Page 1388 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 ... LastLast
Results 34,676 to 34,700 of 46293
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/15/us/ma...rnd/index.html

Millions of dollars will be spent to repair this fuckup. What a waste.
    "The driver reportedly survived the crash, but it's unclear why the back trailer was up, GDOT said."

Because he wasn't paying the fuck attention. As a trucker, this drives me insane. All the regulations that cap our potential earnings and make OTR work miserable, we have done to ourselves, either by negligence, arrogance, or allowing our employers to commit us to unsafe and untenable work conditions. And any moron with a toy hauler/boat/shit pile on wheels can haul any combination of vehicles up to 70' in length with a standard DL. It's a god damn miracle you can see the white and yellow lines through the blood. I swear the only thing keeping humans alive on the road is dumb luck.

Everyone, every single person who has ever operated a vehicle, has made a mistake on the road. Fortunately the vast majority of those mistakes don't involve shifting an entire overpass off its moorings. Be safe out there people.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you work for the DOD you'd better know your acronyms or you might wind up killing the wrong people.
    Are they the "wrong" people, or just "alternative objectives"?

There isn’t some loud annoying noise that gets blasted at the driver when the trailer is up?

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    There isn’t some loud annoying noise that gets blasted at the driver when the trailer is up?
    Yeah, it gets pretty loud when the ass end of your truck gets torn off by an interstate overpass.

Dumps are designed to be rolled while you're unloading, you can't even empty the bed without rolling forward. It's not an overly complicated system, because most of us aren't exactly scholars. Unfortunately, this shit happens all the time

I'm no expert but wouldn't the truck handle differently (esp. at highway speeds) with the trailer part up?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Collateral damage.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I'm no expert but wouldn't the truck handle differently (esp. at highway speeds) with the trailer part up?
    It would have to. Just shows how oblivious the driver was.

A long bed dump doesn't exactly drive like a sports car. I haven't taken one on the freeway with the bed up, but you're typically not zipping around corners, loaded or empty. On a windy road, you'd notice, or you'd tip it. But pulling out of a site in 1st and driving in a straight line, apparently not enough of a difference.

Or impaired maybe.

Shit that annoys you

Do you mean AOs?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Or impaired maybe.
    I don't know what you're talking about, industry wide, truck drivers have an exemplary record of driving while impaired. Like, they're really good at it.

Yeah, it gets pretty loud when the ass end of your truck gets torn off by an interstate overpass.

Dumps are designed to be rolled while you're unloading, you can't even empty the bed without rolling forward. It's not an overly complicated system, because most of us aren't exactly scholars. Unfortunately, this shit happens all the time
    That same move happened around here a few years back, the interstate was the overpass and it resulted in a lane closure for at least a year before they fixed it. Seems like some sort of mechanical interlock on those would be possible, like, Can't shift out of 1st with the dumper up? Doesn't feel like a hard problem to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    That same move happened around here a few years back, the interstate was the overpass and it resulted in a lane closure for at least a year before they fixed it. Seems like some sort of mechanical interlock on those would be possible, like, Can't shift out of 1st with the dumper up? Doesn't feel like a hard problem to solve.
    There's plenty of safety features on new trucks that would eliminate that. But there's tons of old trucks on the road because new ones are insanely expensive because of those safety features. Plenty of guys that won't run a truck built after 09 because of DEF; even more that run older trucks so they don't have to run ELDs. Fucking acronyms. Electronic logs.

That's not a hard problem to unsolve, either. For every safety feature, there's some idiot who's managed to eliminate it or work around it. When I was framing, I told a guy I wouldn't work with him until he unpinned the guard on his saw. He was lighting me up, calling me a pussy, saying I didn't know shit. Dude had one thumb, guess why. We are our own worst enemy.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the physics of it. The driver was not traveling at a slow rate of speed. Or that bridge was poorly constructed. The scary answer is both A and B. :0

"The driver reportedly survived the crash, but it's unclear why the back trailer was up, GDOT said."

Because he wasn't paying the fuck attention. As a trucker, this drives me insane. All the regulations that cap our potential earnings and make OTR work miserable, we have done to ourselves, either by negligence, arrogance, or allowing our employers to commit us to unsafe and untenable work conditions. And any moron with a toy hauler/boat/shit pile on wheels can haul any combination of vehicles up to 70' in length with a standard DL. It's a god damn miracle you can see the white and yellow lines through the blood. I swear the only thing keeping humans alive on the road is dumb luck.

Everyone, every single person who has ever operated a vehicle, has made a mistake on the road. Fortunately the vast majority of those mistakes don't involve shifting an entire overpass off its moorings. Be safe out there people.
    Why so sanguine?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Why so sanguine?
    Because I'm one of a handful of CDL drivers who have a large enough vocabulary to not have to google sanguine?

Sorry, dying in a car wreck is probably my greatest fear. And you see a lot more from a large vehicle than a passenger vehicle; people doing all sorts of dangerous shit on the road. It's hard not to get dragged down by it. As with anything; the more you research something, the worse the outlook becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Attachment 379641

We have an entire webpage for acronym defintions! It's sadly my most used reference document!
    Apparently your company doesn't know what an acronym is, because there isn't even one on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Apparently your company doesn't know what an acronym is, because there isn't even one on that page.
    lol...im so brainwashed that i actually forgot that an acronym has to be pronounced as a word.

To be fair, that's only the A page. I'm sure there are some farther down the alphabet.

I was looking forward to a few fastfred posts today. Fucking nothing.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

FUBAR

I annoy myself. Sprinkler system apparently has 3 programmable modes. I had set 1 mode for 4am watering several weeks ago. Then decided to change it to 5am so I could monitor it when I'm awake. I somehow set two different programs and it's been watering twice as often without me knowing.

Had a few drinks after dinner last night. Woke at 4am and hear the sprinklers. Add me to the alcohol and bad sleep club (which is also annoying).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have this idea.
    Side view mirrors on trucks so you can see the bed is down.

I’ll post the Kickstarter link
    . . .

Shit that annoys you

Coming 90 miles home from UCSF hospital yesterday was a 5 hour, many stop, bumper to bumper drive.

I was painfully reminded why I hate going into the City.

How do people do that every day?

I am currently quite annoyed trying to sleep while laying on the row of staples.

More drugs.
    Last edited by powdrhound; 07-17-2021 at 07:18 AM.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime