Page 681 of 1843 FirstFirst ... 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,025 of 46052
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Sure, there are some beautiful maps

digital maps are zoomable — and dynamically so on the right platforms
    (sometimes progress is actually progress)
    And you can see topography, real images, and plain Street view all as options..

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    The more you use a GPS the less likely you are to lose situational awareness because of it. It is a tool, just like a paper map, and if you are proficient at both, you have a great chance of not getting lost. You might even be able to use it while driving!

I also have a pilot's license so pilotage and dead reckoning are a big part of your flight planning. Knowing how to use your GPS quickly and proficiently, without the luxury of pulling over is crucial, especially flying is busy airspace. Flew around San Diego and LA a few times, that's kinda nuts. Gotta be on your game, not just with GPS, but with multiple radio frequencies, and altitude requirements, not to mention weird requests from the various towers and flight control. A little more complex than driving around country roads with a paper map.
    The nice thing about a map is the scale so it's easier to form a mental picture of the route. In the city, looking at a map and then having to memorize the rights and lefts gives you a better mental picture than if you just do what the lady says. It's urban driving where the GPS makes it hard for me to understand where I actually am.

My son is a private pilot. We just do short trips, like Sacramento to the Golden Gate. I'm impressed that actually operating the plane (at least on a clear caln day when everything works) seems trivial compared to the route planning, constant communication with various towers, constant elevation changes due to various airfiels along the route, etc. He's working the entire time.

i am an idiot with the gps on

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i am an idiot with the gps on
    Does that change when you turn it off?

people who put a new skintrack up the middle of the run rather than using the ALREADY ESTABLISHED one off to the side. what the fuck people.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The nice thing about a map is the scale so it's easier to form a mental picture of the route. In the city, looking at a map and then having to memorize the rights and lefts gives you a better mental picture than if you just do what the lady says. It's urban driving where the GPS makes it hard for me to understand where I actually am.

My son is a private pilot. We just do short trips, like Sacramento to the Golden Gate. I'm impressed that actually operating the plane (at least on a clear caln day when everything works) seems trivial compared to the route planning, constant communication with various towers, constant elevation changes due to various airfiels along the route, etc. He's working the entire time.
    I agree. And unless something's changed since I was in the AF, my pilots always relied on good old fashioned paper aeronautical charts for flight planning, THEN plugged everything into the system. Just like flying then, for driving I still like a combination of paper maps and GPS. Personally on long road trips though, I almost entirely just depend on the regular maps, and just bust out the GPS for when I'm exploring an unknown city. That and just keeping tabs on where I'm at. I do like the live estimated arrival time and distance left. GPS is an awesome tool to supplement our navigation, but man has it made people COMPLETELY directionally challenged.

Despite what people may say about digital scalability, you just can't beat the scale of seeing the state in its entirety on something that's 3+ feet wide. SOOOOO much faster than zooming in and out and in and out, and panning around on a screen. So inefficient compared to a regular map.

I used to travel a lot around the country and I just kept a stack of those nice laminated Rand McNally road maps in the glove box. One for each state. Those ones aren't the most detailed but they fold up super easy. Need more detail? Break out the phone or pull up the car's nav.

Flying with a GPS is so much easier than using charts.

I alway fly IFR, I Follow Roads.

I hate people that hold their poles horizontally and swing their arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I alway fly IFR, I Follow Roads.
    In Alaska it's I Follow Rivers,

ordered a north face ABS vest in early december and it arrives without the canister and handle. so we call and the service people just can’t understand how this product works and what is missing.
    hour long conversation while they figure it out.
    then they say they will call us back with a resolution. dont call back for like a week. so we call them again and they give us an RA # to send the old one back and they will send us a new one. receive the new one and it comes without the MF cartridge and handle again.
    so now we’re back to square one again. wtf
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    ordered a north face ABS vest in early december and it arrives without the canister and handle. so we call and the service people just can’t understand how this product works and what is missing.
    hour long conversation while they figure it out.
    then they say they will call us back with a resolution. dont call back for like a week. so we call them again and they give us an RA # to send the old one back and they will send us a new one. receive the new one and it comes without the MF cartridge and handle again.
    so now we’re back to square one again. wtf
    Did they send the one you returned back to you?

I had that happen once with a pair of boots. I knew they were the same ones because a tiny piece of Christmas wrapping paper that I missed pulling off the box was still attached to the box of "new" pair I rec'd.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^jeezus BB. I would opt out of tnf for now. Go with a different set up. If they can't get that right, what else are they missing? Yeah, it's probably just a packaging issue, but wtf. They're not shipping lincoln logs, it's live saving equipment.

Tell them your husband is a pro and you will not tolerate this.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Did they send the one you returned back to you?

I had that happen once with a pair of boots. I knew they were the same ones because a tiny piece of Christmas wrapping paper that I missed pulling off the box was still attached to the box of "new" pair I rec'd.
    i had the same thought but they did expedite the new one so it seems unlikely. altho not totally out of the question if they just turned it around

and strawjack i wd go with the dakine abs vest instead but they are sold out and i think I recall going with the TNF originally bc the dakine was only available in the L/XL size.

luckily the avi danger has been so sketchy that i’ve mostly stayed out of the BC anyway but so so annoying. thanks for hearing me vent gang
    skid luxury

I'd pull out the bag and paint a big middle finger on it, then use their label and send it back.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    people who put a new skintrack up the middle of the run rather than using the ALREADY ESTABLISHED one off to the side. what the fuck people.
    What about the people who skin side by side in deep new snow?

What's the etiquette again for farting in the skin track?

Vent on the up
    Zip on the down

Stopped on interstate for 2 fucking hours and missing my flight. About 12 fuckers doing a rear ending gang bang and block the whole fucking interstate. Now I get to spend my day at DIA, fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Stopped on interstate for 2 fucking hours and missing my flight. About 12 fuckers doing a rear ending gang bang and block the whole fucking interstate. Now I get to spend my day at DIA, fuck.
    Is that like an I-70 reach around?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is that like an I-70 reach around?

470 donkey punch

Usually a quick 30 min drive garage to lot, no so today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Weird. When I quote you I can see you tried to post an image as it's addy shows up but there ain't no image when I (or you) post.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

This thread...

...aaaand, tuna casseroles...

Quote Originally Posted by idahochris View Post
    ...aaaand, tuna casseroles...
    First post? Really? Since 2011?

Or are you one of those incredibly annoying JONG's who delete every post?

Either way, it's annoying.