Page 1611 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 ... LastLast
Results 40,251 to 40,275 of 46047
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    The whole “you can’t criticize Americas short comings while simultaneously taking advantage of its rights and protections” line of bullshit is annoying.
    It's part and parcel with "if you don't like this country then leave!" The beauty of this country is that we can criticize it and hopefully take action to make it better. That's fundamental to being an American.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It's part and parcel with "if you don't like this country then leave!" The beauty of this country is that we can criticize it and hopefully take action to make it better. That's fundamental to being an American.
    This.

Experian.

This is just dumb. In other words she deserved it because she wasn't patriotic? This discussion should start and end with whether or not she deserved to be sent to a gulag for the crime she allegedly committed.
    She didn't deserve it, but she shouldn't have been too shocked about it, either. If you're going to travel to a country where using foreign nationals as bargaining chips is an accepted practice, it's probably a good idea to understand what the rules around controlled substances are before attempting to bring them into the country.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    She didn't deserve it, but she shouldn't have been too shocked about it, either. If you're going to travel to a country where using foreign nationals as bargaining chips is an accepted practice, it's probably a good idea to understand what the rules around controlled substances are before attempting to bring them into the country.

Sure, but I'd say being incarcerated for 10 months in Russia was punishment enough for this dumb mistake (assuming she did what she was accused of).

Sure, but I'd say being incarcerated for 10 months in Russia was punishment enough for this dumb mistake (assuming she did what she was accused of).
    I'd say a month was more than enough to fit the actual infraction, but that's also part of the reason Russia was fairly low on my "countries to visit" list even before their most recent invasion of Ukraine.

This is just dumb. In other words she deserved it because she wasn't patriotic? This discussion should start and end with whether or not she deserved to be sent to a gulag for the crime she allegedly committed.
    I'm not calling you out exactly - I get what you're trying to say AD...but WTF.
    Is it "patriotic" to "Hoorah" when the cops murder a black dude by kneeling on his neck as he suffocates to death?
    (I'm having trouble not spitting here, my contempt for this whole idea is so extreme. Again, I know you're responding to the post...)

I guess that to me, it seems most patriotic to work towards that ideal of a "more perfect union" where we don't devalue peoples lives because of their skin color, or their status in society.

So from that vein, I'd say she's far *more* patriotic than fools who think it's a great thing to support police who commit crimes and abuse the populace they are sworn to serve.

Standing up and saying "Hey, WTF? Having cops murder people in callous disregard is WRONG!" - well that's not badmouthing ("talking shit") about the US. It's holding the US to the actual principles enumerated in the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution. Waving the flag and all that shit, while allowing that kind of thing to continue - that's being a terrible citizen, IMO.

I'll stop now before I get super pissed.
    Sheesh

[Edited to add: @AD, I get you're not on the side of supporting police misconduct. I just think it's really easy to end up using the language of patriotism, and falling into the trap of defining it on "their" terms.]

AD wasn't saying she wasn't patriotic, he was responding to someone who said that. You misread his intent.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    AD wasn't saying she wasn't patriotic, he was responding to someone who said that. You misread his intent.
    Correct. My response was to this quote from MF: "The reason Griner especially deserved this bit of karmic justice is how she'd walk off the court before the US National Anthem would even begin playing, in protest."

A very smart journalist who is covering the Ukraine conflict right now made a good point that if the WNBA will only pay their player 10-15% of what they can make playing overseas in Russia or China, these women are going to be used as pawns by those regimes. It’s a legitimate national security concern. Athletes are used for political means all the time (see: Qatar World Cup, Sochi, etc). All of this is a lot bigger than one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    A very smart journalist who is covering the Ukraine conflict right now made a good point that if the WNBA will only pay their player 10-15% of what they can make playing overseas in Russia or China, these women are going to be used as pawns by those regimes.
    That's wild they can make so much playing in Russia and China. That IS a good point about them being used as pawns. Could well be their very purpose in getting hired (unbeknownst to the players) and why those specific countries are willing to pay big $$$ for WNBA players of all people.

Put the crack pipe down, this was an isolated event so far.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Has anyone mentioned (outside of the obvious TGR example) the absolutely insane money grab of Grateful Dead licensed merchandise?
    It’s gotten absurd.
    Igloo coolers?

There's crack?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Has anyone mentioned (outside of the obvious TGR example) the absolutely insane money grab of Grateful Dead licensed merchandise?
    It’s gotten absurd.
    Igloo coolers?
    I still haven't figured out how Jerry kept designing ties for years after he died.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I still haven't figured out how Jerry kept designing ties for years after he died.
    I think Bob Marley has still got him beat on the posthumous marketing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It’s gotten absurd.
    Igloo coolers?
    The new K2 Dead ski colab used possibly the most underwhelming graphics ever. No they won actually.

seems like all my skis are Dead skis

and TGR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670594404.430663.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	562.6 KB 
ID:	437485
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Got pretty boxed in at (FUCKING MADHOUSE) ski area today by some douchebag who moved a cone to park VERY CLOSE to my truck. did a walk around and yeah it was gonna be close, but possible. i was able to inch my way back and forth a few times to get out of the spot....and homie and his bro were still at the car as i was pulling out.

me: "Shitty parking spot, dumbass"
    him: fuck you
    me: keep doing stupid shit like that and you'll prolly wanna check your tire pressure before you head down the canyon at the end up the day, DUMBASS.

--as i look down at the valve stem remover in my cupholder.

and oh, check the single lane 'highway' to get home. thankfully there wasn't anyone (ie a fully loaded truck w a snow machine trailer!) coming down while i was navigating this illegal parking bullshit.

my patience is growing thin...and it's early december.

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	437722

I blame Gary Fischer.

Name:  EE1AD64B-BBD0-4823-9AB9-3387669D3E5F.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  140.1 KB

I lived in other countries. I was really happy to come home. Maybe because I grew up mostly on the shore of Tahoe. This is a special place. We have it so good. And I think we are fucking it up. It’s so special it’s worth fighting for.

All I got. Most of the people in world want to come live here. Not because of the facts in the ground but the idea of what free is supposed to look like. They look to us
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

LOL, I would actually rock this at a festival.

Name:	A0A6DD69-9D79-4B5E-9EF6-18A7D954E5C8.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	699.2 KB 
ID:	437726

If you think coughing with bruised ribs is painful, may I introduce you to puking with bruised ribs. FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If you think coughing with bruised ribs is painful, may I introduce you to puking with bruised ribs. FML.
    Jager is good cough syrup, until it isn't.

Life comes at you fast