that one to simply "do?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    that's something I have a zero percent chance of mentioning unprompted and I could basically care less what you do.
    Same, same. I never tell people unprompted IRL, and don't really care what they "do" either.

The question I hear a lot on the chair is "where you from?" because the presupposition is just moved from California, or Vancouver/Seattle tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It's not?

The thought that it needs to annoys me.
    Mikaela set the all time Alpine World Cup record and it wasn't even on page 1 of ESPN/CBSports and the other usual cast of free websites (not sure about Athletic, et al) until the following day when it was buried under 5 Lakers articles/videos.

It just doesn't register (not surprisingly) with many. But you still have Lindsey making the rounds at the Oscars and Olympic years bring attention and park/pipe skiing now gets the prime time TV spots for the X games over snowboarding and the like so maybe all is not lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    <snip>
    Same, same. I never tell people unprompted IRL, and don't really care what they "do" either.
    The "Finance Guys" will *always* tell you, unprompted, from my experience. Those fuckers are invariably annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Every single rando male I ride the chairlift with:

them: "So, what do you do?"

me: "I ski"

them: "what do you do for work?"

I've just started making shit up at this point. It's more fun to see how they'll judge me in a 9 minute lift ride. Maybe this should be under things that amuse me.
    Good on you! Mess with them.

However, there is still only one correct answer: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Good on you! Mess with them.

However, there is still only one correct answer: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
    There's another correct answer:

"Bit of this, bit of that, bit of the other."

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Mikaela set the all time Alpine World Cup record and it wasn't even on page 1 of ESPN/CBSports and the other usual cast of free websites (not sure about Athletic, et al) until the following day when it was buried under 5 Lakers articles/videos.

It just doesn't register (not surprisingly) with many. But you still have Lindsey making the rounds at the Oscars and Olympic years bring attention and park/pipe skiing now gets the prime time TV spots for the X games over snowboarding and the like so maybe all is not lost.
    The Athletic has zero mention of her. Which is annoying.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Athletic has zero mention of her. Which is annoying.
    I don't get it, if you watch the video the USST put together to congratulate her it was LOADED with celebrities and sports icons congratulating her, Peyton Manning, Jeter, Roger Federer, Russ Wilson and his wife, Chloe Kim, Patrick Dempsey (who I think is doing an incredible job promoting skiing and the USST), Chelsea Handler, Gus Kenworthy, Simone Biles, the Today Show hosts... Apparently even with all them shining a light on her accomplishment that's not enough to merit ESPN moving a Jake Paul article or two down the feed.

ESPN, annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A friend has shortened that one to simply "do?"

The question I hear a lot on the chair is "where you from?" because the presupposition is just moved from California, or Vancouver/Seattle tourist.
    In small towns it helps you draw connections. I frequently tell people where I work, but I stay pretty vague on what I do just because that gets weird. I’ll often ask people what they do if they’re local and I don’t know them. Just the other day it helped me connect the dots to an old friend I hadn’t seen in years who retired from the same place he worked at. Turns out they were college roommates ‘n’ shit and stayed in touch. Passed on well wishes and maybe I’ll call him one of these days….
    focus.

Just hope that these new found friends don't go showing up on your porch asking you to stop down for tea.

Yesterday I was having a beer with a friend I've know and done stuff with for 3 years. She said she had a rough day at work. It occurred to me that I had no idea what she did to pay bills. It is not something I ever think about. Turns out she's a PACU nurse. Hmm. To mitigate any conversation on the lifts, I just slowly bob my head like an Indian pretending that I'm listening to tunes.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

No need to be a twat if someone asks you a question about what you do IRL, you might meet someone interesting one day.
    Save it for the TGRz.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    No need to be a twat if someone asks you a question about what you do IRL, you might meet someone interesting one day.
    Save it for the TGRz.
    Fuck that! In my experience the immediate move to discussing employment is a US-centric problem. People here tend to define themselves by their profession more than anywhere else I've been. Which is fucking weird when they're sitting on a lift talking to another person who obviously shares their interest in making turns... What could 2 people who like sliding on snow possibly talk about?? Work, clearly. Last thing I want to do is talk about work, ever, and my job in incredibly interesting.

I flat out refuse to talk about what I do if I run into people out and about and they bring it up. I'm not going to be defined by what I have to spend 40 hours a week doing to pay the bills. You're seeing me on snow, that's what I do, and that's what I wish I were doing all day every day (change that to riding bikes in the summer). I also happen to work in a field most people tend to hate, and bringing it up leads to even shittier conversations I'd rather never have. If pushed, I'll eventually tell people I married way above my station and my wife works while I fuck around outside like the degen they expect me to be.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus. I'm thinking that's USD too... Fucking criminal.
    …plus tax

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Fuck that! In my experience the immediate move to discussing employment is a US-centric problem. People here tend to define themselves by their profession more than anywhere else I've been. Which is fucking weird when they're sitting on a lift talking to another person who obviously shares their interest in making turns... What could 2 people who like sliding on snow possibly talk about?? Work, clearly. Last thing I want to do is talk about work, ever, and my job in incredibly interesting.

I flat out refuse to talk about what I do if I run into people out and about and they bring it up. I'm not going to be defined by what I have to spend 40 hours a week doing to pay the bills. You're seeing me on snow, that's what I do, and that's what I wish I were doing all day every day (change that to riding bikes in the summer). I also happen to work in a field most people tend to hate, and bringing it up leads to even shittier conversations I'd rather never have. If pushed, I'll eventually tell people I married way above my station and my wife works while I fuck around outside like the degen they expect me to be.
    Degen from upcountry.

It's like we're brothers... although my job is NOT incredibly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Degen from upcountry.
    Shit, I am technically from upcountry. Different country but certainly up from where I am now. Hate degens from upcountry...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's like we're brothers... although my job is NOT incredibly interesting.
    Thing is, interesting or not we're not on the hill to yap about the office. I can spray about skiing for hours on end and it's fun. Talking about work makes me feel like I'm there, and being there isn't my preferred way to spend time. Thus the obfuscation and possibly the lies when people ask.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Ha. Yes, exactly.

I saw this somewhere a while back, thought it applies:

European "out-of-office-autoreply"
    I'm away camping for the summer. Please email back in September.

US "out-of-office-autoreply"
    I have left the office for two hours to undergo kidney surgery, but you can reach me on my cell any time!

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Ha. Yes, exactly.

I saw this somewhere a while back, thought it applies:

European "out-of-office-autoreply"
    I'm away camping for the summer. Please email back in September.

US "out-of-office-autoreply"
    I have left the office for two hours to undergo kidney surgery, but you can reach me on my cell any time!
    Can confirm.
    My sis who still lives in France has been at work for maybe 3 months in the past 3 years. 2 rounds of maternity leave, COVID, and a big ortho injury, somehow she still managed to take 3 weeks off this summer during which she will not look at email once.
    I've worked with a couple of companies in Europe lately, and finding times that work for calls is hellacious. People will flat out tell you they can't work with you unless you're willing to schedule the call when it's convenient for them (between 8a and 5p but outside of the 1.5h lunch break), and if that happens to be the middle of the night for you, well, so be it. I forced a couple of Frenchies and Spaniards to be on the phone at 7pm their time yesterday and they were livid. Pretty sure they won't work with us just because of this indignity.

Maybe things are worse in Japan/Korea than in the US? They have a fierce work culture there, I don't envy them.