Page 1374 of 1843 FirstFirst ... 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 ... LastLast
Results 34,326 to 34,350 of 46052
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh, they are indeed. Back in MT, our assessors never screwed with us, despite rising home values. The increases were fair and incremental. In my new house, they've been going for the max allowed by state law every single year. I've been having to protest my taxes and go in for formal hearings every freaking year to prove to them why my home's actually not worth what they keep trying to tell me it is. Upon talking to an actual appraiser, they always agree with MY assessments of the values upon providing the evidence, but then each new year, I have to fight that battle all over again. At the same time, the local schools and city keeps blowing out budgets on complete horseshit fancy projects. It's no coincidence. Very corrupt local politics, but such is par for the course in almost every major city in America, so it's to be expected.
    Sounds like you should get into local politics and bring in some expertise and ethics! And yes, I'm serious...

We're 0-1 at TGR on people running for office.

We need a win.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like you should get into local politics and bring in some expertise and ethics! And yes, I'm serious...
    Nooooooooo, thank you. After witness our buddy Pio go through all that, I have ZERO interest in entering that arena. Plus, I'd make a terrible politician. It's fun rumbling with you all in PoliAss, and I certainly enjoy a good friendly bar room debate over some whiskeys, but no way I'd want to do any of that in an official capacity in the public sphere. Would take away all the fun!

Looks like that win will wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Looks like that win will wait.
    The only person here that COULD have gone somewhere was Harry for mayor of Big Sky, but looks like that ship just sailed. Oh well. ...le sigh

Where's he going, the UP or someplace?

If he can keep the rubber side down, he’ll be a shoe in.

Gas may be louder but electric is higher pitched and worse for your hearing. My wife loves her electric blower. Now she's half deaf. Wear good hearing protection. Not foam inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Gas may be louder but electric is higher pitched and worse for your hearing. My wife loves her electric blower. Now she's half deaf. Wear good hearing protection. Not foam inserts.
    WHAT?!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

What WHATTTTT!?!?!

Electrics (blowers, mowers, cars, tooth brushes, razors ........) are making us a nation of Deaf Gomers???

But ...... aren't Gomers just naturally deaf? I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Where's he going, the UP or someplace?
    He should come here. One can ski a ridiculous amount of "powder" while never gaining any elevation above 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    What WHATTTTT!?!?!

Electrics (blowers, mowers, cars, tooth brushes, razors ........) are making us a nation of Deaf Gomers???

But ...... aren't Gomers just naturally deaf? I know I am.
    Before electric whining tools there was rock and roll. That's what got my hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wear airpods with noise cancellation turned on. It *feels* like it works - is this good enough? Or should I bust out the big earmuffs I really only wear when I'm using the router?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I wear airpods with noise cancellation turned on. It *feels* like it works - is this good enough? Or should I bust out the big earmuffs I really only wear when I'm using the router?
    I'm no expert, but Fine Woodworking says ear muffs. I wear them for anything louder than a hand drill. And eye protection. And I notice that the younger folks using the community shop in Truckee wear respirators. I haven't done that.

Not an expert but my understanding is that there is some benefit but the bottom line is they are not classified as protection.

You only have one set of ears, do you really want to fuck around with losing your hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Not an expert but my understanding is that there is some benefit but the bottom line is they are not classified as protection.

You only have one set of ears, do you really want to fuck around with losing your hearing?
    No not at all. I'm totally down with hearing protection. I just like mowing to the sounds of the Wu Tang Clan, is all. I'm gonna get some of those 3M bluetooth muffs.

I wear a respirator all the time when
    a) cutting wood
    b) sanding anything
    c) staining or using epoxy

And eye protection? Always! The muffs, respirator, and glasses all hang on the same hook in the workshop for an easy one-handed grab. Protecting your body is cool!

Name:  24nnd1.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  99.9 KB
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    You only have one set of ears
    One set but two ears.

Guy I know has ear muffs that still let him hear his wife talking to him. I believe he's missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    No not at all. I'm totally down with hearing protection. I just like mowing to the sounds of the Wu Tang Clan, is all. I'm gonna get some of those 3M bluetooth muffs.
    Earbuds inside the big earmuffs for me. The Wu Tang is great mowing music!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Peter Thiel apparently has $5 billion dollars in a Roth IRA that he seeded by valuing his PayPal stock at $0.001 when it was deposited, making it worth $1700 at deposit. That right, a tax free Roth IRA. WTF?

It's a common scam. I think it was Mitt Romney who put the value of his private equity fund (or much of it) at under the Roth IRA contribution limit when he launched it, so, naturally, everything it ever made, nine figures I believe, could be cashed out tax-free.

Gee, I wonder if I could have assigned the value of my computer science career at $1 (since it certainly didn't have any income OR assets; outdoor gear doesn't count) the day I got out of grad school and put my entire life's income (other than from Marmot, and the meat warehouse before that) into tax-free status. Darn, wish I'd known!

But the moneyed elite can easily afford to hire tax people who know all the tricks, so it goes without saying that all this stuff gets exploited, always, by most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Earbuds inside the big earmuffs for me. The Wu Tang is great mowing music!
    Agreed. Except I don't mow any more.

Annoying: fake ‘product endorsement’ posts on manufacturer’s Facebook posts.
    Also annoying: Facebook.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    It's a common scam. I think it was Mitt Romney who put the value of his private equity fund (or much of it) at under the Roth IRA contribution limit when he launched it, so, naturally, everything it ever made, nine figures I believe, could be cashed out tax-free.

Gee, I wonder if I could have assigned the value of my computer science career at $1 (since it certainly didn't have any income OR assets; outdoor gear doesn't count) the day I got out of grad school and put my entire life's income (other than from Marmot, and the meat warehouse before that) into tax-free status. Darn, wish I'd known!

But the moneyed elite can easily afford to hire tax people who know all the tricks, so it goes without saying that all this stuff gets exploited, always, by most of them.

A self-directed Roth IRA is not a scam. Anyone can do it. Just because most do not do it doesn’t mean that those who do are scammers.

My sister and brother-in-law have managed to stuff multiple condos, apartments and even a brewery into their self-directed IRA’s. It produces much monthly tax free moneys for them….