Page 1154 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 ... LastLast
Results 28,826 to 28,850 of 46041

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And on top of that, some providers just order ALL of the tests. Because. It's a broken system
    Different but similar.

Had some wax way down in my ear canal that wouldn’t come out. PC noticed it and couldn’t get it out during routine physical. Sent me to a random Ear/Nose/Throat guy.

Guy took the wax out in about a minute and then casually said ok let’s get a quick hearing test done. I assume it is a simple quick thing as part of the removal to make sure he didn’t fuck something up with the extraction, all one cost.

NOPE.

I get sent into a room for full blown hearing test, obviously being able to hear I had no issues.

I get the bill and I forget the amount but it was an outrageous add on. Thankfully insurance covered most of it.

The fucking guy assuming that I was ok with it without any explanation of an estimated cost is what annoys me. What if I was paying out of pocket? That could have thrown some people for a loop.

Lesson learned, ask if something is necessary because Dr’s are looking out for #1, not necessarily your best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I don't think you get the big picture, might be time to find a new line of work.
    And what would the bigger picture be? Milking as much money out of people as possible?

I'm fine in my work, I just like to come here to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    And what would the bigger picture be? Milking as much money out of people as possible?

I'm fine in my work, I just like to come here to vent.
    We all do.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    And, you generally know you're going to get screwed.

I went to urgent care a few years ago with a bad cough. Had gone through the normal cycle of symptoms for a cold. After a week I was getting better but then the cough came back. After a few days was still getting worse, not better. Doc wanted xrays to check for pneumonia. I balked at the xray questioning if the provider doing them would be in my network. Doc shrugged and said well if it isn't pneumonia I'd be giving you antibiotics for the other alternatives it could be anyways, so here's your prescription. Cough was gone in a day or two. Saved a few hundred that day...
    When I sliced up my kneecap mtn biking in Steamboat this summer the only place that was open that I could find was the ER. 5 stitches. I was there for 60 minutes. Bill before insurance was $4,500. My share was $900. For some irrigation and 5 stitches. This is why people hate doctors.

I should have poured alcohol into it and used steri strips.

I'm only kinda kidding.

I went to steamboat ER for less than 60 minutes. With Xrays it was nearly $2,000 after insurance. They wanted to put a $250 soft splint on that I got for $16 at Walgreens across the street. I regret even walking in the door of a medical facility. This is America.

Clothes washer shit the bed last night. Put a load in, come downstairs later and the washer has vibrated so violently it's turned 45* and moved a couple feet from the wall. The drum has a couple inches of lateral play. Seems like the bearing is still good and quiet, but I don't think this is something that is realistic to fix. Great timing right before I go out of town for a week! At least my stuff got sort of clean before it turned off...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    A couple days ago I updated (well, accepted the update) to Catalina os from Mojave on my mac, it seemed fine until a minute ago, but I just found out that "dashboard" is gone. I used that all the time, wtf. No more dashboard, I just read and confirmed it. annoying.
    Did “photos”load quickly? Mine was taking days so I finally had to force quit a whole bunch of stuff on activity monitor.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    <snip> The drum has a couple inches of lateral play.
    Be advised - my washer has at *least* this much float, and has since new. I *believe* that it's supposed to... so maybe it was just a horribly unbalanced load that caused the mayhem?

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    What if I was paying out of pocket? That could have thrown some people for a loop.
    The way deductibles have gone in the last few years doc's should pretty much assume that a patient is going to be paying out-of-pocket unless told otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    When I sliced up my kneecap mtn biking in Steamboat this summer the only place that was open that I could find was the ER. 5 stitches. I was there for 60 minutes. Bill before insurance was $4,500. My share was $900. For some irrigation and 5 stitches. This is why people hate doctors.

I should have poured alcohol into it and used steri strips.

I'm only kinda kidding.
    More and more, ERs just seem like a blatant cash grab. Last summer I blew my shin open about 3 inches long to the bone. Thankfully the Park City Instacare was open. Two-layer closure with 6 internal and 8 external stitches. Total charges were about $600, which contractual adjustments (quite different from payments, my insurance co. paid nothing) reduced to about $300.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The way deductibles have gone in the last few years doc's should pretty much assume that a patient is going to be paying out-of-pocket unless told otherwise.
    Srsly - it's getting to the point that almost *everyone* that actually has employer-provided insurance, is going to have what amounts to a catastrophic medical plan (high deductible health plans are like this).

And I'm not sure most people even *understand* these HDHP are going to cost a LOT of $$ out-of-pocket.

And I predict once they realize this, they are going to STOP seeking medical care for anything other than emergency stuff. And even then, I suspect they will think twice about it.

It really is (and continues to get moreso) ridiculous.

People who want a free sample of the soup at deli’s with no intention of ordering it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

More and more, ERs just seem like a blatant cash grab. Last summer I blew my shin open about 3 inches long to the bone. Thankfully the Park City Instacare was open. Two-layer closure with 6 internal and 8 external stitches. Total charges were about $600, which contractual adjustments (quite different from payments, my insurance co. paid nothing) reduced to about $300.
    Seems dirt cheap for that kind of service! I went to the ER on a Sunday AM in SLC because nothing else was opened. Deep laceration at the base of my index sustained in a battle with a frozen bagel (I was seriously hungover). Very clean straight cut, 5 stitches, about $1100 in total charges. The insurance covered all but $50 (no deductible badass plan at the time) but the cost made me gag.

Last year my parents were visiting from Yurp and Ms Boissal wanted to bike with my dad. I suggested a tour of the PC classics but for some reason she decided to take him to LCC quarry trail. He isn't used to modern bikes (still rides a 26" hard tail with handlebard that are probably 500 mmwide) and promptly clipped a tree. He went down in a rock garden and landed on his back. He's all skin and bones and took a major hit directly to the pelvis. He managed to ride out and they decided to bypass the ER as Ms B (trauma PA) felt confident nothing was broken. He was really hurting after 48 hours and we took him to the ER for peace of mind. They did a CT, saw a hairline crack in the pelvis, and told him to go home and rest. We were in and out in 45 minutes, interacted only with a tech, CT tech, and an attending for maybe 5 minutes. The bill was $4800. Their insurance in France + travel insurance eventually picked up the entire tab but they only reimburse medial expenses after the fact so we had to pay out of pocket. All discussions about adjusting the bill ended when they realized he had no SS# and I had to cover the $5k on the spot and wait almost 4 months to get them reimbursed. I was livid, parents were mortified and swore off doing anything dangerous while in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    We were in and out in 45 minutes, interacted only with a tech, CT tech, and an attending for maybe 5 minutes. The bill was $4800.
    Sacré bleu!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Be advised - my washer has at *least* this much float, and has since new. I *believe* that it's supposed to... so maybe it was just a horribly unbalanced load that caused the mayhem?
    Prior to running this load mine had a little float, but not no where near this much. I'm sure it was an imbalanced load but something isn't right for it to change that much. Never in 5 yrs I've lived here had the washer move this much distance. I'm going to run it again to see what it does, as I was upstairs and didn't witness what went on last night.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Sacré bleu!
    That's what he kept saying. He milked the shit of the incident though, almost got himself excused from the wedding then claimed it prevented him from talking to people. Because a broken sacrum affects his ability to speak English. He got upgraded to 1st class for the flight back to France (along with my mom) since he couldn't be seated for long. And he still has one of my crutches!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Sacré bleu!
    I live near the Poutine Curtain. It's tabernak! around here.

Seems dirt cheap for that kind of service!
    You should have seen how quickly I got taken back when the receptionist saw my shin. Her face was buried in her monitor when I walked in and she didn't look up until I was already at the desk. She asked what I needed, so I said I needed some stitches and raised up my leg. Dinner-plate eyes ensued, she practically ran into the back to get the nurse, and then rushed out to tell people who were already there waiting that there was a patient with an emergency that needed to be seen before them. I should have tipped her.

I can't speak to their ERs, but IHC's network of Instacares and other clinics seems to get a whole lot right. That wasn't my first time receiving a completely reasonable bill from an Instacare that stitched me up. Ortho consults at TOSH are consistently <$150.

You should have seen how quickly I got taken back when the receptionist saw my shin. Her face was buried in her monitor when I walked in and she didn't look up until I was already at the desk. She asked what I needed, so I said I needed some stitches and raised up my leg. Dinner-plate eyes ensued, she practically ran into the back to get the nurse, and then rushed out to tell people who were already there waiting that there was a patient with an emergency that needed to be seen before them. I should have tipped her.

I can't speak to their ERs, but IHC's network of Instacares and other clinics seems to get a whole lot right. That wasn't my first time receiving a completely reasonable bill from an Instacare that stitched me up. Ortho consults at TOSH are consistently <$150.
    I've gone to the IHC's Instacares on a couple of occasions now that I'm on Ms Boissal's insurance. It's always been great, not much wait, and a non-obnoxious bill. I've been really spoiled for years working at the U of U and using them as an insurance provider, they don't pay all that much but their benefit packages are outstanding. It saved our asses when Ms B developed weird recurring kidney infections and had to go to ER and spend the night there on a couple of occasions. I shudder at the thought of actually paying those bills.

One a somewhat related note, crossing the US/Canada border annoys me. I've had issues time and time again being on a visa and having to carry reams upon reams of paperwork to justify my right to re-enter the country. The backwater border station in eastern WA and MT are staffed with people who probably only see locals and have no idea what to do with me. I got denied re-entry a few years back, the CBP gal was in the wrong but had absolute power and fucked with me for 4 hours straight, openly threatening to jail me overnight then force me to drive to Vancouver to sort things out. She eventually relented after making me fill a form with a $700 associated fee that my attorney confirmed was not applicable but not worth arguing about.

I finally have a green card and figured it would make things easier but was still really worried last winter and started ranting and stressing about 2 hours north of the border. Ms Boissal made fun of me the whole time telling me I was over-reacting and it couldn't possibly be that bad. We landed a really nice CBP gal who gave us a bit of a hard time about some veggies we had forgotten about that weren't supposed to come into the US. I was getting comfortable when she casually asked if we had drugs on board. I gave her the "no officer" line but Ms B couldn't help herself and volunteered that she has some antibiotics and pain meds related to the kidney infection above. Not something CBP gal was asking about but hey, now she had something to look into! She asked to see the prescriptions for both which Ms B didn't have. Her name wasn't on the bottles since she had combined the pills in one smaller container to "save space" (something that doesn't jive well with the fact that she flew a full-body shark suit into the yurt for the costume party). CBP lady then told her that without a script the standard practice would be to refer her to law enforcement to be arrested for illegally moving narcotics across international borders. Ms B melted down, this kind of stuff would affect her job, she'd lose her DEA license, etc... Lots of tears were shed and the lady eventually let us go with a warning. The next hour was really silent and I eventually got a pointed apology for making fun of my stress level at the border.

You should have seen how quickly I got taken back when the receptionist saw my shin.
    I had this happen a long time ago. I used to start the chain saw by dangling it out there and pulling the cord. I prolly did this 100? times. This one time the cord caught the engine on the backside and the saw tilted back and cut my leg above the knee. I was wearing shorts and sweating, so it started bleeding like crazy, my whole lower leg getting covered in blood with now red socks. Drove myself to the ER, gal doesn't look up, and says "How can I help you?", I said, "I cut myself with a chain saw." She looks up, starts running around the desk...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just saw a commercial for a "heart failure" drug. Entresto. We have reached the point where everyone is fat in a commercial. Well, one old guy had a big gut, but, everyone else was just plain fat. And they're telling the fatties out there not to eat less and exercise, but take this pill. Fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just saw a commercial for a "heart failure" drug. Entresto. We have reached the point where everyone is fat in a commercial. Well, one old guy had a big gut, but, everyone else was just plain fat. And they're telling the fatties out there not to eat less and exercise, but take this pill. Fucking ridiculous.
    Hitting the gym = hard, taking the pill and hating on big pharma = easy. Might as well accept it and start filming commercials that reflect that...

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I had this happen a long time ago. I used to start the chain saw by dangling it out there and pulling the cord. I prolly did this 100? times. This one time the cord caught the engine on the backside and the saw tilted back and cut my leg above the knee. I was wearing shorts and sweating, so it started bleeding like crazy, my whole lower leg getting covered in blood with now red socks. Drove myself to the ER, gal doesn't look up, and says "How can I help you?", I said, "I cut myself with a chain saw." She looks up, starts running around the desk...
    This reminds me of another story: my wife is an accomplished athlete who has a naturally low heart rate that very high levels of fitness drove even lower. She used to work as a scientist and needed Hazmat certification. She shows up at her yearly physical. Nurse puts the blood pressure cuff on her and puts on the stethoscope. Cold room, sitting, waiting for a bit, so wife has a true resting HR going. Nurse counts, looks up, and her eyes get really wide. Takes her pulse manually, literally runs out of the room, and is back in seconds with a doctor. Doctor takes her pulse, then asks her to lie down and starts asking a million questions. Turns out they clocked her resting heart rate at 32 and freaked out. Took a long time to settle them down.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And I predict once they realize this, they are going to STOP seeking emergency care for anything other than emergency stuff. And even then, I suspect they will think twice about it.
    FIFY ..... since we're all a bunch of hypochondriacs

Seems dirt cheap for that kind of service! I went to the ER on a Sunday AM in SLC because nothing else was opened. Deep laceration at the base of my index sustained in a battle with a frozen bagel (I was seriously hungover). Very clean straight cut, 5 stitches, about $1100 in total charges. The insurance covered all but $50 (no deductible badass plan at the time) but the cost made me gag.

Last year my parents were visiting from Yurp and Ms Boissal wanted to bike with my dad. I suggested a tour of the PC classics but for some reason she decided to take him to LCC quarry trail. He isn't used to modern bikes (still rides a 26" hard tail with handlebard that are probably 500 mmwide) and promptly clipped a tree. He went down in a rock garden and landed on his back. He's all skin and bones and took a major hit directly to the pelvis. He managed to ride out and they decided to bypass the ER as Ms B (trauma PA) felt confident nothing was broken. He was really hurting after 48 hours and we took him to the ER for peace of mind. They did a CT, saw a hairline crack in the pelvis, and told him to go home and rest. We were in and out in 45 minutes, interacted only with a tech, CT tech, and an attending for maybe 5 minutes. The bill was $4800. Their insurance in France + travel insurance eventually picked up the entire tab but they only reimburse medial expenses after the fact so we had to pay out of pocket. All discussions about adjusting the bill ended when they realized he had no SS# and I had to cover the $5k on the spot and wait almost 4 months to get them reimbursed. I was livid, parents were mortified and swore off doing anything dangerous while in the US.
    As a Jew I've never known a fellow Jew to cut themselves slicing a bagel. It was a mistake to let Gentiles have bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You don't know shit about heart failure. Diet and exercise will help prevent heart failure, which is usually due to blocked heart arteries, but by the time someone has heart failure they aren't able to meaningfully exercise without medication. Diet is important--particularly restricting salt, but the key to treatment is medication. Even with good medical treatment a third of patients diagnosed with heart failure will be dead in a year. (That's community wide--in prospective studies carried out in major medical centers of aggressive treatment, which can include heart surgery, the outcome is better.
    OTOH Entresto, which costs about $9/pill is a combination of two drugs which are closely related to much cheaper generic drugs. That's what's fucking ridiculous. As is advertising drugs in general, but that apparently is protected by the Bill of Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    People who want a free sample of the soup at deli’s with no intention of ordering it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Worse is standing behind someone at the ice cream place who wants to sample a bunch of different flavors and/or who doesn't know what they want even though they've been waiting for 15 minutes. I'm impatient in general but when I want ice cream I want it NOW!