Page 1129 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 ... LastLast
Results 28,201 to 28,225 of 45938
    If I only had 3 days of sick for every 6 months, I would be inclined to come to work if I had a cold/minor issue too. I'd be thinking that I may need it for something real.

My employer also encourages sick people coming to work in that after you accrue a certain number of sick hours it converts to vacation at the beginning of the year. So if you are maxed out on sick leave you earn an extra 2 weeks of vacation per year.

I'm annoyed that I have separate accruals for sick time and vacation time where I work currently, particularly because you accrue sick time faster than vacation time. Coming from an employer with one "PTO" pot where all of your accrued time went, this shit annoys me...a lot.

I can manage my own time, thanks.

In the context of this discussion, PTO is not helpful. Because it encourages sick people to come to work, so they can save that time off for vacation/fun.

Dedicated sick time -- with no conversion policy --- is the only way to really encourage people to stay home when they are sick.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    In the context of this discussion, PTO is not helpful. Because it encourages sick people to come to work, so they can save that time off for vacation/fun.

Dedicated sick time -- with no conversion policy --- is the only way to really encourage people to stay home when they are sick.
    And lots of it. In case you need it for something real, like cancer or a major surgery.

Right. The problem is we start to worry about people abusing the policy, so it turns into bullshit “are you really sick?” inquiries. It’s just a patchwork quilt of systems to make up for a general lack of accountability and mutual respect.

I’d like to see an unlimited PTO policy with minimum vacation time requirements and strong cultural taboos around coming to work sick, tired, etc. Haven’t been able to sell it at my own employer, yet, though we’ve got lower hanging fruit still.
    focus.

What in god's name is going on in this thread?

That's only true if you're a fucking idiot. Or too much of a simpering pussy to manage your time in the manner that is best for YOU, not your employer. Fucking sheeple.

The only thing dedicated sick time does is force me to call in "sick" one or two days a month to actually utilize the time off I earned, and should have full control over. Unfortunately, the sheeple have been convinced otherwise by their HR departments.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    sick fucks going on about sick fucks. It's annoying, so I guess it's in the right place.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've never worried about the length of my dick, but lying flat on my back trying to piss into a urinal maybe I should.
    So true, especially if you are laid up and on pain meds. The boy was just totally uninterested and it was embarrassing when the nurses were helping me get undressed. I thought they might be insulted but realized this was not something new to them....I hope

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That's only true if you're a fucking idiot. Or too much of a simpering pussy to manage your time in the manner that is best for YOU, not your employer. Fucking sheeple.
    I'm not the one who is a fucking idiot. This is a tragedy of the commons issue. Under a PTO system, what is your incentive as an individual to stay home when you have a cold? It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what's best for the employer (though they do get some benefits from it), it has to do with what's best for your fellow employees. A PTO system encourages employees to do exactly what you say, to do what is best for them. Not what is best for their coworkers. And that's a problem any fucking idiot who isn't a huge self centered asshole can see.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Junior Brown, who plays an instrument that he designed/built and is entirely unique, had his guit-steel stolen. Stupid assholes are annoying.

Sure am happy to have unlimited PTO.

Oh, and we have accrued sick time, for some unknown fucking reason.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't know but it's annoying.

But I'll take the one big pot of PTO thanks and sneeze in Danno's general direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sure am happy to have unlimited PTO.

Oh, and we have accrued sick time, for some unknown fucking reason.
    Unlimited vacation time is terrible for most people. Because it's never really unlimited, you just don't always know the number that will get you in trouble. And when you walk from that job, you get nothing.

My last employer had unlimited, and I took maybe 3 weeks off a year. Which was fine, I guess, certainly better than 2 set weeks of vacation time. But I'll take my current situation of 14 hours/month vacation over "unlimited" any day of the week.

Unlimited vacation time is terrible for most people. Because it's never really unlimited, you just don't always know the number that will get you in trouble.
    I've yet to find that number... but I'll keep looking for it.

My last employer had unlimited, and I took maybe 3 weeks off a year. Which was fine, I guess, certainly better than 2 set weeks of vacation time. But I'll take my current situation of 14 hours/month vacation over "unlimited" any day of the week.
    Fair 'nuff.

I just checked - I'm at 6.2 weeks PTO this year so far...

I have something like 6 weeks of sick time saved up. If I don't feel well (or there's 10" of pow), I don't come to work.
    Help me out here. How is this not converting sick leave into vacation time?

I get this discussion has moved into the realm of HR/legal professionals but my life observation is no matter what the policy is, legally, someone eventually will be gone if they abuse it. And sometimes pushed out the door by shitty corps even if they don't

What Danno says.

And how about if your MOU says "if an employee is sick for more than 3 consecutive days, they may be required to bring verification from a physician." And then the young punk know-nothing paranoid new director decides that that verbiage means all employees must to bring a doctor's note if they are gone from work due to illness for 2 days? It's beyond annoying that an engineer can read that wording and think that means 2. I thought those guys were supposed to be good at math? Maybe it's just English they suck at.

They probably suck at more than just English.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Help me out here. How is this not converting sick leave into vacation time?

I get this discussion has moved into the realm of HR/legal professionals but my life observation is no matter what the policy is, legally, someone eventually will be gone if they abuse it. And sometimes pushed out the door by shitty corps even if they don't
    Mostly I was being flippant. Powder days for me are usually either vacation days or work from home days, where I put in some time in the afternoon/evening and make sure to regularly check emails during the day.

Junior Brown, who plays an instrument that he designed/built and is entirely unique, had his guit-steel stolen. Stupid assholes are annoying.

That is annoying, JR Brown is Fucking great
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Junkies annoy me.

But damnit, I’d take some oxy if I had some
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Junkies annoy me.

But damnit, I’d take some oxy if I had some
    Srsly. It's a good thing that shit is prescription-only...

Shit that annoys you

Stairs?!?!?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	296939
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Walking down an enclosed overpass, smelling the cologne of the guy some 100' in front of me. Come on, man.

Walking down an enclosed overpass, smelling the cologne of the guy some 100' in front of me. Come on, man.
    At my old firm we had a guy that wore so much damned cologne it announced his presence a good 15 yards ahead of him. How he got it to do that was remarkable. And offensive.

I was a solid 8 offices down the hall and every morning without fail my buddy would send an email when the stench hit, "smells like Chris is in."
    I still call it The Jake.