Page 1707 of 1843 FirstFirst ... 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 ... LastLast
Results 42,651 to 42,675 of 46052
    I think they should pick up cars on the streets with expired registrations and recycle them.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    SF charges for all three. I think the cost is slightly higher for the black garbage bin. Most of the trash guys act like card board is radioactive and won’t touch it. If your collector is nice, he will take it if flattened…maybe. But in general, I see a lot of cardboard strewn around on trash day. And if it’s more than a couple flats and they aren’t bundled together, forget it.

I think the recycling here has become a bit performance art. Most of the stuff gets discarded as unusable. The stuff that’s not high value gets sent off to some third world country that’s burns a ton stuff they don’t want so sometimes the landfills seem like a better option from the get
    The only recycling that actually makes a difference is composting food waste--keeping that stuff out of the landfill generating methane. In Truckee we're supposed to drop it off, can't leave it in a separate bin at the curb because of the bears. I wonder how many people in Truckee are adtually doing it. I confess to not.

I gave up on recycle and garbage p/u after the first month arriving here. $15/mo and the recycle was restricted. So I head 5km to the transfer station twice a month for yard waste, paper, plastic, metal, glass, electronic waste, tires, battery and styrofoam ‘recycling’. The actual garbage goes up about every 6wks and costs $1/large bag, almost never pay more than $2 per visit. Don’t care much what they do with it afterwards.

The stuff that actually costs is waste concrete, waste const wood, and mixed demolition (mostly drywall), ranges from $80 to $160/tonne.

A few years ago I listened to an NPR story about the actual cost of recycling, with most of it apparently being bundled and shipped off to China, etc for processing. The carbon payoff didn't really seem to play out.

We still recycle, but I don't really care too much about the separating anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    A few years ago I listened to an NPR story about the actual cost of recycling, with most of it apparently being bundled and shipped off to China, etc for processing. The carbon payoff didn't really seem to play out.

We still recycle, but I don't really care too much about the separating anymore.
    Big story on recycle garbage not being accepted by Asian countries a few years ago, details are a bit dark. I think most of the plastics and like material now get burnt in some co-gen plants. Probably the paper too. Better than burying, and then all the off-gassing? Dunno, the calculations are complicated. I separate and give the system options, is my take. The metal, batteries and electronics I hope have a better 2nd use, costs of global mining are huge to the negative on env.

Reduce > Reuse > recycle

FFS! Too much lead paint chips as children? https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/world...ntl/index.html

Appliance parts, particularly those for fridges, such as shelves and drawer, are excessively costly and often unavailable for older fridges. At transfer stations, there are rows and rows of fridges, but scavenging is typically prohibited. A right to repair law should be implemented to ensure affordable appliance parts for at least 10 years. Think of the environment.

Went online to pay an IRS fine because I “kept too much of their money” in 2022. Paid online successfully.

Received a letter in the mail weeks later congratulating me on successfully paying online.

Smith optics. I broke the temple piece on a pair of scrip. Smiths, the shitty plastic part where the screw holds it to the frame.

Called Smith, not warrantied, it was my fault so I get that. Cannot buy a replacement temple? Looking at their products, they have gotten a lot cheaper made.

Fuck!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    FFS! Too much lead paint chips as children? https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/27/world...ntl/index.html
    Next year, the #1 movie in America will be called "Ass." And that's all it is for 90 minutes. It will go on to win eight Oscars, including best screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Next year, the #1 movie in America will be called "Ass." And that's all it is for 90 minutes. It will go on to win eight Oscars, including best screenplay.
    "Bottoms" by Yoko Ono...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Went out to dine in DT W2 with some friends last night - 8 of us total. We had reservations for outdoor seating right on Main St. where we would be able to take in the pleasant evening, people watch and enjoy the lighted trees.

People who had the table before us refused to leave so rather than strong arm them out of there the restuarant scambled to make space for us inside where it was packed, dark and very, very loud with a view of a wall.

WTF?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

That’s what crop dusting is for

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    So no line item for the recycling bin, just the garbage bin? That’s a good incentive. Perceived at least.
    Correct. You pay for garbage and compost. Recycle is included in the garbage price. Compost and garbage is collected every week. Recycle every two weeks.

SHIT THAT ANNOYS YOU

Weeding..

Bluetooth connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Weeding..
    Facts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230527_211253543.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	460138

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Smith optics. I broke the temple piece on a pair of scrip. Smiths, the shitty plastic part where the screw holds it to the frame.

Called Smith, not warrantied, it was my fault so I get that. Cannot buy a replacement temple? Looking at their products, they have gotten a lot cheaper made.

Fuck!
    Well that sucks. I used to swear by Smith. Now I get to swear at Smith?

I have some old (20 year) Smiths that I broke the frame, my fault. Comparing them to today's product is an eye opener.

EX: the temples are attached to the frame by actual hinges on the old ones.

On the ones I broke it is a small plastic tab that fits in a slot on the frames and a screw holding it, it is a nice injection molded product but these cost me 200 bucks and that was with a deal.

Oh well the new ones fit nice but look even more basically made.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

RV plumbing.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    plumbing.
    Fixed it for u

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

100%

Having a yard sale

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Having a yard sale
    Just donate the stuff to charity and take the tax write off.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Gasoline, match.