Page 1670 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 ... LastLast
Results 41,726 to 41,750 of 46183
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Come on, now. Anyone without physical or mental limitations can learn to drive a car safely. It's not rocket science. It does, however, take some practice.
    Maybe you should walk a kilometer in someone else's moccasins.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Maybe you should walk a kilometer in someone else's moccasins.
    I'm really not seeing your point here. Why can't people who are capable of driving drive? I understand that some people would prefer to be chauffeured around, but that doesn't seem like a great reason to not drive to me. Again, if there's some valid reason not to drive (age, physical limitations. etc.), that's different. If you are capable of driving but choose not to, don't expect others to cart you around. What am I missing?

I'm really not seeing your point here. Why can't people who are capable of driving drive? I understand that some people would prefer to be chauffeured around, but that doesn't seem like a great reason to not drive to me. Again, if there's some valid reason not to drive (age, physical limitations. etc.), that's different. If you are capable of driving but choose not to, don't expect others to cart you around. What am I missing?
    You don't know everyone's circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This is really annoying. The fact that someone would be so stupid to post this meme
    I generally scroll right by that kind of content, but this particular one is just so strange and unfunny. And how the hell does it belong in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    This is a surprise? It's not if you think about it. Back in our day, you could actually GET AWAY from your parents, and we knew we were on our own. No cell phones, no pagers, no airpods tracking us. No method of immediate guaranteed communication or even location information. Add a solid dose of the survailance/tiktok recording state and knowing that somewhere, someone is recording whatever is going on. Combine that with cars that you can't do some shade tree DIY to tune, fix up or customize to your teenage whims, and the whole concept of independence is gone. What illusion of independence are we offering kids now?
    Sure, and the other side of this coin is a double whammy for teenagers wanting to drive, where they don’t NEED to occupy the same physical space to have high context interaction with their friends and peers. Anybody who has witnessed a group of teenagers in a living room all silently working their phones, with the occasional giggle or callout, knows this.

Given how unsafe they are on the roads I consider this a good thing, on balance. It wouldn’t bother me too much if my kids were a little less excited to be able to drive, but both my oldest have worked the system such that they are fully licensed by day 0 of their legal driving age.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Well we don’t have snow on the roads anymore so I’ve pushed her to start driving herself again so my wife can sleep an extra hour a day.
    Her excuse this morning was my truck is blocking her in the driveway. I moved my truck. Mom still drove her to school. That annoys me.
    It annoys me how wrong I was today 😂
    Wife just got home with said adult child to half an inch of frozen graupel, sliding around icy corners from this freak storm that just went through.
    Driving the Mini would have been pretty sketch in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    This is a surprise? It's not if you think about it. Back in our day, you could actually GET AWAY from your parents, and we knew we were on our own. No cell phones, no pagers, no airpods tracking us. No method of immediate guaranteed communication or even location information. Add a solid dose of the survailance/tiktok recording state and knowing that somewhere, someone is recording whatever is going on. Combine that with cars that you can't do some shade tree DIY to tune, fix up or customize to your teenage whims, and the whole concept of independence is gone. What illusion of independence are we offering kids now?
    I remember trying to explain to my dad how put 120 miles on the car on a Saturday night. (I don't remember the reasons--not the real one and not the one I made up.)

Care to elaborate? Your one sentence responses aren't really helping me to understand.

Care to elaborate? Your one sentence responses aren't really helping me to understand.
    He can't and he won't because he thinks that because his kid has a disability the actual idiot kids who refuse to drive should be cut some slack.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This is really annoying. The fact that someone would be so stupid to post this meme

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Heh

Heh

How dare you!!

Maybe consider that this is TRG and not be so easily triggered.

Over exaggerated pow slashes that aren't even turns but more like quick hockey stops to blow snow up in front of cameras. It just isn't that nice to look at.
    I've seen video clips recently where every other "turn" is one of those. I'm not a fan.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Over exaggerated pow slashes that aren't even turns but more like quick hockey stops to blow snow up in front of cameras. It just isn't that nice to look at.
    I've seen video clips recently where every other "turn" is one of those. I'm not a fan.
    #golfclap
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It’s the same shit basically. I’m certainly bored of those shots anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    It’s the same shit basically. I’m certainly bored of those shot anymore
    Yeah, I scroll left immediately. I guess it doesn't really annoy me but it doesn't appeal to me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

You can lump what seems to be damm near every BC mag or Powder cover photo into that.

My IG feed is loaded with "pow-slayers" like this. I remember in the old days we made fun of those who locked their ankles together and tail-gunned their way down the mountain; not unlike this latest crop of skiers.

As a bumper I have no problem with no daylight getting through the legs, but you still gotta make a turn; you're not snowboarders for God's sake
    I still call it The Jake.

Basically the same as every Warren Miller movie the last fifteen years. I stopped watching them cause I’d get bored every time.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    You can lump what seems to be damm near every BC mag or Powder cover photo into that.
    Nah, those aren't what I mean. Most Hollywood turns that would be on the cover of pow are staged, yes but they were actual turns. I'll actually do those for photo work but we indeed trying to capture real turns. Maybe a little exaggerated but I'll do those even if there isn't a camera around.

I'm talking about the feet together, unnecessary pow jab.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My IG feed is loaded with "pow-slayers" like this. I remember in the old days we made fun of those who locked their ankles together and tail-gunned their way down the mountain; not unlike this latest crop of skiers.

As a bumper I have no problem with no daylight getting through the legs, but you still gotta make a turn; you're not snowboarders for God's sake

Yup, you know what I was thinking of. And lets not get those turns confused with bumpers, freaking bumpers are the raddest skiers out there imho!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I got off the lift a few weeks ago and saw this kid hiking up a closed run. He was really going at it like he was booting a couloir, I had seen the same technique out of snowboarders at Silverton, throwing their board in front of themselves for leverage. Well, he get about 50 feet up the trail and stops. I’m thinking, has he never ridden pow and wants to give it a try? Wonder if he’s going to be able to make a turn? It was a reasonably steep pitch and probably 2 feet of snow had accumulated. I start out the cat track all the while watching him and notice he has a buddy…. Aha! They’re filming for their social media. Sure enough the dude links these to big slashes with pow going everywhere. Ironically the riding of actual open terrain that day wasn’t that good. So these two twats spend a half hour to set up a little mock photo shoot to fool their followers. So rad.

Shit that annoys you

I hate to break it to you, but that’s how lots and lots of ski content is procured. Has been like that forever.

Maybe not the hiking into closed terrain thing, but the rest of it.

Since the thread has gone there, I'm just going to say it. 99% of POV sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Since the thread has gone there, I'm just going to say it. 99% of POV sucks.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I believe.