Page 1155 of 1181 FirstFirst ... 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 ... LastLast
Results 28,851 to 28,875 of 29504
    Ha, I actually got my annual review a couple months ago. It had 4 lines on the "things I do well side" which basically said I complete my work on time and with a high degree of accuracy. You know, basically saying I do a good job. Then there were 4 hudge paragraphs under " things I could do better." Which were basically blaming me for her lack of communication: ie, I need to be more proactive in following up when she fails to read or respond to emails. She's more than welcome to fire me. It would save me the trouble of having to put in notice. I'm planning to stick around (if I make it that far) til next spring, then take summer/fall/winter off at minimum. Saving up $$ for now.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    <snip> It would save me the trouble of having to put in notice. I'm planning to stick around (if I make it that far) til next spring, then take summer/fall/winter off at minimum. Saving up $$ for now.
    Naw, man - resignations are pretty satisfying things, in my experience. The only thing better would be a layoff with severence.

When I resigned, I made sure that I did it *after* I had vested for my yearly bonus, and I contacted the HR department to find out when health insurance would lapse if I quit, and made sure that my leave-date was the first day of the month so I'd be covered while I was skiing all through February.

Satisfying. Only bummer was that particular February SUCKED as far as snowfall goes 'round here.

Shit that annoys you

People who leave gear reviews online that read similar to this:

“Haven’t had a chance to use ‘X’ yet, but really impressed with the quality/finish!”

I can say if these people decided to throw themselves off a cliff tomorrow my review of their obituary would be much more satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I can say if these people decided to throw themselves off a cliff tomorrow my review of their obituary would be much more satisfying

Reviews in general, really. Strong evidence for human devolution.

someone posts " what's the best x" and a bunch of people reply recommending the one they use, which was the only one they tried. In order to review or recommend gear you should have tried a significant number of different X's, or at least let the reader know the (lack of) breadth of your experience.. (I realize I am guilty too.)

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Work/Life balance? That’s crazy talk.
    This is a list of my e-mails from my workaholic superior/coworker. This is NOT an exaggeration:
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 3:03 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 6:30 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 11:15 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Today 3:32 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 4:45 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 6:45 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 8:16 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:08 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:22 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:42 AM
    Random coworker - 9:44 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:47 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:48 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:54 AM
    Random coworker - 9:57 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:59 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:02 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:05 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:13 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:19 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:46 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 11:20 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 12:19 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - 12:41 PM
    (gazillions more from Friday night and through Saturday too)
    And that's just ONE Inbox. She's a single (I wonder why [/s]) older lady who doesn't totally understand how e-mail works so I have about another dozen in my OTHER e-mail's inbox that's more for personal use. Ugh.... I finally sent her ONE e-mail answering her most important questions, blew of the rest, and closed saying that if the client's THIS worried about everything and if they don't wanna pay, then fine. I'll turn in my project as is and let them deal with it. Been crickets since. Time to lay off the Adderall, ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    someone posts " what's the best x" and a bunch of people reply recommending the one they use, which was the only one they tried. In order to review or recommend gear you should have tried a significant number of different X's, or at least let the reader know the (lack of) breadth of your experience.. (I realize I am guilty too.)
    ^^^ This is the problem with asking anyone to offer an opinion of a car or bike they have. It's usually an overwhelmingly positive review, because they don't have any experience with other cars/bikes/ (substitute expensive thing here).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ This is the problem with asking anyone to offer an opinion of a car or bike they have. It's usually an overwhelmingly positive review, because they don't have any experience with other cars/bikes/ (substitute expensive thing here).
    Also confirmation bias. “I obviously made a great decision in purchasing this product, because that’s the kind of decisions I make.”
    focus.

Bitchy emails from admins about EEO training that include words and phrases like “mandatory” and “no later than” in all caps, red font, and text that is like 5 times larger than everything else in the email. Lady needs a toke or something

Maybe I should have just simplified this to “Mondays”

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    This is a list of my e-mails from my workaholic superior/coworker. This is NOT an exaggeration:
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 3:03 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 6:30 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Sunday 11:15 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - Today 3:32 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 4:45 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 6:45 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 8:16 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:08 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:22 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:42 AM
    Random coworker - 9:44 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:47 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:48 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:54 AM
    Random coworker - 9:57 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 9:59 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:02 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:05 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:13 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:19 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 10:46 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 11:20 AM
    Ms. Workaholic - 12:19 PM
    Ms. Workaholic - 12:41 PM
    (gazillions more from Friday night and through Saturday too)
    And that's just ONE Inbox. She's a single (I wonder why [/s]) older lady who doesn't totally understand how e-mail works so I have about another dozen in my OTHER e-mail's inbox that's more for personal use. Ugh.... I finally sent her ONE e-mail answering her most important questions, blew of the rest, and closed saying that if the client's THIS worried about everything and if they don't wanna pay, then fine. I'll turn in my project as is and let them deal with it. Been crickets since. Time to lay off the Adderall, ma'am.
    What was she doing between 11:10 and 12:19? Were you worried about her? Did you send her an email saying you hadn't heard from her, and was she ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Also confirmation bias. “I obviously made a great decision in purchasing this product, because that’s the kind of decisions I make.”
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Naw, man - resignations are pretty satisfying things, in my experience. The only thing better would be a layoff with severence.

When I resigned, I made sure that I did it *after* I had vested for my yearly bonus, and I contacted the HR department to find out when health insurance would lapse if I quit, and made sure that my leave-date was the first day of the month so I'd be covered while I was skiing all through February.
    Yeah, final stock grant vests in April - that's what I'm waiting on. Should have a bonus too, but their policy is to only pay bonus if you're still employed, and they drag their feet forever getting it approved. Don't think I can hang on til August which is when they paid last year's. Layoff with severance would be nice as well.... Since I'm apparently not busy that shouldn't be a stretch.

Or they don't have a clue what they're talking about, but want to sound like they do.

Standard response to what bike/tire/part question on MTBR: "I ride a ____ and I love it!" Super helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    What was she doing between 11:10 and 12:19? Were you worried about her? Did you send her an email saying you hadn't heard from her, and was she ok?
    Haha. I should have just to mess with her. ANOTHER one of our coworkers can be similarly bad. A guy about the same age, who also has no life (no kids either) and hardcore workaholic will often follow up with a text. I get a blast of e-mails, then 5 seconds later a text message saying "HELLO?! U THERE?!" Damn, dude. Chill! I'm too busy ACTUALLY WORKING or on an important client conference call to deal with a million e-mails right now. These types of people typically work 24/7/365, but oddly enough don't ever really get any further in their careers than the rest of us. Hmmm. It's almost as if working like a sane person helps productivity or something...
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/324981

Who was she doing between 11:10 and 12:19?
    FIFY

Haha. I should have just to mess with her. ANOTHER one of our coworkers can be similarly bad. A guy about the same age, who also has no life (no kids either) and hardcore workaholic will often follow up with a text. I get a blast of e-mails, then 5 seconds later a text message saying "HELLO?! U THERE?!" Damn, dude. Chill! I'm too busy ACTUALLY WORKING or on an important client conference call to deal with a million e-mails right now. These types of people typically work 24/7/365, but oddly enough don't ever really get any further in their careers than the rest of us. Hmmm. It's almost as if working like a sane person helps productivity or something...
    Deep work. We actually encourage our employees to set up do not disturb and to mark themselves out for 1-3 hour chunks so they can focus. If it's important enough the person that wants you can walk to find you. However, there is a TON of science showing that interruptions slow people way down and encourage mistakes to creep into work. So tell her you are practicing "deep work" and can't be disturbed. And to piss off.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/77616...uctivity-by-40

Deep work. We actually encourage our employees to set up do not disturb and to mark themselves out for 1-3 hour chunks so they can focus. If it's important enough the person that wants you can walk to find you. However, there is a TON of science showing that interruptions slow people way down and encourage mistakes to creep into work. So tell her you are practicing "deep work" and can't be disturbed. And to piss off.
    ^^^ Genius. I remember reading that it takes anywhere between 20 to 45 minutes to get in a properly focused state and work at full efficiency, depending on the complexity of the task.

At my previous job I shared an office with 5 other peeps and I don't think I ever managed to get more than 10 minute of uninterrupted time before someone blurted out whatever was on their mind. I eventually convinced my boss that if I worked 4-10s and came in around 9ish I'd get 3 solid hours of quiet office time after everyone went home and could actually get shit done. I lasted a year before I lost it and went back to working for a startup. Now I can go days without interacting with another person and stay focused on one issue for 10 hours straight. If I can't focus for some reason I go ride my bike. A lot of shit gets done that way and my boss only wants to hear about it once a week at most.

Back was when I was working I used to have to order residents to go home when they'd been on call the night before. I'd let them stay to do a case but not to do scut.

scut?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    scut?
    When I was working at MGH, that was for Simpletons who Can't Understand Things.

Not as bad as Can't Understand Normal Thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    scut?
    It's worse then crabs...don't ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    ˇÓrale, vato!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Definitely this.

Relatively few people will admit (to themselves or others) they spent $40/50K on a vehicle and there's something they dislike about it, or that doesn't work right, or it rattles, or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Definitely this.

Relatively few people will admit (to themselves or others) they spent $40/50K on a vehicle and there's something they dislike about it, or that doesn't work right, or it rattles, or whatever.
    Why I prefer to buy sub-$10k vehicles and not give one single fuck.

Definitely this.

Who do you guys hang out with IRL ????? (In Real Life for you boomers)

i tell people i'm dumb all the time.