Page 1098 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 ... LastLast
Results 27,426 to 27,450 of 46183
    one cop... not that there aren't more... but are there really a lot more?

there are plenty of racist cops but to call them members of white terrorist organizations is far fetched

but have at it. why don't you speed on 89 and then have a discussion about it with one vermont's local KKK members?

oh and you won't be lacking for moonbeams reading the Kos.

Damn deer stole my bird feeder.

I have two feeders on a rod iron dbl hook - the kind you stake in the ground. They eat off it all the time without an issue but things must have gotten out of hand last night because this morning both feeders were gone. I found one halfway down the hill from where the hanger is but not the other. Honestly.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

When the boss forwards me an email from the IT group without reading it and asks do we need one of these?

Me - you aren't doing nor planning any high computational research, you work with at most 1 TB of data a time, we are not doing any genomic modeling that requires HPC, and they are not free...but the gaming would be phenomenal!

1. Standard computer – consists of 4 nodes, each node with 384 GB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6240 processor 18-core, 2.6GHz, $39,000
    2. Mid-memory computer, with 768 GB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6248 processor 20-core, 2.5GHz, $15,000
    3. High-memory computer, with 1.5 TB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6248 processor 20-core, 2.5GHz, $21,000

The Standard computer is a 4-node unit. Therefore, you could purchase this type of computing power at an individual node level, one up to four nodes. Each node will cost an estimated $9,750.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    When the boss forwards me an email from the IT group without reading it and asks do we need one of these?

Me - you aren't doing nor planning any high computational research, you work with at most 1 TB of data a time, we are not doing any genomic modeling that requires HPC, and they are not free...but the gaming would be phenomenal!

1. Standard computer – consists of 4 nodes, each node with 384 GB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6240 processor 18-core, 2.6GHz, $39,000
    2. Mid-memory computer, with 768 GB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6248 processor 20-core, 2.5GHz, $15,000
    3. High-memory computer, with 1.5 TB RAM, 2X Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6248 processor 20-core, 2.5GHz, $21,000

The Standard computer is a 4-node unit. Therefore, you could purchase this type of computing power at an individual node level, one up to four nodes. Each node will cost an estimated $9,750.
    Definitely find a high end graphics "workstation" and tell him you need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

...we are not doing any genomic modeling that requires HPC...
    INL or Idaho St.?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Didn't the extended warranty folks call you?
    It's an equity lease. No additional warranty. So, they called me and said the CPU is toast. $2300, but since I'm just out of warranty they will reduce it to $300. The next problem is they can't find any available...hmm. Looks like they won't be available until late September. Then she gave me the wink wink you didn't hear this from me, but I have to believe these will be recalled. Well, not shocked considering they don't have any!

I'm glad that we just bought the extended warranty for my wife's new car. When the sales guys said it had 20 something little computers I was like oh fuck. Those are bound to fail. I think if was just over 1k that got us 10yrs. That one will pay for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Definitely find a high end graphics "workstation" and tell him you need that.
    I know! When I was at the Center for Astrophysics, it would crack me up after office hours, when all the post docs were playing video games with other postdocs based all over on their high end workstations on the university network. Now, those guys that I worked with there, some of them did need HPC.

I know! When I was at the Center for Astrophysics, it would crack me up after office hours, when all the post docs were playing video games with other postdocs based all over on their high end workstations on the university network. Now, those guys that I worked with there, some of them did need HPC.
    Yeah, my buddy had to do a did a stint in Nebraska way underground in some control room with big ass screens all over the place. He said hey basically played video games all day.

Ya, I helped more than a few postdocs with their workstations at one job I had. Half Life was their thing for a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3561.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	410.1 KB 
ID:	291316

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post

*note: some of the stuff we've done extrajudicially is really, really fucked up. Like bombing teenage sons of terrorists 'just because'. Another dark stain on the empire. Humans are all the same in the end. All the nationalism is bullshit & a prelude to atrocities.
    Have you not watched Princess Bride or Once Upon A Time In The West? Proof that the sons need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Expensive bike socks that don't last for shit. I have a hole in almost every pair, always around the ankles.
    Has your doc checked you for gout? Or do you bike 100 days a year?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

Times like that make me REALLY wish I carried sidewalk chalk as standard equipment in the glove box...

Name:  passive-aggressive-car-parking-notes-37-58107bf6d1011__605%20(1).jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  71.6 KB

Beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Times like that make me REALLY wish I carried sidewalk chalk as standard equipment in the glove box...

Name:  passive-aggressive-car-parking-notes-37-58107bf6d1011__605%20(1).jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  71.6 KB

Beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I witnessed that exact same park job last week and true to stereotype, it was a middle-aged Asian woman. I saw someone try and tell her she fucked up and the lady just put her head down and headed into Neiman Marcus.
    I still call it The Jake.

is that even a parking spot on the right of that lexus?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

He's not taking two spaces. But it does look like that enclosure slides open there. It would be annoying if you were the guy who had to get something out of the enclosure I guess, but otherwise it's not really annoying me at least.

Oh, it was two spaces...I probably could have shot it from a better angle

the way the lines appear to be painted is what makes it look like it's not a space.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    INL or Idaho St.?
    Neither....

This douchebsg parks like this almost every day. Sometimes I have to lift my bike over his hood.

He has seen me do it.

Name:	20190815_184713.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	291320

^^^ Time to get studded tires

What's worse though - someone parking like that, or someone parking so far back that their tiny car sticks out into the lot further than the largest bro-dozer?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    This douchebsg parks like this almost every day. Sometimes I have to lift my bike over his hood.

He has seen me do it.

Name:	20190815_184713.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	291320
    It would be a shame if his hood got scratched by a pedal.

Tubless tires that will not hold air.

Back to tubes.
    watch out for snakes

My Acer Chromebook just received it's last ChromeOS update according to the message from Google. Unfortunately Google only provides OS updates for 6.5 years after the device family is released. Who knew? I bought it in 2014 and it is still going strong, in fact it runs better than the Samsung Chromebook 3 that I bought to replace it because the Acer trackpad is developing a dead click spot on the right hand side. After 6 mos with the Samsung, I dug the Acer back out of the closet and use it with a wireless mouse when the trackpad really bothers me. It's the C720-2800 with 4GB/32GB. Slightly less common than the 2GB/16GB version. It was also a hard to find price to performance point. It still is. Solid rig. I'll eventually install ArchLinux on it and will probably spend $35 for a 128GB M.2 drive, however that's not the point. I want it to keep running the same way it has been for the last 5.5 years. Sure, it probably could run CloudReady too. Again, not the point. I originally bought it fully intending to run Linux on it and ditch Chrome OS. Then I decided I liked it as a Chromebook running Chrome OS. I liked the peace of mind of not having to run in developer mode. I liked that it just worked. I liked that it was a relatively incrementally more secure platform. I liked that it updated itself painlessly. Which brings me to today. I am annoyed.