Page 1067 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 ... LastLast
Results 26,651 to 26,675 of 46194
    Perhaps they are on the internet trying to figure what gender they are? There's lots of confusion these days.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

...about the phone zombies, when I busted up my hip/pelvis about 18 months ago the Doc said it used to be a very uncommon injury but they're seeing it a lot in young people on their phones walking off shit and going down like a ton of bricks without even getting a hand out to break their fall because they're so caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...about the phone zombies, when I busted up my hip/pelvis about 18 months ago the Doc said it used to be a very uncommon injury but they're seeing it a lot in young people on their phones walking off shit and going down like a ton of bricks without even getting a hand out to break their fall because they're so caught up.
    So what was your excuse?

Not looking in the direction I was skiing.

I was looking back over my shoulder and hit some shit I never saw. Still don't know what it was. I also went down like a ton of bricks without getting a hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Not looking in the direction I was skiing.

I was looking back over my shoulder and hit some shit I never saw. Still don't know what it was. I also went down like a ton of bricks without getting a hand out.
    Sonny Bono?! Ah HA! I just KNEW the 'death' was a hoax.

ha, no I didn't hit a tree, it must have been a rock or a block of ice or something. I had gotten to a cat track and was going sideways, looking uphill for my wife. My feet stopped dead and I went flying sideways and landed on ice on my hip.

Somewhat ironically, I was looking for her to tell her I was going in because the skiing sucked.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Alabama
    Your Cadillac
    Has got a wheel in the ditch
    And a wheel on the track

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That is a weird phenomenon. Apparently teen sex is down these days. Like WAY down from when we were all young.
    As a dad to 3 teenage boys... this particular trend is a good thing, IMO. Whatever the societal reason. In my kids' circles it also carries over into booze - I mean... they aren't fucking pilfering my drink. WTF? And not boozing with their buddies. They play Mario Kart.

Fucking nerds.

The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a “fuck the man” sort of attitude about it.

Lazy stereotypes are more fun though I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    or have the memory of a goldfish.
    Pretty good radiolab a while back about memories that you should listen to. Short version; as soon as the event is over you start replacing real facts with fabricated. Your memory of a vacation years ago that you didn't document is not reliable, and probably doesn't match reality.

But that wouldn't play into your edgy, holier-than-thou attitude that you like to portray here.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a “fuck the man” sort of attitude about it.

Lazy stereotypes are more fun though I guess...
    Until we have Zuckerberg's and Bezos' heads on pikes somewhere, it's all lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is so stupid it simply deserves a in response. Comparing Ansel Adams to some fuckwit with a cell phone camera. Take a lap.
    Mmmmm, salty...
    It's early, but now I'm in the mood for a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    As a dad to 3 teenage boys... this particular trend is a good thing, IMO. Whatever the societal reason. In my kids' circles it also carries over into booze - I mean... they aren't fucking pilfering my drink. WTF? And not boozing with their buddies. They play Mario Kart.

Fucking nerds.

You're right. It is a good thing, but it still seems just weird to me. Especially strange that "kids these days" are less rowdy than our generations. That's all I'm sayin'. Always funny when I get into talks with boomers (my parents and in-laws) and they go off about "kids these days" and how bad they supposedly are saying idiocy like "kids are worse than ever these days!", I have to remind them that teens in the 60s through 90s weren't exactly any saints either, or all of human history for that matter. I'd argue we were way, way worse in a lot of ways. The difference is that kids these days have the tools (and typical teen stupidity) to blast their hijinks all over social media. It's a damn good thing that WE didn't have cell phones with video recording back in the day. Lol. I actually feel bad for kids of today. They can't do anything without their friends recording it, which can get them in big trouble later on down the road.

That's good to hear. Hopefully we've hit peak phone and we're headed toward better balance. That's good they're catching on to "the man" aspect of the apps. My young teenage cousin filled me in on all the issues with Snapchat and its "streaks." The manipulation is freaking sick. The companies use it to "increase engagement," and the kids in turn use the streaks to manipulate each other. Girls in particular are REALLY catty about it apparently and its caused a lot of high school drama. Glad that some are onto the fact they're being used by some of these evil Silicon Valley corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Speaking of lazy - put down the straw man & compare screentime on handhelds in the 80s or 90s vs GenZ. Even with a purported, relative reduction of GenZ screentime, you're still looking at a yudge cultural shift in time spent digitally vs. IRL interaction. It really accelerated around 2005 - 2010 IIRC. Default comms are through derivatives where they used to be much more direct. It's a fact of life that isn't negated by any moderation in the broader trend.
    That’s true for sure. The shift is societal though, not generational. And just like with most other things, kids learn their phone habits from what they observe their parents doing. This isn’t new though. Same thing happened with the telegraph and the radio and the phone and TV. There are probably cave drawings somewhere of an old guy complaining his kids were spending too much time smoke signaling with their friends.

In some ways I think kids are more equipped to deal with it because they grew up with it. Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I don’t have any data to back it up on hand).

Even though this is from about 10 years ago it still rings true.

Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I don’t have any data to back it up on hand).
    Anecdotally, I can totally confirm that. Both my parents and in-laws are OBNOXIOUS with Facebook. They're actually worse than tweens. Also annoying how they believe everything they see on teh internets. So gullible. So addicted. Yet so technologically incapable. My MIL always asking me to help her figure something out on her Facebook app on her iPhone. I'm always like (A) I don't have FB, (B) I'm not on my phone all the time l like you so shouldn't YOU be the one who knows how to work the damn thing, and (C) I really don't care, nor does anybody else care about the 1000th pic you want to post today.

In some ways I think kids are more equipped to deal with it because they grew up with it. Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I don’t have any data to back it up on hand).
    Right. Right now the old men are yelling at kids to get off their lawn and learn how to interact IRL. But the same way these kids are at a disadvantage in some more traditional settings because they’ve focused more on digital interaction, those who aren’t as adept in the digital sphere will be at a major disadvantage when the power dynamics shift and Gen Z controls the power and money.

It’s a shift. Way too many value judgments are being thrown around.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Right. Right now the old men are yelling at kids to get off their lawn and learn how to interact IRL.
    and they are saying it through an online message board to people they don't see IRL that often, or even at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Pretty good radiolab a while back about memories that you should listen to. Short version; as soon as the event is over you start replacing real facts with fabricated. Your memory of a vacation years ago that you didn't document is not reliable, and probably doesn't match reality.

But that wouldn't play into your edgy, holier-than-thou attitude that you like to portray here.
    I've heard that RadioLab, it was interesting, but it doesn't take into account that all looking at old photos will do is trigger those fabricated memories. So you're still remembering things differently from how they really occurred, and you ruined the experience in the moment by stopping to make a futile attempt to capture it as it was. Human memory is undoubtedly flawed, but I'll take my memories and written accounts over photos any day. But hey, you do you.

Oh don't you worry, I walk the walk too.

Aren't you a little young to be such a fucking crank?

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    There was this guy, Ansel Adams who would capture the moment to look at it later maybe some other people too
    I was hiking down Yosemite Falls trail and saw a lot of photographers with tripods gathered on Columbia rock. Turns out it was the one night of the year when you could duplicate Adams' Moon Over Half Dome. I don't see the point.

I heard that dude was a fucking hipster. Went to only the most famous spots in Yosemite and used all this old gear for no good reason.
    I think you joking but just in case you aren't--large format view cameras allow very large prints to be made without loss of clarity, and the adjustable front and back allow corrections to be made in perspective and focus that ordinary cameras can't make.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Aren't you a little young to be such a fucking crank?
    he's an old soul
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was hiking down Yosemite Falls trail and saw a lot of photographers with tripods gathered on Columbia rock. Turns out it was the one night of the year when you could duplicate Adams' Moon Over Half Dome. I don't see the point.

I think you joking but just in case you aren't--large format view cameras allow very large prints to be made without loss of clarity, and the adjustable front and back allow corrections to be made in perspective and focus that ordinary cameras can't make.
    Oh I’m aware. Also most of the famous views in Yosemite owe a lot of their fame to Adams’ work.

I have complained about this here a few times over the years, but lettuce in burritos annoys me greatly.
    They stuck that shit in at a local place last night, ruined an otherwise perfectly good burrito.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Shit that annoys you

My poor wife just ripped her hammie doing wind sprints on the beach during vacation. No surfing for her. Add that to her smashed up forearm from a mtn bike crash a few months ago and breaking a knee cap in half a couple of summers ago on a river trip and it’s been a rough couple years. Feeling for her. Hopefully that’s three and she’s good for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums