Check Out Our Shop
Page 1862 of 1880 FirstFirst ... 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 ... LastLast
Results 46,526 to 46,550 of 46994
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Oh and FU with your pricy windshields, ND. Because no, I can't figure how to do it myself.
    Mag discount bruh! Just have to drive over here

Go on about the small business racket. Around here the whole "the service economy is so expensive" thing is over. The "smart people" with the clean hands bitching about the $200 15 minute service call from the garage door guy.

Either figure it out yourself, pay or don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Exactly. Service economy requires labor. Labor costs more now. You think the business owner should take a hit because he has to pay his employees and himself enough to live so you can save a buck on your hvac repair? Nah bud. Either DIY or break out the wallet.
    I don't mind paying an outfit good money for a quality technician. Not at all. What I DO mind however is getting blatantly ripped off as well as the parts gatekeeping that goes on specifically with HVAC components. Most local suppliers will not sell to the public. Often times, when your AC poops out, it's nothing more than a capacitor or motherboard. EASY fixes. Easy enough for me to diagnose and swap. However, it always shits the bed in the hottest (or coldest) conditions so you kind of need the parts quickly. I'll find the part for like $10 online (and not much higher locally) but parts stores won't freaking sell them to me, telling me I have to use a licensed contractor. So I find somebody and the company will want like $150 to come out + $400 for the part + a couple hours billed to do the job, and next thing you know we're at $800 for an easy repair where I already knew the issue. I just needed the damn part! That's not what happened this time, but just an easy example to pick on that's happened before. They told me I needed a whole new AC system for like $18K when it was literally just a cheap cap, and gave me a bunch of high pressure, scare sales tactics. Didn't work. Been going strong for 5 more years just fine.

Anyway, most recent issue was the furnace control board fried itself (different unit), so fan wasn't running, and caused the compressor and lines to ice over. NOT a big deal. $150 for the part from Grainger but they were of course closed over the 3 day weekend, as was everybody else. Called around and most HVAC companies couldn't even get to me until then anyway due to said parts suppliers being closed. Found a tech who came out Saturday, said he would replace the control board for a shit ton of money (like $800) but I had already told him I was considering swapping out the entire system and to get me some quotes for a new setup (Hey! More money for them, right? You'd think they would want that). Well, he tried pushing me to swap the control board while we wait for the new system to get shipped in, but I was like "Hey, buddy. Isn't all of that about to ripped out anyway when we replace the system?" He was like "Well, yes." "So then why would I spend close to a grand to just use that part for a few days." Him: "Well, do what you want." I fired him and got a bunch of other quotes. At least I'm ending up with a better system than he was pitching to me for thousands less. Guy was ripping me off for sure, but that's the thing about the residential HVAC industry. They have a reputation about like used car salesmen of old. They're just missing the cheesy plaid suits.

Again, don't mind paying people what they're worth. I mainly just don't like getting blatantly ripped off. Whether it's them or the industry writ large.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny H View Post
    It isn’t just the labor. Have a look at a refrigeration mechanic’s tool kit sometime. No way anyone has all that on hand. Gauges, etc.
    Meh. When it's not refrigerant that's the problem, it's not all that complicated. I know my way around a multimeter. I've done A/C systems on cars too, so know how to use the vacuums, the gauges, measure the refrigerant going into the system. Home A/C isn't that much different. Mainly different amounts, but the concepts are more or less similar. Main problem is us civilians can't score the R410a very easily. None of this matters though when I'm replacing the system. I'll let those guys handle it. I'm about to drop $10K, which beats the $18K I was told before. Again, don't mind paying $$$. Just treat me fairly and don't try to rip me off with unnecessary bullcrap.

That does sound a bit like a dick sandwich. I think you live in Houston now? I can see an AC service call being >$500 not matter how you slice and dice the price.

You indicated it is easy but you don't have fast access to the part but you can get it online? No basically you are paying it get it fixed now!

It sucks, but anytime you have one of something and you can't do without, you a bit low on leverage. It could be a printer, a car, a furnace, your glasses, bag o' weed and so on. The go to move is have a backup or do without. Is either of those on option for your furnace or AC?

That does sound a bit like a dick sandwich. I think you live in Houston now? I can see an AC service call being >$500 not matter how you slice and dice the price.

You indicated it is easy but you don't have fast access to the part but you can get it online? No basically you are paying it get it fixed now!

It sucks, but anytime you have one of something and you can't do without, you a bit low on leverage. It could be a printer, a car, a furnace, your glasses, bag o' weed and so on. The go to move is have a backup or do without. Is either of those on option for your furnace or AC?
    I'm down the road in SA so pretty swampy last weekend too. Blech. You're not wrong. They thought they had me over a barrel but I picked up a couple portable AC units from Costco and my brother lent me a third so we survived the weekend, and that bought us enough time to shop around. Guys I found ended up being pretty cool. I told them what I wanted over the phone and they gave me a price. Owner came out yesterday just to make sure we weren't going too big a unit and I asked him about this and that, and ends up not only does is their price all inclusive (like ALL the BS everybody else upsells you on), but he beat others by a full 10 grand for one model I was cross-shopping. Great reputation apparently, so I guess we'll find out soon. Pays to shop around apparently! Like by a LOT.

As to the part access, you're right. You can have it fast at a premium or cheap if you can wait. I was just cranky about it because I actually found the part locally at a couple places. In stock and at a reasonable price. Jerks just wouldn't sell it to me was the problem. I know I was off on a bit of a rant previously, but I've cooled off (both physically and metaphorically). This place is just always great for venting... no pun intended.

Have you considered going into the HVAC business instead of the poorly paid industry you're currently in?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Have you considered going into the HVAC business instead of the poorly paid industry you're currently in?
    In an alternative timeline, I totally should have. Haha. Too late for that now tho. Gots billz to pay and can't start all over, ya know? If I could rewind the clock, I'd do a LOT of things differently.

People and this site.

WTF? It's barely usable. Phone is a tiny bit better than laptop but both are like surfing the net circa 1998.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I’m sure somebody has mentioned personal Bluetooth speakers in the outdoors but WTF are you thinking TGR?

Quote Originally Posted by skipowpow View Post
    I’m sure somebody has mentioned personal Bluetooth speakers in the outdoors but WTF are you thinking TGR?
    It’s shit that annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    People and this site.

WTF? It's barely usable. Phone is a tiny bit better than laptop but both are like surfing the net circa 1998.
    Maybe the forum software decided it should grow up and act its age

When you're standing there in the hardware store and one thing is $5 and the other is $9 and you cheap out. Of course it stops working then sprays you in the face when it leaks...

People and this site.

In college I wrote my code on Fortran, typed it out on punch cards, took them to the physics building where the tech fed them into the mainframe that filled the whole basement, and in two days I received a folded roll of perforated paper telling me that 2 plus 2 equals 4. That was better, faster, and higher tech than this.

Being a Minion

Improper use of "historic" vs "historical" by people who should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Improper use of "historic" vs "historical" by people who should know better.
    E.g. historians - annoying and amusing!

Miller moths

People and this site.

So it's not just me.
    It's painful now
    First world problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Miller moths
    oh hell yes. I was just today thinking we haven’t had a moth outbreak here for a while. We might be due.

United Airlines. They just don't give a shit. On the bright side I had a flight tomorrow morning that was pushed back twice and due to my lack of giving a fuck about screwing around I cancelled for a full refund and now I will fly out on Wednesday morning on Delta. Delta kinda gives a shit and Id rather keep my flying world going through ATL. Easy airport with tons of sky lounges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1717417110.952004.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	494430

Every dimension is just slightly too big to fit in a standard kitchen drawer.
    focus.

People and this site.

Good to know it's not just my connection

Actually it seems a bit better this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1717417110.952004.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	494430

Every dimension is just slightly too big to fit in a standard kitchen drawer.
    Man - I've got a small one of these, and I'm *sorely* tempted to get a whole set of 'em:

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man - I've got a small one of these, and I'm *sorely* tempted to get a whole set of 'em:

How much were those? And more importantly, how easy;; s it to remove some if the smaller tip sections? I often need funnels for dry items which work better in a wider funnel. The canning funnel is too wide to fit a small mouth jar or a spice container.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I have that exact set (I think) from Amazon. They're not amazing but they're fine. Not very good for getting stuff into very small openings, the material is kinda thick so the nipple is a little big. I think you could cut them pretty easily, like with just a decent pair of scissors.