Page 1139 of 1179 FirstFirst ... 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 ... LastLast
Results 28,451 to 28,475 of 29464
  1. #28451
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That is a weird phenomenon. Apparently teen sex is down these days. Like WAY down from when we were all young.
    As a dad to 3 teenage boys... this particular trend is a good thing, IMO. Whatever the societal reason. In my kids' circles it also carries over into booze - I mean... they aren't fucking pilfering my drink. WTF? And not boozing with their buddies. They play Mario Kart.

    Fucking nerds.


  2. #28452
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,844
    The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

    Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a ďfuck the manĒ sort of attitude about it.

    Lazy stereotypes are more fun though I guess...

  3. #28453
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    5,516
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    or have the memory of a goldfish.
    Pretty good radiolab a while back about memories that you should listen to. Short version; as soon as the event is over you start replacing real facts with fabricated. Your memory of a vacation years ago that you didn't document is not reliable, and probably doesn't match reality.

    But that wouldn't play into your edgy, holier-than-thou attitude that you like to portray here.

  4. #28454
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wet and Mild
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

    Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a “fuck the man” sort of attitude about it.

    Lazy stereotypes are more fun though I guess...
    Until we have Zuckerberg's and Bezos' heads on pikes somewhere, it's all lip service.
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

  5. #28455
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,979
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is so stupid it simply deserves a in response. Comparing Ansel Adams to some fuckwit with a cell phone camera. Take a lap.
    Mmmmm, salty...
    It's early, but now I'm in the mood for a beer.
    Alpental Indigenous

  6. #28456
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    As a dad to 3 teenage boys... this particular trend is a good thing, IMO. Whatever the societal reason. In my kids' circles it also carries over into booze - I mean... they aren't fucking pilfering my drink. WTF? And not boozing with their buddies. They play Mario Kart.

    Fucking nerds.

    You're right. It is a good thing, but it still seems just weird to me. Especially strange that "kids these days" are less rowdy than our generations. That's all I'm sayin'. Always funny when I get into talks with boomers (my parents and in-laws) and they go off about "kids these days" and how bad they supposedly are saying idiocy like "kids are worse than ever these days!", I have to remind them that teens in the 60s through 90s weren't exactly any saints either, or all of human history for that matter. I'd argue we were way, way worse in a lot of ways. The difference is that kids these days have the tools (and typical teen stupidity) to blast their hijinks all over social media. It's a damn good thing that WE didn't have cell phones with video recording back in the day. Lol. I actually feel bad for kids of today. They can't do anything without their friends recording it, which can get them in big trouble later on down the road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

    Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a ďfuck the manĒ sort of attitude about it.
    That's good to hear. Hopefully we've hit peak phone and we're headed toward better balance. That's good they're catching on to "the man" aspect of the apps. My young teenage cousin filled me in on all the issues with Snapchat and its "streaks." The manipulation is freaking sick. The companies use it to "increase engagement," and the kids in turn use the streaks to manipulate each other. Girls in particular are REALLY catty about it apparently and its caused a lot of high school drama. Glad that some are onto the fact they're being used by some of these evil Silicon Valley corporations.

  7. #28457
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The irony of this thread is that teens are actually starting to spend LESS time on their phones. Just heard a stat that 50% of gen Z kids think their parents spend too much time on their phones.

    Teens are starting to see the whole manipulation part of apps and social media and are getting a bit of a “fuck the man” sort of attitude about it.

    Lazy stereotypes are more fun though I guess...
    Speaking of lazy - put down the straw man & compare screentime on handhelds in the 80s or 90s vs GenZ. Even with a purported, relative reduction of GenZ screentime, you're still looking at a yudge cultural shift in time spent digitally vs. IRL interaction. It really accelerated around 2005 - 2010 IIRC. Default comms are through derivatives where they used to be much more direct. It's a fact of life that isn't negated by any moderation in the broader trend.

  8. #28458
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Speaking of lazy - put down the straw man & compare screentime on handhelds in the 80s or 90s vs GenZ. Even with a purported, relative reduction of GenZ screentime, you're still looking at a yudge cultural shift in time spent digitally vs. IRL interaction. It really accelerated around 2005 - 2010 IIRC. Default comms are through derivatives where they used to be much more direct. It's a fact of life that isn't negated by any moderation in the broader trend.
    Thatís true for sure. The shift is societal though, not generational. And just like with most other things, kids learn their phone habits from what they observe their parents doing. This isnít new though. Same thing happened with the telegraph and the radio and the phone and TV. There are probably cave drawings somewhere of an old guy complaining his kids were spending too much time smoke signaling with their friends.

    In some ways I think kids are more equipped to deal with it because they grew up with it. Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I donít have any data to back it up on hand).

  9. #28459
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,802
    Even though this is from about 10 years ago it still rings true.


  10. #28460
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I don’t have any data to back it up on hand).
    Anecdotally, I can totally confirm that. Both my parents and in-laws are OBNOXIOUS with Facebook. They're actually worse than tweens. Also annoying how they believe everything they see on teh internets. So gullible. So addicted. Yet so technologically incapable. My MIL always asking me to help her figure something out on her Facebook app on her iPhone. I'm always like (A) I don't have FB, (B) I'm not on my phone all the time l like you so shouldn't YOU be the one who knows how to work the damn thing, and (C) I really don't care, nor does anybody else care about the 1000th pic you want to post today.

  11. #28461
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    In some ways I think kids are more equipped to deal with it because they grew up with it. Older generations seem to be more susceptible to disinformation, phone addiction, etc because they are having a harder time adapting (this part is my speculation. I donít have any data to back it up on hand).
    Right. Right now the old men are yelling at kids to get off their lawn and learn how to interact IRL. But the same way these kids are at a disadvantage in some more traditional settings because theyíve focused more on digital interaction, those who arenít as adept in the digital sphere will be at a major disadvantage when the power dynamics shift and Gen Z controls the power and money.

    Itís a shift. Way too many value judgments are being thrown around.
    focus.

  12. #28462
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Right. Right now the old men are yelling at kids to get off their lawn and learn how to interact IRL.
    and they are saying it through an online message board to people they don't see IRL that often, or even at all.

  13. #28463
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    and they are saying it through an online message board to people they don't see IRL that often, or even at all.
    These people sound like raging hypocrites.

  14. #28464
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wet and Mild
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Pretty good radiolab a while back about memories that you should listen to. Short version; as soon as the event is over you start replacing real facts with fabricated. Your memory of a vacation years ago that you didn't document is not reliable, and probably doesn't match reality.

    But that wouldn't play into your edgy, holier-than-thou attitude that you like to portray here.
    I've heard that RadioLab, it was interesting, but it doesn't take into account that all looking at old photos will do is trigger those fabricated memories. So you're still remembering things differently from how they really occurred, and you ruined the experience in the moment by stopping to make a futile attempt to capture it as it was. Human memory is undoubtedly flawed, but I'll take my memories and written accounts over photos any day. But hey, you do you.


    Oh don't you worry, I walk the walk too.
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

  15. #28465
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    18,125
    Aren't you a little young to be such a fucking crank?

  16. #28466
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,597
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    There was this guy, Ansel Adams who would capture the moment to look at it later maybe some other people too
    I was hiking down Yosemite Falls trail and saw a lot of photographers with tripods gathered on Columbia rock. Turns out it was the one night of the year when you could duplicate Adams' Moon Over Half Dome. I don't see the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I heard that dude was a fucking hipster. Went to only the most famous spots in Yosemite and used all this old gear for no good reason.
    I think you joking but just in case you aren't--large format view cameras allow very large prints to be made without loss of clarity, and the adjustable front and back allow corrections to be made in perspective and focus that ordinary cameras can't make.

  17. #28467
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,118
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Aren't you a little young to be such a fucking crank?
    he's an old soul
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  18. #28468
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was hiking down Yosemite Falls trail and saw a lot of photographers with tripods gathered on Columbia rock. Turns out it was the one night of the year when you could duplicate Adams' Moon Over Half Dome. I don't see the point.


    I think you joking but just in case you aren't--large format view cameras allow very large prints to be made without loss of clarity, and the adjustable front and back allow corrections to be made in perspective and focus that ordinary cameras can't make.
    Oh Iím aware. Also most of the famous views in Yosemite owe a lot of their fame to Adamsí work.

  19. #28469
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,916
    Ansel Adams inspired me to move west and troll TGR.

  20. #28470
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,623
    I have complained about this here a few times over the years, but lettuce in burritos annoys me greatly.
    They stuck that shit in at a local place last night, ruined an otherwise perfectly good burrito.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  21. #28471
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    748

    Shit that annoys you

    My poor wife just ripped her hammie doing wind sprints on the beach during vacation. No surfing for her. Add that to her smashed up forearm from a mtn bike crash a few months ago and breaking a knee cap in half a couple of summers ago on a river trip and itís been a rough couple years. Feeling for her. Hopefully thatís three and sheís good for a while.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #28472
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    You're right.
    Of course I'm right.
    It is a good thing, but it still seems just weird to me. Especially strange that "kids these days" are less rowdy than our generations. That's all I'm sayin'. Always funny when I get into talks with boomers (my parents and in-laws) and they go off about "kids these days" and how bad they supposedly are saying idiocy like "kids are worse than ever these days!"
    Most of the kids I know these days are WAY smarter than we were as teens. And yeah... old folks get all grumpy about "kids these days" just like every generation before them.

    Got in some arguments with the MIL about Millenials and their work ethic. I told her that we Gen-X'ers INVENTED that shit.

  23. #28473
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    46,802
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    My poor wife just ripped her hammie doing wind sprints on the beach during vacation. No surfing for her. Add that to her smashed up forearm from a mtn bike crash a few months ago and breaking a knee cap in half a couple of summers ago on a river trip and it’s been a rough couple years. Feeling for her. Hopefully that’s three and she’s good for a while.
    Maybe keep her inside for a while.

  24. #28474
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,852
    You need the wheels to imitate Ansel
    Name:  f77273604e9a4e3d99d3384feaaae5d7.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  49.9 KB

    I'm actually surprised how rarely I see people do this.

  25. #28475
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,597
    Bad sound at music shows annoys me. A divey club with a crap PA and no acoustics to speak of I get. An outdoor show with a fancy sound system I don't. Paul Thorn last night in Reno--too much bass (a common problem), too loud and getting louder as the night went on. Loud enough that the speakers were distorting on the voice. Not the band's fault--they were going direct into the board. And the sound guy wasn't some young kid but at least 50. (Hmm, maybe the guy's half deaf, that would explain it.) I've heard Paul Thorn 3 or 4 times before, inside and outside, always good sound with clear lyrics before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •