Page 1606 of 1641 FirstFirst ... 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 ... LastLast
Results 40,126 to 40,150 of 41004
  1. #40126
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    18,243
    Create a spreadsheet of breakers
    Breaker location. what it serves. Amps.

    Print on regular paper and tape to the door.

    Been doing it a long time.

    There’s just not enough room on the factory labels when you have multiple circuits on one breaker.

    Attachment 436051

  2. #40127
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,422
    I think Rideit gets that, at least now he does. I think the point is that the ship has sailed. If you pull the panel cover, you will hopefully see each circuit labeled on the romex as is comes into the panel.

    The high end, try to waste a much money as possible, custom home dork sparky move is to find an online template for you panel, complete and print onto an Avery Sticker.

  3. #40128
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    We had the electricians install a 70 slot panel last year. When they re-labeled all of the breakers, they used freaking non-waterproof ink, on plain paper stickers. I just went out to check something, and there is absolutely no indicators of what breaker goes to what.

    WTF.
    Foggy has a good suggestion above, so maybe do that if all else fails, BUT first I'd get that electrician's ass back out to your house to relabel it all... properly. If the romex isn't labeled underneath the panel, then make them trace it all and re-label. Getting a new panel wasn't cheap I'm sure, and it's not asking too much for them to come back real quick to re-do that for you. It's a major liability issue for them if somebody accidentally fries themselves or something because the breakers weren't freaking labeled (prolly not gonna happen, but still, it's an issue). If they give you hassle, just tell them that since you don't know what's what, you'll have to give your insurance company a heads up about who did the electrical work in case there's ever a house fire. They'll be there first thing in the morning.

    Seriously, though. It is NOT asking too much to make them come back out. Even if it's been a year. My house is around 30 years old. Label's still perfectly intact.

  4. #40129
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,422
    I mean there is a question about how the panel got wet and I'm not sure the Mega Karen demands that 'Tukey makes will get you phone call even returned...

    some Sparky have A+ handwriting with a fine tipped Sharpie...most don't

    I think it is the new Square D panels that actually come with a knock out template in the box

  5. #40130
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I mean there is a question about how the panel got wet and I'm not sure the Mega Karen demands that 'Tukey makes will get you phone call even returned...
    Dude. It's not being a Mega Karen to expect your breakers to be labeled. It's the most basic of basic things. Not saying you gotta go full nuclear on the guys, but it's not expecting too much to get them back to re-label the thing.

  6. #40131
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,422
    well it kinda seems like the breakers were labeled, right?

    You were a small business owner, how did you react when the customers came with the threatening legal mumbo jumbo?

  7. #40132
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    well it kinda seems like the breakers were labeled, right?

    You were a small business owner, how did you react when the customers came with the threatening legal mumbo jumbo?
    Never came to that because ANY time there was the slightest of issues, I was Johnny on the spot to rectify the issue. If my techs were busy, I'd take care of it myself. Rideit has a right to be annoyed. It's ok.

  8. #40133
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    16,738
    I would be fucking irate
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  9. #40134
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    4,877
    Karen demands from the guy who canít even get used car salesmen to return his calls aside, Iím still stuck at the implication that waterproof labeling inside a fricking ELECTRICAL PANEL is an obvious requirement.

    Whatís the rest of that story?
    focus.

  10. #40135
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Karen demands from the guy who canít even get used car salesmen to return his calls aside, Iím still stuck at the implication that waterproof labeling inside a fricking ELECTRICAL PANEL is an obvious requirement.

    Whatís the rest of that story?
    I suspect the waterproof deck is above the panel and leaked directly on it.

  11. #40136
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,422
    Technicians? I didn't know we have technicians in the house.

  12. #40137
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    14,252
    Zing

  13. #40138
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I suspect the waterproof deck is above the panel and leaked directly on it.
    Maybe he can re-label the box with the cordless caulk gun?

  14. #40139
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    621
    I thought everyone did it like me. Turn every light on in the house. Interrupt whatever your wife is doing. Yell back and forth throughout the entire house and garage meanwhile documenting your theories on which breaker controls what. Extra credit if you have a three prong outlet checker. Turn off the breaker you theorize controls the light fixture you want to change. Still shock yourself when miraculously it was some how wired to a circuit two rooms away. Rinse, repeat.

    Last remodel I did was pretty extensive, all flooring, three bathrooms and the kitchen in a 2,100 square foot three level condo. Every time I monkeyed with the electrical I would just turn the main breaker off. An old friend who is a retired electrician tied up all the stuff I missed or messed up in a couple hours at the very end. He was not impressed. I still believe that electrical and plumbing should be left to the pros although I wish they hadnít gotten so expensive, makes me flirt with two trades I donít like nor am very good at.

  15. #40140
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    12,855
    If only there was a tool that you could use to trace circuits to which breaker they connected to


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #40141
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    20,739
    And the circuits that are mysteriously connected to two different breakers.

  17. #40142
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,392
    Occasionally jongs misunderstand the point of the Ullr thread. Do we need an official point defined for this thread? I think of it as a safe space to vent. Sometimes the Karens seem strangely eager to find / invent a way to say a mag venting here is being a Karen.

  18. #40143
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I thought everyone did it like me. Turn every light on in the house. Interrupt whatever your wife is doing. Yell back and forth throughout the entire house and garage meanwhile documenting your theories on which breaker controls what. Extra credit if you have a three prong outlet checker. Turn off the breaker you theorize controls the light fixture you want to change. Still shock yourself when miraculously it was some how wired to a circuit two rooms away. Rinse, repeat.

    Last remodel I did was pretty extensive, all flooring, three bathrooms and the kitchen in a 2,100 square foot three level condo. Every time I monkeyed with the electrical I would just turn the main breaker off. An old friend who is a retired electrician tied up all the stuff I missed or messed up in a couple hours at the very end. He was not impressed. I still believe that electrical and plumbing should be left to the pros although I wish they hadn’t gotten so expensive, makes me flirt with two trades I don’t like nor am very good at.
    Went through something similar with Ms Boissal recently. Much yelling was required to eventually determine that one bedroom is on 3 separate circuits. Outlets on the outside walls (2 of them) on one, outlet on the inside wall on another, and light on a third. Glorious. The inside wall outlet is also controlled by a switch outside the bedroom, because why not.
    Interestingly enough the outside wall outlets read "open neutral" when I plug the 3-prong tester in them. Which I gather is no good. Nothing's grounded either. Got an electrician in there last year and he gave us the "fuck you I'm not doing this" quote, basically the downpayment on a new house.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  19. #40144
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Greg_o
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    We had the electricians install a 70 slot panel last year. When they re-labeled all of the breakers, they used freaking non-waterproof ink, on plain paper stickers. I just went out to check something, and there is absolutely no indicators of what breaker goes to what.

    WTF.
    Any chance you took an 'after' photo at the time?

  20. #40145
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    If only there was a tool that you could use to trace circuits to which breaker they connected to
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes, those are cheap on Amazon, and even the cheapo Chinese versions work well enough.
    It will be a PITA, and will take a few hours for a couple of people to check most everything (depending on the size of the installation) but it's certainly not impossible.

    Have to agree that not labeling with some industrial (Brother label printer at least) method was extra stupid. Spend lots of dollars on the install, and they just scribble some stuff on paper? (Perhaps the installers have a pic, though given everything else, I doubt it. I know I sure would - it'd be part of the documentation of the project and would get saved for a good long time.)

  21. #40146
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    16,738

    Shit that annoys you

    patients in the hospital refusing to wear masks, then getting argumentative, hostile and abusive about it

    yeah - Iím kicking you out of the hospital

    and yeah - Iíll get Security to come escort you out if I have to

    and no - there isnít anywhere else within an hour of here that performs that test

    and yes - if you go to our partner hospital an hour and a half away or one of the two an hour away, theyíre going to make you wear a mask

    goodbye
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-30-2022 at 07:15 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  22. #40147
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    patients in the hospital refusing to wear masks, then getting argumentative, hostile and abusive about it

    yeah - Iím kicking you out of the hospital

    and yeah - Iíll get Security to come escort you out if I have to

    and no - there isnít anywhere else within an hour of here that performs that test

    goodbye
    Less annoying than wildly hostile and inappropriate in a healthcare setting, my god

    Sorry you have to deal with those fucks Mikey

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  23. #40148
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    16,738
    it was not a good part of my day today thatís for sure
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  24. #40149
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    14,732
    I applaud you MB.

    And Iím glad I didnít have to deal with that.

  25. #40150
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    3,709
    How is it possible that there are still dipshits out there refusing to mask up in a hospital? That ship sailed, what, 3+ years ago? In a way you have to admire their dedications to acting like complete fucks...
    Vibes and praises for you continued patient with these knobs MB...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •