Page 1672 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 ... LastLast
Results 41,776 to 41,800 of 46050
    illinois is getting their pocket picked and they have to live in illinois?

yikes
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^Interesting. Whereabouts in IL did they reside? Whereabouts in CA are you?

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    illinois is getting their pocket picked and they have to live in illinois?

yikes
    But. There’s wilmot. And devils head. And tyrolia basin.

Otoh. That study says state and local tax.
    City tax is obnoxious. County is somewhat obscene
    State. Meh. It’s the state. Always theiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    How do they determine that taxation? Do they assume you're a property owner and include property taxes? What about those who don't own? And for places like CA, do they assume you recently purchased people or do they include the people who have property taxes really low because they bought years ago?
    You can purchase people in CA now?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^Interesting. Whereabouts in IL did they reside? Whereabouts in CA are you?
    I’m in Truckee (Tahoe). They were somewhere outside of Chicago, but don’t recall name.

^very interesting. Chicagoland RE taxes are exorbitant and I’m betting that a comparable dwelling Truckee is 2-3 times more expensive than a dwelling in NE Illinois.

^very interesting. Chicagoland RE taxes are exorbitant and I’m betting that a comparable dwelling Truckee is 2-3 times more expensive than a dwelling in NE Illinois.
    This is what Google turns up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33924ABB-72BC-47DB-AA15-15B324CEC151.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	452791

Name:	3B44E075-B6B9-4666-92A2-CCAACD9C104F.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	452792

Tahoe is fucking expensive, but I don’t think comparable houses in comparable locations are be 2-3 times as expensive in CA. Could be wrong though, as I’m not house shopping.

Bottom line is they'll get you somehow and it's just a different mix depending on where you live between income tax, property tax, and sales tax.

Also I don't have the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if on a statewide basis homes in CA are twice as expensive as in IL. Nearly anything outside Chicagoland is going to be dirt cheap, in contrast to California which has several expensive large metro areas plus a few very expensive resort areas.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Bottom line is they'll get you somehow and it's just a different mix depending on where you live between income tax, property tax, and sales tax.
    But that’s where CA is different, and why it’s targeted so much: it’s a progressive state tax structure, whereas ‘low tax’ states all have highly regressive state tax structures.

If you’re rich you definitely pay more here, but average or below average, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    I can’t believe that running a popular forum site like that cannot be profitable. Get rid of bullshit “professional” articles that are nothing’s bu marketing materials but keep the community ffs
    I blame Smartphones.....

My dad was a professional photographer in his retirement and basically had a camera in his hand his entire life. He was a prolific poster on that site and his wealth of knowledge only added to so much of the information that's already on there- reviews, photo comparisons, etc. from posters going back over 20 years. He had a lovely camera and lens collection that is now mine. The site has been an invaluable tool for researching some of the more rare items in his collection. That's what irks me- that it will just disappear, as opposed to being archived somewhere. Fuck Amazon. Dick move.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    But that’s where CA is different, and why it’s targeted so much: it’s a progressive state tax structure, whereas ‘low tax’ states all have highly regressive state tax structures.
    Washington is an exception. We have quite a regressive tax structure and pretty high taxes overall. Seems a bit strange for a blue state, but there you go.

Shit that annoys you

This is what Google turns up:

Name:	33924ABB-72BC-47DB-AA15-15B324CEC151.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	452791

Name:	3B44E075-B6B9-4666-92A2-CCAACD9C104F.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	452792

Tahoe is fucking expensive, but I don’t think comparable houses in comparable locations are be 2-3 times as expensive in CA. Could be wrong though, as I’m not house shopping.

973 Deerfield Rd, Highland Park
    $255,000 · 3beds · 2.5baths

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/ch3d6ys7

10210 White Fir Rd, Truckee
    $615,000 · 3beds · 2baths

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/jwa8n9j6

Very quick, rough “research” confirms my “theory”

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I blame Smartphones.....

My dad was a professional photographer in his retirement and basically had a camera in his hand his entire life. He was a prolific poster on that site and his wealth of knowledge only added to so much of the information that's already on there- reviews, photo comparisons, etc. from posters going back over 20 years. He had a lovely camera and lens collection that is now mine. The site has been an invaluable tool for researching some of the more rare items in his collection. That's what irks me- that it will just disappear, as opposed to being archived somewhere. Fuck Amazon. Dick move.
    It's sad. I've used that site a lot over the years, but I must admit my usage has dropped off recently. I had a feeling the writing was on the wall when they sold out to Amazon (which was, wow, way back in 2007!!). I'm actually a bit surprised it's been able to stay somewhat relevant so long after the buyout.

973 Deerfield Rd, Highland Park
    $255,000 · 3beds · 2.5baths

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/ch3d6ys7

10210 White Fir Rd, Truckee
    $615,000 · 3beds · 2baths

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/jwa8n9j6

Very quick, rough “research” confirms my “theory”
    Ok. Don’t know anything about Highland Park.

Fool says median price per square foot is $182 in Illinois vs $443 in CA, FWIW:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/mort...size-by-state/

^i don’t either as I’m downstate, I just quickly grabbed a comparable decent house to the cheapest decent house in Truckee. And that square footage estimate sounds about right, although my area is quite a bit cheaper.

But yea! 2% of assessed value is annoying!

^i don’t either as I’m downstate, I just quickly grabbed a comparable decent house to the cheapest decent house in Truckee. And that square footage estimate sounds about right, although my area is quite a bit cheaper.

But yea! 2% of assessed value is annoying!
    Also, we have Prop 13 here, which I think is a horrible law, but it limits assessed value to a max increase of 2% per year and CA prices have increased much more than that on average. So that 0.73% rate is generally decreasing the longer you’ve been in your home.

I think if Ca homeowners actually had to pay taxes on the true values of their homes they may be more willing allow more building to get prices back down.

It’s annoying how many people believe California is a high tax state, when they’d be paying lower taxes if they lived in California:

Attachment 452779
    *Assumes "Median U.S. Household" has an annual income of $69,508 (mean third quintile U.S.
    income); owns a home valued at $244,900 (median U.S. home value)

I'd argue that $70k is borderline poor in CA, but solidly middle class in some of the higher ranking states. And $250k ain't much house in any of the west coast states.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    *Assumes "Median U.S. Household" has an annual income of $69,508 (mean third quintile U.S.

I'd argue that $70k is borderline poor in CA, but solidly middle class in some of the higher ranking states. And $250k ain't much house in any of the west coast states.
    That seems like bullshit. We have three little towns where I live. Rich town, middle class town, and poor town. Property taxes in poor town are way higher than rich town, because the property values are all shit.
    focus.

The ITEP link I posted used state median incomes, not US.

California has the most progressive tax structure:

Name:	BE861F80-822D-47A4-AAFA-7DED03D04782.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	452798

If you want to compare state price parities, BEA has you covered:

https://www.bea.gov/data/prices-infl...and-metro-area

We've been looking at houses in CA for quite some time and we've toured several and made an offer, so I am knee deep in this process. My current NH house is probably in the 700k market range. In CA, Santa Cruz specifically, my house would be in the 3.5m range. I pay 6.7k in taxes. In SC, my taxes would be in the 30k range. So imo the tax rate isn't the issue, it's the inflated cost of a home in CA. Teardowns in SC are over a million. Its quite fucked really.

Highland park IL is actually a decent suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    We've been looking at houses in CA for quite some time and we've toured several and made an offer, so I am knee deep in this process. My current NH house is probably in the 700k market range. In CA, Santa Cruz specifically, my house would be in the 3.5m range. I pay 6.7k in taxes. In SC, my taxes would be in the 30k range. So imo the tax rate isn't the issue, it's the inflated cost of a home in CA. Teardowns in SC are over a million. Its quite fucked really.
    Santa Cruz is sweet but you can't get a creemee
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    We've been looking at houses in CA for quite some time and we've toured several and made an offer, so I am knee deep in this process. My current NH house is probably in the 700k market range. In CA, Santa Cruz specifically, my house would be in the 3.5m range. I pay 6.7k in taxes. In SC, my taxes would be in the 30k range. So imo the tax rate isn't the issue, it's the inflated cost of a home in CA. Teardowns in SC are over a million. It’s quite fucked really.
    Inflated home prices are definitely a problem here. I’ve read there’s a ‘national housing shortage’ (however that’s being defined) of 4-5 million units, and it’s all California…

That said, I don’t think Santa Cruz is ever coming down anywhere close to New Hampshire prices.

Re: DPReview

That site was/is an incredible resource. You can probably skip much of the high overhead photo review/personal gallery type stuff, but there is tons there that is absolutely worth archiving and would be a huge shame if lost. I was never hardcore there, but it does piss me off how tone deaf Amazon is about the value and use of data.

Would shit be so annoying if I had rectal ozone ?

Asking
    For a friend