Page 1410 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 ... LastLast
Results 35,226 to 35,250 of 45937
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Why wouldn’t you just buy ethanol free gas at the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I wish.
    Can’t even get it at the marine pumps.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I wish.
    You live in the wrong place man.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You live in the wrong place man.
    So true.
    And I’m so far from corn fields.
    So they make food into crappy fuel and ship it halfway across the country to fuck up my engines. Thanks Congress. Mission accomplished
    . . .

So true.
    And I’m so far from corn fields.
    So they make food into crappy fuel and ship it halfway across the country to fuck up my engines. Thanks Congress. Mission accomplished
    Ya, I absolutely hate the corn subsidies and ethanol in gasoline mandates. Especially for fuel, but for HFCS too. They should grow other, better crops. Both for the humans and for the livestock. And if you are going to use a renewable for fuel there are much better ways to do it than E15.

I wish.
    I can buy four different octane rated ethanol free gas here. Where do you live, are they commies?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    “Trades” often have had more practical use for basic calc and lower math than “STEM” on a post-school daily basis. People use 5% of what they learned in school, the question is which 5%.
    I use basic trig when I am trying to figure out carpentry around the house. However my kids' calculator is better at it than I am. I've never had to use calc to figure out the volume or area of something at home. I did have to write some computer code once using a series so I am glad I took a whole semester in college on sequences and series. But that's the STEM exception for CS nerds that was already mentioned.

In CA best I can buy is 91 with ethanol in it I would love to be able to buy 93 or 95 at the pump, as buying 100 here costs an arm and a leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I can buy four different octane rated ethanol free gas here. Where do you live, are they commies?

I don't know where coreshot lives but I live in Vermont, can get ethanol free at almost every gas station near me, and we most definitely have commies here, comrade Unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Once his steam shovel got turned into an apartment house boiler, that was pretty much the end of Mike Mulligan.
    Shoveling coal and hitting on single moms like Snider.

I can get 91 ethanol free at 4 of 5 stations in town. Up from one 5 years ago.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

pure-gas.org

They have an app too (but it needs work)

However, what we don't have in great supply are dedicated pumps for ethanol free, so it annoys me that I have to pump a gallon in the vehicle first if I want to fill the gas can.

^^ thanks for the link. As I suspected I'd have to drive a couple of towns over to find some. Might be worth it for the 5 gal that goes into the mower, etc.. but not going to be an every tank fill. I'll consider it

Most of the gas here, regardless of the actual vendor, comes from the same tanks in the nearby city. So even though they might not advertise, or people say only use one particular vendor, the premium octanes (91+) offered are all ethanol free. I suspect this scenario is pretty common, all the gas comes from the same refineries, regardless of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    ^^ thanks for the link. As I suspected I'd have to drive a couple of towns over to find some. Might be worth it for the 5 gal that goes into the mower, etc.. but not going to be an every tank fill. I'll consider it
    I keep 5-10 gallons of ethanol free on hand for the generator and 2 stroke stuff. If the mower needs gas it probably comes from that can. Every month or so (when I remember) I dump it in the truck and go refill.

Key is whatever you don't run often gets the carb run dry. Wood splitter gets run for a few days each year, usually by the time I'm done it's sputtering on fumes. Fresh gas next season, once it gets primed it starts right up.

Splitter, chipper etc that get run a few times a year all have the stabilizer stuff in them. Don't know the science, but seems to work and they reliably start when needed. Mower gets it in the fall, and snow blower in the spring.

Chainsaw and other small 2 stroke stuff is just run dry at the end of the season and refilled when needed. Seems to work.

Should have to take stats AND calc in school.
    I totally agree with stats. A class I enjoyed - back when my daughter thinks I just got off the Mayflower.

She's a college student now - but in her *precalc* class, they spent like two months on trig identifies. Seriously.
    Perhaps it's just an odd class where the teacher decided to spend that much time - but the book also has a ton of material on trig identities, so it wasn't just him. There are not many few places where a trig identity might be used - and even then, it's going to be done in software somewhere - you only need to understand the theory.

For probably 95% of the kids in her class, including her - it was an exercise in pure memorization and rote learning. No one had any clue what they were doing, or why, or in what realm they'd ever apply this. Absolutely none.

I took my first programming class in C back in community college. We used the Kernigan and Richie "C" book. It was like taking a drink from a firehose. (That book probably has like 100 pages total.)

But I got a wide exposure, seeing how others in the class approached things like sorts etc. (C - and especially back then had few guard-rails - and there were crazy ways to solve problems, some blazingly fast, but wildly inefficient and dangerous. Realizing there were no absolutes - that you had to select the right approach, depending on what you were solving was revelatory.)

But it was far more "practical" leaning - watching and learning how to approach solving real-world _problems_ not some esoteric spelunking into some theory-land. It helped that the class had people that had daily jobs modeling reactor core temps, and were so far my superior it was laughable. It helped that the guy who taught was an ex software design guy at Lotus - who was able to approach me as a total noob, with the same "let me help you learn" as he talked to the guy who modeled core temps.

But knowing the point of what you're doing - well that really helps make learning stick around longer, be useful and interesting. I've just seen a lot of stuff we're teaching that really falls way short of those ideals - part of it is the teaching itself, but part of it is just being way too eager to check off boxes saying we taught X, Y and Z. (Without solid thinking about *why* we're teaching the general population X, Y and Z, imo.)

--
    As for what really annoys me?!
    That skiing is still ~ 3 months away, at best.
    Ugh!

"Locals" who moved here the day before yesterday

K&R is no firehose. For me the world finally made sense. A liesurely drink of water. We had a different text book, I picked up K&R as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I hear you. Having just gone through the dealership experience, I can tell you they don't give a fuck and are either incompetent or just liars for the most part. To bad there are not that many FSBO cars out there to deal with rather than the stealerships.
    Don't even remember what my original gripe was. Looking for a new truck before mine starts having issue.

Emailed a dealer in MA late Thursday. Friday after they email back and text, I respond to the text within 5 minutes. No response. Nothing. Nada.

Today I get "The truck that you inquired about looks like it has been sold would you be interested in any of the other ones we have?"

I go look at their site. That was the only one, not even any other trims or models in stock.

I respond back with "Well you took 2 days to respond to my inquiry......I don't see any others in your inventory".

I then get " Oh, I just checked with my manager, turns out that one didn't actually sell. We can let you have it for $62k"

Yeah, fuck you and your games, that price is well over list and more then your "all inclusive" web price.

K&R is no firehose. For me the world finally made sense. A liesurely drink of water. We had a different text book, I picked up K&R as a reference.
    I'm not sure why I'm explaining....but I guess...

It was my first programming class, ever. I might have done some batch scripting or macro scripting before, but certainly not a lot.
    The K&R book was the only reference. (First edition, K&R)
    C didn't/doesn't do anything to protect you from you. If you point the gun at your own head, C will gladly let you pull the trigger - as many times as you like.
    The first you'll know might be when your machine spontaneously reboots or hangs.
    K&R doesn't spend a lot of time slowly walking you through things.
    I'm not a great coder, so an IDE is still really helpful for me. Cryptic compiler errors, not so much.

So, yeah - I had to cover a LOT of ground pretty quickly.

I had a prof once who wrote their first program on punch-cards without a machine to test on - a full blown business application. And it not only passed syntax check the first time, it also ran properly - when they rented some time on a machine to test.

I use the complier to check typos and basic syntax. I shudder to imagine having to hope it compiles and runs CORRECTLY the first time.

"links" in the Special Collecrion that require social media login to view them. Fuck you. Embed a video directly or GTFO.

"links" in the Special Collecrion that require social media login to view them. Fuck you. Embed a video directly or GTFO.
    Where’s the like button?

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Definitely
    Thirded. For serious.

Lots of people coming to hang in my backyard this year. The grass in front of the gate was getting all trampled and shitty, so I scored some free sod and made it all nice again. More trampling, more getting shitty so I decided to get some flagstone pieces and make a sort of stone welcome-mat thing. People can trample the stones to their heart's content! Anyhow, off to the landscape supply place, I go inside and tell the girl what I need. She points out where it is, where I can get a buggy to put it on, and tells me I have to put it on the big scale, come back inside, and she will see weight and charge accordingly. All good, no problem.

So I get my 10 pieces of stone, which is like the smallest amount ever, but the scale is in use. Apparently this place got some big mother crate of huge boulders and tried to weigh it, but then the crate fell apart so they're using some heavy machinery to lift and move the stones out one-by-one. Lady operating said machinery says they're "gonna be a while." I go back in, tell the girl the situation and that I've got a small amount of stones and can I just give her $20 and be on my way? No, she says, they must be weighed. Fine.

Back outside, wait around 15 minutes, kill some time looking at different bags of sand and aggregates, then hooray the scale is finally free. I put the buggy on it, go inside, tell her my stones are there but to remove the weight of the buggy. She says it's basically only the weight of the buggy that is showing up. In the end they charged me $1.85. I just gave them $5.