Page 1581 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 ... LastLast
Results 39,501 to 39,525 of 45935
    Alternative Facts don't care what you think.

Now you're confusing them with Punk Facts.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Breaking my foot, dislocating my ankle, and a high ankle sprain just as fall MTB season gets going. Attachment 428271
    IME, those ^^ boots suck. The wedge under the heel makes it so your ankle doesn't flex nearly as far, etc.
    (I did my tib+fib and they went to that after the first 5 days post-op.)

I ditched the wedge right away and the rest of the boot within a week or so (though I wasn't walking on it for 5 weeks.)
    I'd wear it occasionally when I wanted a little protection - say I was to fall down the stairs or something. [Glad that never happened. Stairs on crutches suck. I gave up the crutches pretty quick and just hopped mostly.]

If you're walking on it, and that give some "support" perhaps that's different, I don't know. But I felt that just having mine "out" allowed me to flex it when I was sitting around and work to keep ROM up.

And heal up quick!
    I'd be pissed, if that were me!

(Edited to add: There's hope. I skied on mine at 11.5 weeks. Yeah, it was semi-stupid, but I mostly got away with it. [long story])

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    IME, those ^^ boots suck. The wedge under the heel makes it so your ankle doesn't flex nearly as far, etc.

I ditched the wedge right away and the rest of the boot within a week or so (though I wasn't walking on it for 5 weeks.)
    I'd wear it occasionally when I wanted a little protection - say I was to fall down the stairs or something. [Glad that never happened. Stairs on crutches suck. I gave up the crutches pretty quick and just hopped mostly.]

If you're walking on it, and that give some "support" perhaps that's different, I don't know. But I felt that just having mine "out" allowed me to flex it when I was sitting around and work to keep ROM up.

And heal up quick!

(Edited to add: There's hope. I skied on mine at 11.5 weeks. Yeah, it was semi-stupid, but I mostly got away with it. [long story])
    File under things not to do. I take it you’re young with this stellar plan of hell with the doctors, they don’t know jack.

When you do dumb shit when you’re young it hurts infinitely worse 20-30 years down the road. Ask me how I know this for fact.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Me: how are your [college] classes going?
    Thing #2: fine
    Me after thinking for a moment: what did the judge give you for urinating in public?
    Thing #2 after thinking for a moment: a spot on the registry.

I can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    File under things not to do. I take it you’re young with this stellar plan of hell with the doctors, they don’t know jack.
    When you do dumb shit when you’re young it hurts infinitely worse 20-30 years down the road. Ask me how I know this for fact.
    Do what works for you. I'm not recommending any particular course, other than my experience. (And that was, that those boots suck.)
    BTW, I was 49. That was 6 years ago. If I'm still skiing hard in 30 years, I'll definitely consider that a win.

(Oh, and FWIW, I skied my first day back with the doc that took care of me immediately after I broke it...As I noted, it's a long/complicated story, probably not for this thread. But I think I made reasonably well informed decisions, after doing a lot of reading etc. Was I pushing it? Sure. A far as I could? Absolutely. But I also don't think I'll regret it.)

Shit that annoys you

And heal up quick!

I’m still not weighting at all. Been off it for 4.5 weeks and have about 2.5 weeks to go before I’m weighting it.

I’m one of those guys with a chronic dislocating shoulder. I made some poor decisions when I was young when it happened. Never even saw a doc.

I’m 45 and want to make sure I come back strong from this.

I like the boot for piece of mind but ditch it a couple of times a day to rest. I flex it a little bit when I do that. I’m on crutches and I move around so much with them it’s a bit of a core workout. I also have a knee scooter which is fun to drift around the hardwood floors.

This was an MTB injury and as frustrated as I am to miss the fall, doing it on Labor Day Weekend at least gives me a fighting chance to salvage some ski season.

I want to make sure I do it right though. I can mitigate my shoulder injury snowboarding, mountain biking and backpacking. I can’t really avoid using my foot and ankle during those activities.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    I’m still not weighting at all. Been off it for 4.5 weeks and have about 2.5 weeks to go before I’m weighting it.

I like the boot for piece of mind but ditch it a couple of times a day to rest. I flex it a little bit when I do that. I’m on crutches and I move around so much with them it’s a bit of a core workout. I also have a knee scooter which is fun to drift around the hardwood floors.
    Yeah the knee scooter was better than crutches. (You can't carry anything on crutches.)
    I did my ankle speed skating a number of years before, and it was like 10-12 weeks before I could really do anything significant on it. It was probably four to six months before I could skate again without really significant pain and edema, post skate. (While I didn't get xrays etc - I think I just really tore up ligaments etc, vs actually breaking things.)

I think this confirms the "wisdom" I often heard when I did my tib+fib. 'Better a tib+fib than an ACL!' Tendons and ligaments can take a really long time to heal. And there's nothing like an intramedullary nail to get a "quick" fix.

Anyway - hope it goes well and you get some good ski time this year!

After buying wood from Hughes Hardwoods for 30 years and being disappointed by the scarcity of boards and the odd thickness of the wood in the vertical racks near the desk, today I found out that the popular 4/4 boards are in open units way at the far end of the very large building and there was a shit ton of the sapele I wanted. I guess my wife is right--I should ask more questions.

Yeah the knee scooter was better than crutches. (You can't carry anything on crutches.)
    I did my ankle speed skating a number of years before, and it was like 10-12 weeks before I could really do anything significant on it. It was probably four to six months before I could skate again without really significant pain and edema, post skate. (While I didn't get xrays etc - I think I just really tore up ligaments etc, vs actually breaking things.)

I think this confirms the "wisdom" I often heard when I did my tib+fib. 'Better a tib+fib than an ACL!' Tendons and ligaments can take a really long time to heal. And there's nothing like an intramedullary nail to get a "quick" fix.

Anyway - hope it goes well and you get some good ski time this year!
    There are tib fractures and then there are tib fractures. The bad ones I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The upper ones often take out the arteries and nerves to the lower leg and foot. The lower ones have lousy blood supply and sometimes don't heal. Then again, we don't get to pick our injuries, so I guess the saying is harmless.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There are tib fractures and then there are tib fractures. The bad ones I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The upper ones often take out the arteries and nerves to the lower leg and foot. The lower ones have lousy blood supply and sometimes don't heal. Then again, we don't get to pick our injuries, so I guess the saying is harmless.
    Tibial Plateau fractures are their own world of “bad”. I was 12 weeks non-weight bearing after my ORIF of a type ii TPF.

Tib-fib may be “better” than an ACL, but my tibial plateau fracture repair was much worse than my ACL repair on the same knee (4 years prior).
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fact.

The TRG is particularly slow this morning. Server voltage must be low. Tell Benny to pedal faster if he wants to get unbanned.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Fact.
    Dammit, I’ve been waiting to use “Fact” on the same page as Viva posted. Beat me to it.

My work email has my last name first, comma, first name. This annoys me.

What annoys me even more is when people respond to my e-mails and call me by my last name even though my signature has my name laid out correctly. Usually when someone does that, I respond with just my first name after the body of the e-mail. Most of these people still continue to call me by my last name, again and again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

What annoys me even more is when people respond to my e-mails and call me by my last name even though my signature has my name laid out correctly. Usually when someone does that, I respond with just my first name after the body of the e-mail. Most of these people still continue to call me by my last name, again and again and again.
    Hah, this is me to a T. It doesn't help that my last name is also a relatively common first name.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

My email is first name then last name. Even still, I sometimes get addressed by my last name. I passive/aggressively respond to the sender addressing them by their last name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hah, this is me to a T. It doesn't help that my last name is also a relatively common first name.
    Ricky Bobby, is that you?

At my last company we had a sales engineer in Dubai named Zia. After 5 years we were going to move him to London and found out that Zia was actually his last name, and what we thought was his last name was actually his first name. So his email address had it backwards as did every document I'd ever seen, and the fucker never corrected anyone. Likely HR/legal got it wrong on his UK immigration papers which obviously needed to be correct, and he finally told us we'd been saying it wrong all along.

Modern kitchen appliances annoy me. As do kitchen fixtures.

you’d think it would be a quick and easy thing to change my name from Michael to Mike in the system but nooooo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

What's wrong with "mikey"?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    What's wrong with "mikey"?
    It's not SFW

Spotted lantern flies. If you haven’t heard of them yet, you will soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    you’d think it would be a quick and easy thing to change my name from Michael to Mike in the system but nooooo
    You mean like michael Bolton?

Why should you change your name. He’s a no talent ass clown.
    . . .