Page 699 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 ... LastLast
Results 17,451 to 17,475 of 46278
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Valentine’s Day is fucking stoopid.
    It's quite a marketing scheme. Like those chocolate diamonds. Used to be that clear diamonds were he most valuable. Until an actual marketing genius came up with the whole chocolate thing. And people jumped on them.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    It's illegal to turn left across a double yellow, dipshit!
    Yeah. I hate having to drive 6 miles down the road to make a u turn so I can then turn right into my driveway without crossing the double yellow.

Shit that annoys you

Me this morning getting the young lad Owen (11) going for school

Me: you need to eat breakfast and take out the recycling soon - we are leaving in 30 minutes

Owen (with a shitty attitude) I KNOW DAD! You don’t need to tell me!

Me ten minutes later : You also need your uke and guitar and maybe your music

Owen: DAAAD! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    It's quite a marketing scheme. Like those chocolate diamonds. Used to be that clear diamonds were he most valuable. Until an actual marketing genius came up with the whole chocolate thing. And people jumped on them.
    The whole diamond industry is marketing BS. Diamonds are not rare at all and the only reason so expensive is because the diamond cartels control supply and great marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    The whole diamond industry is marketing BS. Diamonds are not rare at all and the only reason so expensive is because the diamond cartels control supply and great marketing.

I will never buy a diamond for my gf and she doesn’t want one. Huge waste. She wants a CZ or something similar. “We aren’t the people to spend thousands on some stupid shit like that, let’s get a car or upgrade the house instead”.

She’s so hot when she says shit like that. Someday I’m going to drop to one knee, pull a garage door opener from behind my back and slip it on her finger like a true romantic.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    I will never buy a diamond for my gf and she doesn’t want one. Huge waste. She wants a CZ or something similar. “We aren’t the people to spend thousands on some stupid shit like that, let’s get a car or upgrade the house instead”.

She’s so hot when she says shit like that. Someday I’m going to drop to one knee, pull a garage door opener from behind my back and slip it on her finger like a true romantic.

Actually that’s a lie, I got her diamond stud earrings once.

Except they were Herkimer diamonds that we prospected for together and I had a friend that’s a master jeweler set them. #blowmedebeers
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Marry that woman! Ladies like her are a rare thing. Back when we were dating, my now wife said something just like that. For her engagement ring, I got her a moissanite, which is a beautiful man-made stone that actually has some really neat properties. Got it put in a really nice setting at least. She was also keen on getting a simple pearl, a ruby, or even better a Montana Yogo Sapphire, which although expensive, are at least pretty unique. One day, when I save up the cash, I'll get her a Yogo to replace the moissanite. She loves her stone, though and is always getting tons of compliments on it. She's pretty up front to people that it's not a diamond. Cracked me up when people thought I must be loaded giving her a rock that size. Lol, nope. She was insistent on not going with a diamond since they were a waste of money to her. Plus the ethical implications can be pretty bad too if you care about that.

Actually that’s a lie, I got her diamond stud earrings once.

Except they were Herkimer diamonds that we prospected for together and I had a friend that’s a master jeweler set them. #blowmedebeers
    You lie! Didn't you know? Diamonds are like the rarest thing on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    GF has been bitchin' to me for two days via email about how sick and tired she is of her underwire bras getting ruined in the wash. Today I finally ask her: "do you put them in a lingerie bag?" Her response: "no, too lazy". <roll eyes>
    Shove the wire back in and put a drop of super glue on the spot it popped out of. Fixed, for a while at least.

My son's dentist. He has braces, so he gets a check-up/tightening every 4-6 weeks. When I leave, I make an appointment for the next check-up.

two weeks out: phone call to remind me of appointment;
    one week out: phone asking if I still want appointment;
    two days prior: just a reminder;
    day before: see you tomorrow.

DAMMIT...I made an appointment, I intend to be there. If I can't make it: I will call you. Enough with the "reminders!"
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Tough to peel hard cooked eggs
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Excessive braking, downhill on a mountain road. Use the gas to go faster, or don't use it and slow down. Braking every 30 seconds to sub speed limit velocity is destroying my brake pads. Learn how to coast.

People that brake immediately before an uphill section deserve banishment to the flatlands.
    You could increase your following distance and decrease your speed accordingly and you wouldn't have to brake excessively.

People who follow to closely annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    It's illegal to turn left across a double yellow, dipshit!
    Not true.

https://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle91...e-yellow-line/

Pm Beer Drinker.
    I still call it The Jake.

Thanks to DeBeers diamonds hold their value better than cars. I've also come to the unfortunate realization that had I bought diamonds instead of a VT house back in 2002, I would be way ahead there too. C'est la Vie.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Diamonds are very common. The great majority of diamonds in the world are in DeBeers' vault--if all the available diamonds were on the market the price would plummet. Diamonds have not traditionally been a token of love; that started with an advertising campaign by DeBeers.e Diamonds also have little value on the resale market--try selling a diamond ring back to a jeweler. Diamonds are to jewelry as bitcoin is to money. My wife has a sapphire. I had no say in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Diamonds are very common. The great majority of diamonds in the world are in DeBeers' vault--if all the available diamonds were on the market the price would plummet. Diamonds have not traditionally been a token of love; that started with an advertising campaign by DeBeers.e Diamonds also have little value on the resale market--try selling a diamond ring back to a jeweler. Diamonds are to jewelry as bitcoin is to money. My wife has a sapphire. I had no say in the matter.
    Could you imagine if somebody pulled of the biggest heist in history and plundered De Beers' vault(s), and then just dumped all of it into the free market? Man, think of the market chaos that would create! Hmmm. I better reserve the movie rights to this plot. Sounds like it could make a great film!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    try selling a diamond ring back to a jeweler
    I was comparing diamonds to cars and real estate in VT. Trust me here, you'll lose less money with diamonds.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    No it's not, dipshit
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Yeah. I hate having to drive 6 miles down the road to make a u turn so I can then turn right into my driveway without crossing the double yellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't write that right... this is the spot. Pretty sure you're not supposed to turn left across that. But I'm just a dentist.

Name:  nwave.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  17.2 KB

If it had been their driveway and/or they managed to do it without making traffic come to a complete stop, I wouldn't have been annoyed. But they slammed on the brakes, turned left into the driveway, backed out, and drove back up the road the other way.

Shit that annoys you

That's what's called a double, double yellow (seriously). And this time correct, you're not supposed to turn across that. A Single double is ok for turns (the driving did make a dipshit move )

If deBeers has a huge vault full of enough diamonds to destroy their value if they were all put on the market, wtf are they still spending untold millions mining them for? It would be a lot more profitable to stop mining and just release the diamonds gradually. Something doesn't add up there.

I'm just fine with diamonds as an investment. The only thing that matters is that their worth is controlled by an entity that has a vested interest in propping up their fictitious value, just like fiat currency. Fiat currency is even less stable these days and I still try to amass that. The marketing push necessary to dethrone diamonds isn't happening in my lifetime. Not to mention, if I lose diamonds, I get fiat currency as a back up from insurance and the "value" of my wife stuff is going up at the rate of inflation at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If deBeers has a huge vault full of enough diamonds to destroy their value if they were all put on the market, wtf are they still spending untold millions mining them for? It would be a lot more profitable to stop mining and just release the diamonds gradually. Something doesn't add up there.
    If I had to guess, the cost of mining is in their marketing budget, not their production budget, if you know what I mean. And it probably isn't even all that expensive when you have 9 year olds doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    My son's dentist. He has braces, so he gets a check-up/tightening every 4-6 weeks. When I leave, I make an appointment for the next check-up.

two weeks out: phone call to remind me of appointment;
    one week out: phone asking if I still want appointment;
    two days prior: just a reminder;
    day before: see you tomorrow.

DAMMIT...I made an appointment, I intend to be there. If I can't make it: I will call you. Enough with the "reminders!"
    A buddy of mine is an Ortho. Given his endless rants about how often people cancel appts last minute or just don't even show up, he may actually be this guy

A buddy of mine is an Ortho. Given his endless rants about how often people cancel appts last minute or just don't even show up, he may actually be this guy
    I get it...but that's sort of the crux of it. I would guess that 90% of appointments that are cancelled happen the day of the appointment. If they called the day before as a reminder, it (likely) wouldn't be "shit that annoys me" but more "cost of doing business."
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

It's right by the local mega-church, so maybe they had an epiphany.

double, double
    I live about 20 miles south of the border, and if you ask any Canadian what a double double is, they'll tell you it's a coffee with two creams and two sugars.