Page 1433 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 ... LastLast
Results 35,801 to 35,825 of 46281
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My 94 yo FIL wants it a million degrees. So I am spending $$ running space heaters in his room and the bathroom. That way we can have a more civilized temperature in the rest of the house. And by civilized i mean that it's warm enough to cause ballsweat. His room is around 76-78 and even though I melt when I go in there, he still says he's cold and shivering. The latest heater even has a nice thermostat. But he won't leave it on the temp he wants. He's not happy unless there is hot air blowing on him at all times. And then he gets overheated and turns it off. Rinse, lather, repeat.
    My dad kept taking mom’s large 12” x 24” heating pad, so we got him one, too. They used them for years past their 90’s.
    That and a lap blanket, and you all should be much more comfortable.

I hid the spare key to my car, on myself. I can't remember where I put it. I keep having dreams where I swear I know where I put it, only to get up and look and it's not there. Fack, I'm getting old. Every night I go asleep hoping to have that successful magical dream, but every morning it's pure annoyance.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

You're just "getting old"; in order to be truly old you need to have forgotten that you no longer own a car.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    My dad kept taking mom’s large 12” x 24” heating pad, so we got him one, too. They used them for years past their 90’s.
    That would make far too much sense. He doesn't do things that make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I hid the spare key to my car, on myself. I can't remember where I put it.
    I did this. It's been 3 years, I don't know where the fuck I put it. Finally gave up and had a new key cut. Now I don't hide any of the spares, they are all hanging in the same spot, whoever breaks into my house will have their choice of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    We bought the m-i-l an electric coat. Works great.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I did this. It's been 3 years, I don't know where the fuck I put it. Finally gave up and had a new key cut. Now I don't hide any of the spares, they are all hanging in the same spot, whoever breaks into my house will have their choice of vehicles.
    I always do this , but was on a few road trips and grabbed it from the messy tangle of spares back in August.

In a good news update, right before I woke up this morning they appeared to me in a dream. Got up went to my reading glasses case, unzipped it, and voila! Brain revenge on brain! So happy. Now I can have more frivolous, not productive, dreams again.

Recently, the US Army has been getting on my nerves. Specifically, the tanks at Ft Hood doing target practice at 3AM. My new house is about 20 miles away, but apparently directly down range. Last night there must have been at least 30 deep booms loud enough to rattle windows and start dogs barking.

Yeah, I know, the sound of freedom. Shit, I’d hate to be on the receiving end of that if they were actually trying to hit me.

Shit that annoys you

People who don’t ask questions, often for things that have implications that are critical or at least deeply inconvenient. If you don’t know a thing, ask google and if google doesn’t know, google somebody who might. And call them. And ask the question.
    focus.

I'm into the waiting period for the 2 hour window when they say the cable guy/gal is going to be here. What annoys me is that I know exactly how this is going to end. I live in a place that has never had cable, yet they say they can provide this fast new cheap internet to my address. They sent me the cable box with instructions on how to plug it in and get started. I just fished around the 2 pages of paperwork to find the support number to schedule a tech to come out. Now, I have no idea how they are planning on hooking this box up. They have to run a line from somewhere. Is this going to take a D8 and helicopter? What I do know is that they will probably kill my dsl connection in the meantime and probably drill a bunch of holes in the wall, and are basically going to wreck my life for many days. They say I have to be here the whole time. I'll probably even have to wear a mask. I am not going to be able to get shit done. I'm already annoyed before I'm really annoyed.

It has been my repeated experience that getting mad about bad things that you anticipate will happen is rarely fruitful. You're probably right though.

But what if a miracle occurs?!?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Recently, the US Army has been getting on my nerves. Specifically, the tanks at Ft Hood doing target practice at 3AM. My new house is about 20 miles away, but apparently directly down range. Last night there must have been at least 30 deep booms loud enough to rattle windows and start dogs barking.

Yeah, I know, the sound of freedom. Shit, I’d hate to be on the receiving end of that if they were actually trying to hit me.

You're the one who has to live in Texas...

I hid the spare key to my car, on myself. I can't remember where I put it. I keep having dreams where I swear I know where I put it, only to get up and look and it's not there.
    How many places on your body can you hide a car key and be unable to find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My neighbor started mowing last night at 9pm. He’s got one of those zero turn riding mowers for his quarter acre suburban lot. He went over the whole yard 5-6x getting up leaves. And while he was dumping the leaves the mower loped in idle even louder. At 10pm he started lapping the driveway to get up leaves.

The noise ordinance kicks in at 10pm. So at 10:01, I’m crossing the street, shirtless and barefoot and fuming. Coward just drove to the backyard put the mower away and went inside.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It has been my repeated experience that getting mad about bad things that you anticipate will happen is rarely fruitful. You're probably right though.
    It went exactly as expected, but the guy ran a new line, drilled through the wall, and set it up very efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    But what if a miracle occurs?!?
    It did. The guy was a contractor from Utah. Super nice guy, and a DJ too. I started following him on Twitch. And I'm experiencing the internet in 21st ways. It's like upgrading from dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How many places on your body can you hide a car key and be unable to find it?
    The key was actually in my reading glasses case. Probably a note to myself that, can't find something ---> better get glasses.

It went exactly as expected, but the guy ran a new line, drilled through the wall, and set it up very efficiently.
    Was this Comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Was this Comcast?

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Was this Comcast?
    It was an independent contractor for Xfinity, which I understand is Comcast. Sure beats the shit out of CenturyLink.

Sure beats the shit out of CenturyLink.
    everything and everyone in human existence beats the shit out of centurylink.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It was an independent contractor for Xfinity, which I understand is Comcast. Sure beats the shit out of CenturyLink.
    That's true until Century Link has fiber.
    Then CL absolutely destroys Comcast.

I'm on a 1000Mb/s (1Gb/s) symmetrical (same speed up as down) connection for $65.00 per month, including all the fees, taxes, etc. Comcast is nowhere close to matching that. Tested connections are routinely 800+Mb/s throughput - and upstream is often faster than downstream.

[It's funny; It's now just as fast (or nearly so) over a wireguard [VPN tunnel] link to a remote network that also has GbE as it is to most of the devices on my local gigabit network.]

And Century Link fiber has been incredibly stable. Far, far, far more stable and reliable than Comcast. (As noted across a bunch of comcast/frontier/ziply/CL connections that I monitor.)

Comcast wants, I think, upward of $400 a month for that level of connection. Plus there's the "boat payment recovery fee," and a zillion other charges, so it's another 15% on top of the already big bill.

What annoys me the most?
    Why the hell do we as a country allow the carrier to own the "road?"
    Communities that own their own fiber infrastructure really kill it for their citizens. [See Sandy or Ashland OR]
    The municipality owns the fiber and maintains it. If Comcast wants to sell their internet, they buy transit on the fiber loop. Everyone gets equal access.
    Consumers win.
    Comcast and other entrenched carriers cry.
    And anything that makes the entrenched monopolists cry brings me joy.

Where I live, centurylink can't even provide the minimum speed for folks who qualify for lifeline to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    That's true until Century Link has fiber.
    Then CL absolutely destroys Comcast.
    Yeah. Well... until I can get Gb fiber from CL... FUCK that company. Worst service I've ever had the misfortune of paying for.

I'm kind of thinking that *maybe* Comcast is finally getting their shit together? This is the 2nd good experience in the last few weeks I've heard regarding Comcast...

I'm kind of thinking that *maybe* Comcast is finally getting their shit together? This is the 2nd good experience in the last few weeks I've heard regarding Comcast...

This is just my opinion, but I'd rather be at the mercy of CenturyLink (now Lumen, FFS) than Comcast.
    Comcast is IMO, actively looking for any way to screw any customer for the maximum amount possible.
    Century Link - yeah, they're big and uncaring. They're stupid and bumbling. But I'll take sloth and neglect over active malign intent, every single time.

One first hand example.

Had a client move a few months ago.
    Comcast was called to verify that service existed in the new location. They were prompted multiple times to really double and triple check that they really DID have service in the new location. (Without going into too much detail - there were potential complications in the new location, and we wanted to be really, REALLY, sure we'd have service.) Comcast continuously verifies that "Yup, totally got service there. Here's what you'll get, here's the cost." We sign a contract.

We setup the new service to overlap the old by about a week. A few days prior to install, I try to contact Comcast to add some notes to the install ticket.
    They can't find the install order.
    4-6 hours of my time later, they finally find something.

Turns out they decided they couldn't provide service to the new location after all.
    They'd known this for, as best I can tell, two weeks.

And, you ask, who'd they tell? No one outside Comcast, that's for sure.
    So, my client who is going to move into this new location in a few days is now against the wall. They won't have internet or any phones. Nothing.

Turns out that Comcast only has fiber into that location, and they want the big bucks for a fiber install. So, instead of letting the client know and work out some details, they just cancel the install... And since no-one has the guts to tell the business customer, and take the heat, no one does.

It takes several days to get any answers about what our options are now...

For a 20Mb/s connection (barely better than DSL speeds) they want in excess of $300, and no matter how hard we push or how high we go, they refuse to do any better - never mind that they promised a connection that was 5x faster for less than half the price. (Oh, and to add insult to injury, it's a minimum 3 year contract, and it will take in excess of 30 days [perhaps way more] before they could even provide service, no matter how hard they try.)

So, tell me [better yet, this client of mine] how Comcast is getting its shit together.