Page 1446 of 1472 FirstFirst ... 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 ... LastLast
Results 36,126 to 36,150 of 36779
    Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Most people over 70 are lonely and bored, so they take the hook, hoping it's someone they know or just because they want to talk to someone or are curious. It's not like they have anything better to do.
    Recommendation: get a non-scamming smallish dog to keep busy; have tech-savvy great grand child program phone to send ALL in coming calls to VM, bypassing any ring tone. Yeah, they'll get confused with VM and miss a few important calls, but still come out ahead.

the little dog is all good until the kids who don't want it have to inherit it.. Best to get an older one.

Puppies are too much work anyways

I think I've told this one here, but perhaps not.

My mom is rather particular about her image. She never wanted to be called "Grandma" by her grandkids. (Or worse, gran-ma)
    She's "Grandmother."
    She's not an ass about it or anything, but the grandkids all know that, if you want to make her happy, calling her "Grandma" isn't the ticket.

So, she gets one of those scam calls.
    I'm in Mexico and in jail, I need to get bailed out, send money via western union etc....
    And worse, she thinks the caller sounds just like one of her grandkids!

But right off the bat, the guy calls her grandma.

My mom says "Grandma eh?"
    "Yes" says he, "Grandma, I need help!"

"Grandma?" My mom says it a little louder, and with more distain.
    "Please Grandma" he says.

CLICK.

Was the funniest thing all week.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yup.
    My sister and I have these same concerns with our dad, who turns 80 this year. Our mom seems to be a bit more savvy and wary when it comes to the internet. Dad almost fell for one of the scams when they called and pretended that my nephew was in trouble and he needed to send money ASAP.

People driving 15mph under the limit on surface streets.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    I got an ad in my feed for direct flights on United from Newark to Steamboat starting at $149. I am salivating as i get ready to plan a long weekend there and visit the United site. Cheapest ticket i see is $949. WTF.

And yeah, I know i could have stopped at United
    There is probably a $149 ticket on a Wednesday in June

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    There is probably a $149 ticket on a Wednesday in June
    For a red eye.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Right there is the root cause: for some reason old people feel compelled to actually answer the phone. I think for most of us under 70 our gut instinct is to not answer unless it's a number we recognize.
    No cell phones, no call display on the landline either. So yeah they answer the phone every time it rings. As long as they're good about not giving out personal info I'm fine with that.

I could set something like auto to voicemail for them but they'd hate it. Eventually they'd unintentionally hit a random button on the phone that would screw the system up or they'd have trouble accessing messages. My parent's house is where technology goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    No cell phones, no call display on the landline either. My parent's house is where technology goes to die.

Name:  MV5BNjQxODA2OTUwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjkwMDY2MjE@._V1_.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  33.5 KB
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^ user avatar checks out

Shit that annoys you

Went to bed healthy…woke up in the middle of the night with fever/the shits/headache
    Negative for covid & flu so best guess bad food stuff over the last 24hrs…GI virus
    So, my Thanksgiving is gonna be BRAT (bread/rice/apple sauce/toast)
    Grrrr…
    At least I’m safe around family as long as i don’t stuff fingers in my butt or mouth and wipe them everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Went to bed healthy…woke up in the middle of the night with fever/the shits/headache
    Negative for covid & flu so best guess bad food stuff over the last 24hrs…GI virus
    Grrrr…
    At least I’m safe around family as long as i don’t stuff fingers in my butt or mouth and wipe them everywhere
    That sucks. Heal up man.

Supermarket that I've shopped at for nearly 2 decades. You pull in and parking rows are on the left, each an alternating one way.

For some inexplicable reason they just flipped the direction of the rows.

I didn't notice out of muscle memory and almost lost my shit on two tourists.

No structural changes to lot. Why the fuck did they do this? There's going to be a lot of locals vs. tourists collisions.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

Back when we still had yahoo email (and only because Yahoo bought Prodigy) someone sent all our contacts the "help we're stranded in Europe" scam. What was interesting was seeing who thought it might be serious enough to check with us--like our lawyer. AFAIK no one actually sent money but if they did they wouldn't have told me would they?
    I know a couple of people who still have yahoo email.

Stores that are closed when they should be open.

I get that it's hard to find labor and stores have weird/limited hours. But when your website says you're open, and when your recorded phone message says you are, it's fucking bullshit that I have to drive up to your door to find out that you're closed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Stores that are closed when they should be open.

I get that it's hard to find labor and stores have weird/limited hours. But when your website says you're open, and when your recorded phone message says you are, it's fucking bullshit that I have to drive up to your door to find out that you're closed.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Grrrr…
    I think I had that a few weeks ago. Imodium multi-symptom got me through it.
    Was a tough one because I had to attend multiple social functions for work that involved drinking.

Kids were home from college for 6 days (not annoying)……

I did a lot of laundry (kinda annoying)…..

They went back to school on Saturday, and as I get ready for school tomorrow, I noticed they snagged “all” our “good” masks. (annoying)….

*Online now to buy more to restock our supply….(note to self- when washing them, separate our masks from the kids so they don’t take them all)

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    <snip>

I did a lot of laundry
    Does not compute...

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Does not compute...
    it’s probably the only reason my wife is still around….

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Only reason my wife is still around….
    Fuck that. Kids do their OWN goddam laundry.

I'm currently on hold with the DMV with a question about a complicated title/registration issue. I'd really rather not have to go down there and not have what they want and have to go back.

When I called, they said it was a 40 minute hold wait time and that there were 51 people on hold in front of me but calls would be taken in order. I'm doing other stuff so I just put the phone on speaker and decided to wait it out.

Well after about a half hour of holding, the wait time went UP to 50 minutes. And now, another 20 minutes later, it has gone up again, to 60 minutes. What in the actual fuck? Annoying.

It's just making me more determined though. Fuck 'em, phone's plugged in, I'll hold 'til death.

You should try calling the IRS next.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Good news/bad news. Shortly after posting that, they picked up. Turns out I don't have what they need to get this shit done, so I saved myself a trip to the DMV. That's the good news. The bad news is now I have to talk to the DMV in Maryland. So now I'm on hold with them.

The kicker being on hold with something like the DMV is when you've been on hold for an hour or so and the call drops.