Page 1712 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 ... LastLast
Results 42,776 to 42,800 of 46183
    Pretty much the whole US healthcare system is annoying (the structure, not the people). Every time I have to deal with it I yearn for what I had in Canada.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375FE180-D61C-43AD-82FF-D489CAFC90FE.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	461075O

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/statu...sR_NcRK2VkCfkg

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    My mom is very liberal, but mentioned to me a while back that she thought someone using "they" as a pronoun was annoying. I told her not to say that anymore unless she wanted to sound like an old fool.
    I had somebody tell me just today that if you’re over 80 it’s ok to still say things like “colored people.”

I told her no…. No it isn’t. They should not say that ever.

And you know what? It was annoying.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I had somebody tell me just today that if you’re over 80 it’s ok to still say things like “colored people.”

Yeah - being old is no excuse for being a racist/homophobic moran.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Pretty much the whole US healthcare system is annoying (the structure, not the people). Every time I have to deal with it I yearn for what I had in Canada.
    And then THIS just happened. FFS, America...

Court grants Sackler family immunity in exchange for $6 billion opioid settlement
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/30/busin...ity/index.html

An Appeals Court Gave the Sacklers Legal Immunity
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/31/h...y-opioids.html

Now THIS is some serious bullcrap. Those assholes get immunity and still walk away filthy rich. This. THIS right here is a hudge part of the problem. Big pharma = modern drug lords with the full backing of the US govt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen

I think anyone under 100 should be called out.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    And then THIS just happened. FFS, America...

Court grants Sackler family immunity in exchange for $6 billion opioid settlement
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/30/busin...ity/index.html

An Appeals Court Gave the Sacklers Legal Immunity
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/31/h...y-opioids.html

Now THIS is some serious bullcrap. Those assholes get immunity and still walk away filthy rich. This. THIS right here is a hudge part of the problem. Big pharma = modern drug lords with the full backing of the US govt.
    Fuckers belong in a work camp. And this could get polyass in a hurry, because not all of our elected government supports this position. I'm from VT. Guess which senator I'm talking about. I think you would like him.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Fuckers belong in a work camp. And this could get polyass in a hurry, because not all of our elected government supports this position. I'm from VT. Guess which senator I'm talking about. I think you would like him.
    Lol. Not trying to make it PolyAss, just posted the same in the Opiod thread to better continue the conversation. As to your homey from VT, I'll give him one thing, he's one of the very few in our government who has been willing to call out Big Pharma on their bullshit. I particularly enjoyed his recent grilling of the Moderna CEO. Credit where credit's due!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - being old is no excuse for being a racist/homophobic moran.
    While I agree with you, we have no idea how our current beliefs are going to line up with social norms 50 years from now. Just realize you may very well be an idiot that is not self-aware when you are old.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    While I agree with you, we have no idea how our current beliefs are going to line up with social norms 50 years from now. Just realize you may very well be an idiot that is not self-aware when you are old.
    There’s no rule against changing your behavior as social norms change.

I’d say stuff 20 years ago that I’d be ashamed to say now. I expect I’ll feel the same way 20 years from now.

When I was in high school calling somebody a faggot was the go-to burn. Class was so fucking gay. That teacher is a retard.

None of that stuff is in my vocabulary anymore (admittedly, I still struggle with “retard” but my filter keeps me in line).

Also, today’s octogenarians were in their 40s in the 1980s. If they didn’t clean that shit out of their vocab in the entirety of the 70s and 80s they are bigoted assholes from way back, and not just doddering old fools.
    focus.

I’d say stuff 20 years ago that I’d be ashamed to say now. I expect I’ll feel the same way 20 years from now.
    I hope you're right, but it certainly seems like most people hit an age where they quit adapting/changing and lose self-awareness. Maybe that's early dementia?

And yeah, I'm so glad there weren't videos of every thing I said and every party I attended 30 years ago at age 18. I cringe at the videos teens put out now, that shit will haunt them forever.

When I was in high school calling somebody a faggot was the go-to burn. Class was so fucking gay. That teacher is a retard.

None of that stuff is in my vocabulary anymore (admittedly, I still struggle with “retard” but my filter keeps me in line).

Also, today’s octogenarians were in their 40s in the 1980s. If they didn’t clean that shit out of their vocab in the entirety of the 70s and 80s they are bigoted assholes from way back, and not just doddering old fools.
    Ya, I have a hard time filtering out retarded. Glad it's not just me. It absolutely should be filtered. I slip.

This, 100% (right down to struggling with "retard" but successfully filtering it out).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think maybe it’s because I don’t really know anybody, personally, who has downs or similar. Maybe an indicator for me being a different type of terrible.
    focus.

Agreed. I came from an ass-backwards, hillbilly part of Michigan. I said shit when I was a teen that is embarrassing in today's context. And I listened to patently racist and homophobic shit from my old man.

To do better over time really doesn't seem to be that hard.

I probably shouldn't be saying "hillbilly," should I?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Agreed. I came from an ass-backwards, hillbilly part of Michigan. I said shit when I was a teen that is embarrassing in today's context. And I listened to patently racist and homophobic shit from my old man.

To do better over time really doesn't seem to be that hard.

I probably shouldn't be saying "hillbilly," should I?
    STFU you cracker ass cracker!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I hope you're right, but it certainly seems like most people hit an age where they quit adapting/changing and lose self-awareness. Maybe that's early dementia?

And yeah, I'm so glad there weren't videos of every thing I said and every party I attended 30 years ago at age 18. I cringe at the videos teens put out now, that shit will haunt them forever.
    I should have said I expect that some stuff I’m saying now won’t be appropriate in the future. But I hope that future me will change with the times.

I’ll give some leeway for dementia as far as not keeping up with the changing norms, less so if it’s just letting your bigoted views slip out unfiltered.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    STFU you cracker ass cracker!

Shit that annoys you

I should have said I expect that some stuff I’m saying now won’t be appropriate in the future. But I hope that future me will change with the times.

I’ll give some leeway for dementia as far as not keeping up with the changing norms, less so if it’s just letting your bigoted views slip out unfiltered.
    I’ll accept somebody with dementia with the same compassion and empathy as I’ll accept somebody struggling with gender or labels or a history of oppression. Imperfectly, to be sure, but they aren’t really all that different, just different struggles.

The same way I’ll accept somebody who was raised on a steady diet of bigotry and small mindedness and Fox News. People is people and you can respect the person whether or not you appreciate or approve of all of their views and behavior.
    focus.

Resisting any and all change is the hobgoblin of the weak mind.

I’ll accept somebody with dementia with the same compassion and empathy as I’ll accept somebody struggling with gender or labels or a history of oppression. Imperfectly, to be sure, but they aren’t really all that different, just different struggles.

The same way I’ll accept somebody who was raised on a steady diet of bigotry and small mindedness and Fox News. People is people and you can respect the person whether or not you appreciate or approve of all of their views and behavior.
    Not sure I have a good response to that, other than that there’s a lot of space between accepting and shunning, and I will work within that space. Where exactly I end up depends on the person, the context, and the views being expressed.

Shit that annoys you

Not sure I have a good response to that, other than that there’s a lot of space between accepting and shunning, and I will work within that space. Where exactly I end up depends on the person, the context, and the views being expressed.
    Shunning is creating an out group, and (to me) denotes encouraging others to disassociate. I don’t know if that’s a particularly healthy response, but it’s something that’s on my mind frequently enough. You can accept and respect somebody without spending time or engaging with them or allowing them to make the world worse for others. They’re different things. I think most just want to be seen and heard.

That’s all something I poke at from time to time. My mind isn’t particularly settled on any of it. But to this very topic, I’ve been deeply wrong plenty of times about various things and I adjust and grow, and I do that best if the people in my life give me room and resources and tools to adjust and grow. If you take that away you just drive people into their weird corners and create divisions that will never be resolved.
    focus.

Shit that annoys you

There’re a lot of idiots that aren’t self aware that aren’t old

Is okay to say that the timing on my truck is retarded? I need to advance it a few degrees

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shunning is creating an out group, and (to me) denotes encouraging others to disassociate. I don’t know if that’s a particularly healthy response, but it’s something that’s on my mind frequently enough. You can accept and respect somebody without spending time or engaging with them or allowing them to make the world worse for others. They’re different things. I think most just want to be seen and heard.

That’s all something I poke at from time to time. My mind isn’t particularly settled on any of it. But to this very topic, I’ve been deeply wrong plenty of times about various things and I adjust and grow, and I do that best if the people in my life give me room and resources and tools to adjust and grow. If you take that away you just drive people into their weird corners and create divisions that will never be resolved.
    If I came across some Proud Boys protesting a drag show, I’d absolutely encourage everyone to shun them, not accept them.

If it was my own grandfather expressing similar views in private, I’d treat it differently.

When I was in high school calling somebody a faggot was the go-to burn.
    Now it just refers to Harley Davidson riders, so it's perfectly acceptable to continue use in that context. : )