Page 1419 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 ... LastLast
Results 35,451 to 35,475 of 45938
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Not wanting to blame anyone (though perhaps Boissal wishes I would) I'm kind of startled by this story. (Again, perhaps I shouldn't be...)

But if this is even a tiny percentage of alerts that SAR gets, I can totally see why SPOT gets short-shrift, and why In-Reach, where there's some additional info about the situation, would be FAR superior, and thus get much a better response.
    My wife and I both said, spontaneously, and nearly in unison - "I'd have a hard time pushing the 'I'm dying' button even if I were bloody well dying!"
    Ms Boissal is going to take their SPOT away and give them a InReach specifically for that reason. They should NEVER have sent that SOS. They had hours of daylight left to find an occupied cabin with a landline or flag a car, they're towing a micro trailer with food/water/camping gear, nobody's expecting them anywhere, fucking unacceptable entitlement. SAR people will tell you that they'd prefer people to call too early rather than too late when the situation is getting bad but that doesn't apply here, shit wasn't even remotely heading in a bad direction.

We've customized one of the buttons on the SPOT to send a "going to be late, partial shitshow but nothing serious, don't send help" message. Exactly for these situations. This is what I routinely used when I had the device and was insistent on doing more powder laps well past the time I was supposed to be home. They know of this option but they chose to be lazy shits. I will NEVER let them live that one down.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Have you considered taking away their keys?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Have you considered taking away their keys?
    Sounds like the Jeep is really dead so it might be a non-issue in the future. They're usually reasonable people, not sure what happened on this one.
    The debrief will be fun, the in-laws are already bristling with indignation at the mention of a completely frivolous SAR activation.

Ever since I started dating Ms Boissal I've been lectured about my recklessness skiing/biking/climbing. I can't even count the number of times I've been told that one day SAR would haul my broken body out of some distant wilderness... 8 years into this and the first SAR activation in the family is not to retrieve my mangled corpse, it's to facilitate towing their car on a well graded dirt road feet away from a grocery store. Oops.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I have been on maybe a half-dozen SPOT calls in the last year and I can’t remember a single one resulting in a carry out, recovery, or technical rescue. You go in, find their ass either on a trail or 100yds offa trail, and hike their ass out. Granted, that is 75% of SAR calls.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Sounds like they may end up on YouTube?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is why an InReach rules; send a few text messages so there's no need to alert SAR. There's also the superior coverage and reliability of the Garmin over the SPOT, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sounds like they may end up on YouTube?
    Shit that would be hilarious, I follow that channel on and off and they do pull people out of that area. Their jeep is even the same color as the recovery vehicle these guys use!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Shit that would be hilarious, I follow that channel on and off and they do pull people out of that area. Their jeep is even the same color as the recovery vehicle these guys use!
    Did they get a t-shirt though? I love that channel. Ed's my favorite.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Shit that would be hilarious, I follow that channel on and off and they do pull people out of that area.
    My wife teases me about my watching tow truck TV. (it's the only reason I'd heard of Kolob Terrace Road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

boissal's inlaws annoy.

All of this annoys:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210929_170615.jpeg 
Views:	271 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	387313

Mtngirl/salvavalusis? ^^^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Mtngirl/salvavalusis? ^^^^
    Don't be a dick.

I'm not even sure what I'm seeing there: dance ice packs for aching achilles? Lavender duct tape?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I have the neighbors cat taking a fresh shit on my lawn every morning before it returns home. Fuck you, Kennedy.

Anyone have any methods of deterrent? I don't want to waste money on something if it ain't gonna work. Wife is going to talk to the owner, but I'd rather just end this myself if possible.

Only solutions I can see are:
    1) Figure out a way to keep this fucking cat off my lawn
    2) Tell the owner they'll need to come and pick up the shit every morning
    3) Tell the owner to keep their damn cat inside

2 and 3 will be a hard sell. We're friendly with each other so I don't want to start shit. I guess we will see what happens - but damnit heading out to take the kids to the bus stop eveyr morning with the smell of fresh cat shit in the air is pissing me off.
    UPDATE:

Based on mag reccomendos I went out and bought one of those motion-sensing sprinklers. Set 'er up facing the preferred shitspot yesterday, had the neighbors kid give it a test run and all looked set up.

This morning I find a fresh dookie right in the line of fire - wet grass, I know it was working. This puss likes to be showered whilst shitting, I presume. Will make adjustments and re-evaluate tomorrow.

I wonder if I had the neighbors put a litter box on their porch if that might help. This is getting out of hand!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Congratulations, you installed a cat bidet.

I say just start putting the cat shit on their porch. Maybe they'll make the logical conclusion that their disgusting, sadistic murdering shit beast is a nuisance and needs to be controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I'm not even sure what I'm seeing there: dance ice packs for aching achilles? Lavender duct tape?!?!?
    I'd hit it.

Got my home insurance renewal quote: a premium increase of 50%.

WTF

So I do some digging: WA insurance commish banned the use of credit scores in determining rates in June due to them being "unreliable" according to a frightfully wishy-washy "We believe" statement.

So for those of us who work to reduce debt, pay bills on time, and otherwise meet our financial obligations it's a big FU. We need you to pay more so people with weak scores can pay less.

I have no special insight into the risk formula my insurer uses. But given the fact that other variables remain constant I have to believe this garbage is the driver.

"You have the best opportunity in two decades to get better deals on auto and homeowner policies since insurers can no longer use credit scoring." (OIC website)

Who, exactly, is "you" here?

This. This is shit that annoys me.

^^^^^^. HA HA HA HAHAA

Vote for social justice, eat social justice

WA. CA. Etc. fuck all those retarded voters.

Credit score is one of the best indicators. After your insurance claim index. They have files on all of us. You were low risk. Back in the day. Now you get to pay the same rate as deadbeats.
    Lol. Lol. Lol.
    Enjoy
    . . .

PS. Other than laughing at your situation, see if your broker can get excess or surplus lines from a non admitted broker.

I use a subsidiary of lloyds of London. Not in the state fund. But saves me dough every year.
    It’s a specific quote based on who you are. Unless WA made that illegal too.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    PS. Other than laughing at your situation, see if your broker can get excess or surplus lines from a non admitted broker.

I use a subsidiary of lloyds of London. Not in the state fund. But saves me dough every year.
    It’s a specific quote based on who you are. Unless WA made that illegal too.
    TFI. will check it out.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Got my home insurance renewal quote: a premium increase of 50%.

WTF

So I do some digging: WA insurance commish banned the use of credit scores in determining rates in June due to them being "unreliable" according to a frightfully wishy-washy "We believe" statement.

So for those of us who work to reduce debt, pay bills on time, and otherwise meet our financial obligations it's a big FU. We need you to pay more so people with weak scores can pay less.

I have no special insight into the risk formula my insurer uses. But given the fact that other variables remain constant I have to believe this garbage is the driver.

"You have the best opportunity in two decades to get better deals on auto and homeowner policies since insurers can no longer use credit scoring." (OIC website)

Who, exactly, is "you" here?

This. This is shit that annoys me.
    That sucks. What so many fail to realize is that, the better default and loss can be predicted, the cheaper credit, insurance, etc. can be offered to those who manage their shit AND it can be offered to more people who don’t or are elsewhere on the spectrum. Mad about exclusivity? Credit scoring isn’t your enemy…. Somewhat counterintuitively, better scoring models increase access and reduce costs, not the other way around.

Also note, this particular social justice nonsense doesn’t break very cleanly along political lines.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    That sucks. What so many fail to realize is that, the better default and loss can be predicted, the cheaper credit, insurance, etc. can be offered to those who manage their shit AND it can be offered to more people who don’t or are elsewhere on the spectrum. Mad about exclusivity? Credit scoring isn’t your enemy…. Somewhat counterintuitively, better scoring models increase access and reduce costs, not the other way around.

Also note, this particular social justice nonsense doesn’t break very cleanly along political lines.
    Sounds similar to what happened to my family's health insurance rates when they passed the Affordable Care Act. We no longer got a better rate for being healthy, we just got tossed into the same risk pool with everybody else, which caused our rates to skyrocket. In our case, that 4X increase was offset by the government subsidy, but people who make too much money to get the subsidy got screwed royally.

Sore right knee all summer when I hike. I'm fine as long as I lead left going up and right going down whenever there's a big step. I find a modified Ali shuffle works well. (BTW that Ken Burns series about Ali was great.)

Someone really should invent an alarm clock with a horking dog sound. Nothing gets me to leap out of bed and fly out the door at 4 AM quite like my dog getting ready to puke. "HWHHHH... HWHHA...."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Gaiters. She's obviously a Mountaineer.