Page 1218 of 1235 FirstFirst ... 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 ... LastLast
Results 30,426 to 30,450 of 30863
  1. #30426
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,832
    We got my parents a pre paid cell phone (flip phone) years ago and they couldn't handle it. Couldn't even handle plugging it in occasionally to keep it charged. Nevermind turning it on to use it. But we thought it was important they have it in case something happens while they're in the car somewhere. For years they handled the home computer ok. But would have fits whenever a system update changed the screen layout or controls. Or they would randomly hit some unknown key that would turn a setting on or off. They've been having more and more trouble lately. They were checking out a Tesla in the grocery store parking lot one day when the owner came out and of course had to show it off to them. My dad liked it because it just has the one big touch screen instead of a dozed or more dials. I didn't point out his success rate with handling computers. I think he's better off with the dials he doesn't know how to use in the current car.

  2. #30427
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,546
    skin track slackers who dont break trail

  3. #30428
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,255
    Let time I was at my parents place (6 months ago), my dad wanted to show me something on his PC. IE was open; he must have had 100 tabs. When he wanted to search for something, hed open a new one; he never closed anything.

  4. #30429
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Let time I was at my parents place (6 months ago), my dad wanted to show me something on his PC. IE was open; he must have had 100 tabs. When he wanted to search for something, he’d open a new one; he never closed anything.
    One of the best thing I demanded from an old friend of mine that I've been setting up with laptops for a decade was that he had to shutdown the thing every night before he went to bed. Not just close it, but go to shutdown.

    Cut down on a million issues. And yes, I revoked his smart phone and sent him back to a flip. Same with another buddy of mine who finally smashed the damn thing. They want to be hip, but they realize there are certain limitations that they can't explain or understand, and functionality wins out.

  5. #30430
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,701
    If your parents have a PC get an Apple. If they have iPhones get a Samsung. Then at least you can claim ignorance when they ask you for help. Works for me with my wife. But I cannot get across the concept that whatever problem she's having with a device, she's not the first, and 99.99% of the time you can google the solution.

  6. #30431
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    20,248
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If your parents have a PC get an Apple. If they have iPhones get a Samsung. Then at least you can claim ignorance when they ask you for help. Works for me with my wife. But I cannot get across the concept that whatever problem she's having with a device, she's not the first, and 99.99% of the time you can google the solution.
    "can you just do it for me? I can't google as well as you."

    I still call it The Jake.

  7. #30432
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    10,420

  8. #30433
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    5,032
    I used that for my mom once. Shockingly the humor was lost on her.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #30434
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    5,069
    People bitching about their parents.

    When they're dead you won't have to worry about anymore. Should make all of you happy.

  10. #30435
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    10,420
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I used that for my mom once. Shockingly the humor was lost on her.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My cousin has a small business and occasionally asks me an IT question, I don't mind helping him out. Then his pro-am IT guy somehow got on CC and started asking questions way beyond the original scope, stuff I should bill for if I felt like spending the time on it, which I didn't. So I used ltmgtfy to answer a question. My cousin thought it was hysterical as he hadn't seen it before, and totally got why I did it. No idea if he still has the same person.

  11. #30436
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    7,344
    I'm annoyed that I'm annoyed with work.

  12. #30437
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    1,590
    "in these difficult times..."

  13. #30438
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,832
    "we wanted to let you know that we are monitoring the Covid-19 situation....."

  14. #30439
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Methow Valley
    Posts
    949
    I have unsubscribed from so many emails it's actually been refreshing.

  15. #30440
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    4,456
    that lawlessness has reached new levels on the roads. I suppose because hardly anyone is on the roads and cops are even less, laws have gone out the window. more running lights, more exiting freeways across multiple lanes of traffic, a lot more speeding.
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

  16. #30441
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I have unsubscribed from so many emails it's actually been refreshing.
    Ditto. I have probably opted out of 40 places as a result of these stupid CV emails. Silver lining.

  17. #30442
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    20,248
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    that lawlessness has reached new levels on the roads. I suppose because hardly anyone is on the roads and cops are even less, laws have gone out the window. more running lights, more exiting freeways across multiple lanes of traffic, a lot more speeding.
    I posted about this last week or two weeks ago. It's astounding.

    There's all of 10 cars on the road in a given stretch and 9 of them pull some kind of blatant disregard for normal traffic laws. U-turn right in front of you across your lane, running red lights, not stopping at stop signs.

    On a related note, we've seen a big influx of New York-plated Uber/Lyft drivers here likely that are prime perpetrators. Get the fuck outta here.
    I still call it The Jake.

  18. #30443
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    7,532
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I have unsubscribed from so many emails it's actually been refreshing.
    A certain outdoor gear seller that we are supposedly collectively boycotting still sends me email even after multiple unsubscribes. That's annoying.

  19. #30444
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    20,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    A certain outdoor gear seller that we are supposedly collectively boycotting still sends me email even after multiple unsubscribes. That's annoying.
    Tomahawk?
    I still call it The Jake.

  20. #30445
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    7,532
    The restaurant Bryan Adams worked at?

  21. #30446
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If your parents have a PC get an Apple. If they have iPhones get a Samsung. Then at least you can claim ignorance when they ask you for help. Works for me with my wife. But I cannot get across the concept that whatever problem she's having with a device, she's not the first, and 99.99% of the time you can google the solution.
    Hahaha. That's pretty genius. Will have to use that tip from here on out.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #30447
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I posted about this last week or two weeks ago. It's astounding.

    There's all of 10 cars on the road in a given stretch and 9 of them pull some kind of blatant disregard for normal traffic laws. U-turn right in front of you across your lane, running red lights, not stopping at stop signs.

    On a related note, we've seen a big influx of New York-plated Uber/Lyft drivers here likely that are prime perpetrators. Get the fuck outta here.


    as foretold by good ol' nevil shute.... it's the last Gran Prix.


  23. #30448
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,701
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    People bitching about their parents.

    When they're dead you won't have to worry about anymore. Should make all of you happy.
    My MIL told my wife that for 25 years before she finally kicked off.

  24. #30449
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    People bitching about their parents.

    When they're dead you won't have to worry about anymore. Should make all of you happy.
    It sounds like you were crying while typing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    We got my parents a pre paid cell phone (flip phone) years ago and they couldn't handle it. Couldn't even handle plugging it in occasionally to keep it charged. Nevermind turning it on to use it. But we thought it was important they have it in case something happens while they're in the car somewhere. For years they handled the home computer ok. But would have fits whenever a system update changed the screen layout or controls. Or they would randomly hit some unknown key that would turn a setting on or off. They've been having more and more trouble lately. They were checking out a Tesla in the grocery store parking lot one day when the owner came out and of course had to show it off to them. My dad liked it because it just has the one big touch screen instead of a dozed or more dials. I didn't point out his success rate with handling computers. I think he's better off with the dials he doesn't know how to use in the current car.
    My mom once asked me to print out all my facebook pages so she could keep up to date on whats going on with my life.

  25. #30450
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,229

    Shit that annoys you

    My dad asked me how to get the DVD player to rewind. He had been using it over a year by then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •