Page 1373 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 ... LastLast
Results 34,301 to 34,325 of 46279
    We follow the FRB holiday schedule. Otherwise we hem and haw over every damn holiday.

https://www.frbservices.org/about/holiday-schedules
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Hm. I was under the impression that prior authorization has to do with whether insurance will cover the medication.
    I was under the impression that "prior authorization" is code for "we have no fokin clue what that Dr. -wrote/was thinking when he wrote- whatever is on this Rx"

I hear the ring of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    They had like 7 kids
    That must have been annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

People who use electric lawn tools.. sorry, I just don't get it. You can't mix gas and oil? You think you're better than me because your energy usage is "cleaner" Learn to adjust a carb and grow a pair.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

See my reply.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Apparently boxing day is only a holiday in Ontario so I left it off the list.

I get friday and monday off at easter - it's nice. There's a push to make Nov 11 remembrance day a national holiday as well but I don't really care because any day in November anywhere in Canada sucks ass. We need an early June Veteran Memorial Honor Day or something like that instead.
    We always got Boxing day off everywhere I worked in BC and Alberta. In fact, can't recall ever hearing about anyone who didn't get it off. Except of course poor bastards working retail.... Winter in Socal is the reason I loved getting MLK and Prez day off - great weather in the desert. Same for 4 days off at Thanksgiving. Winter here is my favorite season.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Many companies do, but it's certainly no given. I sort of like the system my company uses. We get Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, and the two days at Thanksgiving, but the entire week between Christmas and New Year's. From New Year's to Memorial Day is a long haul, but that's what vacation time is for...
    At my last company we used to have a similar arrangement - whole week from Christmas to New Years off, plus the few other days you mention. Having that week off was awesome since I'd always travel home anyways. Having fewer other holiday days was a fair tradeoff. When we were acquired the first thing that got taken away was that week off, with nothing added to compensate. Boy were people pissed. Eventually management turnover brought some common sense and a realization that if you want to hire and retain good people you have to have good policies.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    People who use electric lawn tools.. sorry, I just don't get it. You can't mix gas and oil? You think you're better than me because your energy usage is "cleaner" Learn to adjust a carb and grow a pair.

Is this a joke? I honestly can’t tell around here during summer sometimes

I dunno, my neighbor's electric lawnmower is pretty cool. He can neglect his lawn for a month and then mulch it when it's a foot high and that thing just tears it up.

No way my old Honda is going to pull that off. Also I've never had to adjust the carb but the crankshaft seal blew out once and baptized my lawn in 10w30.

The biggest downside had to be the cord.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I dunno, my neighbor's electric lawnmower is pretty cool. He can neglect his lawn for a month and then mulch it when it's a foot high and that thing just tears it up.
    Not to mention he doesn't have to worry about forgetting to fill up his gas can.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    The biggest downside had to be the cord.
    80v batteries.

The smell of newly mown grass is So much better than gasoline exhaust.

So this goes a ways beyond being annoyed. The pandemic really jumped people moving to my neighborhood and driving up home prices. The city has done a recent evaluation and my home value has increased 67% from last year. They expect the mill rate to go down, but still looking at a fifty percent tax increase myself and six closest neighbors have all lived here thirty years or more. So the folks who made the neighborhood desirable will be forced to leave. Started the process with city hall, but not expecting much

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    So this goes a ways beyond being annoyed. The pandemic really jumped people moving to my neighborhood and driving up home prices. The city has done a recent evaluation and my home value has increased 67% from last year. They expect the mill rate to go down, but still looking at a fifty percent tax increase myself and six closest neighbors have all lived here thirty years or more. So the folks who made the neighborhood desirable will be forced to leave. Started the process with city hall, but not expecting much
    This happened in my town last year, go contest the new assessment I know several people who did and the assessor was using incorrect square footage and didn't have the number of rooms right. Most of them got their assessments reduced, I was too lazy and saw about a 35-40% increase in my taxes. Sucks, but at least I have a lot of equity now?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Well, in fairness, a former neighbor ran over one of her kids when backing out of the garage. Put him in a wheelchair for life.
    They had like 7 kids and she lost track of all their positions.
    This was before back up alarms and cameras on Suburbans.
    Guy runs over his 18 month old with his Mercedes. Kid comes to the ER with tires marks on his abdomen. The only thing wrong with the kid turned out to be the incision at his ankle where I put the IV in--got infected.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I thought Boxing day was a stat holiday? I always got that off.

US gets Black Friday off otherwise people get similar days to the first list. Companies I've worked for down here did not give any day off over Easter.

Some other days people can get off -
    Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in Jan)
    President's Day (3rd Monday in Feb)
    Veterans Day (Nov 11)

Last company I worked for only had 7 stat holidays. Later they added Presidents Day and also gave us two flexible holiday days we could use on any holiday that mattered to us. I thought that was a cool idea.
    We used to get MLK day off but had to use a vacation day for it.

See California Prop 13

It's getting close to July 4th. I'm gonna miss the TGR pictorial update on the fireworks at Flowing Lake again.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Praxis Rx…..

Now if/when the bubble bursts and we start seeing a decrease in real market home values, it will be interesting to see if the appraisers will be as quick to DECREASE your appraised values as they were to increase them.
    SPOILER ALERT: They won't.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Now if/when the bubble bursts and we start seeing a decrease in real market home values, it will be interesting to see if the appraisers will be as quick to DECREASE your appraised values as they were to increase them.
    SPOILER ALERT: They won't.
    Ours did. I'm not sure why you think that they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Ours did. I'm not sure why you think that they won't.
    Was that back around '08 or something? Since then, municipal budgets have skyrocketed as they've jumped on the chance to take advantage of this market's tax revenue gravy train. They're gonna have a REALLY hard time trying to walk some of these budgets back when the markets correct. I mean, good for you and all, but this is what happened in my area after the last market crash. They're quick to raise numbers to fund blown out budgets, but hesitate to lower them in the same fashion.

Was that back around '08 or something? Since then, municipal budgets have skyrocketed as they've jumped on the chance to take advantage of this market's tax revenue gravy train. They're gonna have a REALLY hard time trying to walk some of these budgets back when the markets correct. I mean, good for you and all, but this is what happened in my area after the last market crash. They're quick to raise numbers to fund blown out budgets, but hesitate to lower them in the same fashion.
    This probably belongs in the Real Estate Crash thread. But, since we’re here…

I’m not sure about your municipality, but in mine, the appraised values are not linked to the budget amount or how much “they” spend. The budget is determined based on projected spending. The tax rate is determined by the total annual budget divided by the total of all assessed values in the municipality. A property owner’s share of the taxes is just the assessed value times the tax rate.

If your appraised value is higher than you think it should be, you should take that up with the town assessor.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

My assessment decreased in all the following years: 2003, 2007, 2011, 2013, and 2017.

But you keep fucking that chicken.

My assessment decreased in all the following years: 2003, 2007, 2011, 2013, and 2017.

But you keep fucking that chicken.
    Well, you live in a van down by the river. You expect that shit to go up?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Well, you live in a van down by the river. You expect that shit to go up?
    Overall it has gone up quite nicely, thank you... over time. But it's a pretty nice van. Next to a pretty nice river.

My point was assessors aren't universally a bunch of money-grubbing twats. Although the ones where Montucky lives apparently are.

Either that or he's blathering his usual nonsensical narrative.

My point was assessors aren't universally a bunch of money-grubbing twats. Although the ones where Montucky lives apparently are.
    Oh, they are indeed. Back in MT, our assessors never screwed with us, despite rising home values. The increases were fair and incremental. In my new house, they've been going for the max allowed by state law every single year. I've been having to protest my taxes and go in for formal hearings every freaking year to prove to them why my home's actually not worth what they keep trying to tell me it is. Upon talking to an actual appraiser, they always agree with MY assessments of the values upon providing the evidence, but then each new year, I have to fight that battle all over again. At the same time, the local schools and city keeps blowing out budgets on complete horseshit fancy projects. It's no coincidence. Very corrupt local politics, but such is par for the course in almost every major city in America, so it's to be expected.

WTF? Really?
    I like my battery powered tools because:
    1) I don't have to run to the gas station *and* worry about spilling gas in the trunk/back-seat when driving back from the gas station. (Oh, I guess that's two reasons.)
    2) I don't have to smell like gas/oil fumes for the rest of the day, or go change clothes and take a shower.
    3) I don't have to worry about spilling gas on me, my hands or pants and then small like raw gas.
    4) I just want to do a quick job, blow off the sidewalk etc. No having to start the POS gas tool, just pop the battery one out and it's done.
    5) (Chainsaw specific) Small limbs are quick to do. And if I need to set the saw down, I don't have to listen to it the whole time I'm doing something else, or worry about starting it again after.
    6) Noise! Yeah, just whacking weeds, or blowing leaves etc, makes some noise, but the engine of gas tools is way more noise!

I could probably come up with a dozen other reasons, and still not get to any "environmental" reasons.
    Sure, I've got some gas powered tools still - but the battery ones are SO MUCH BETTER, SO MUCH EASIER. I'm totally glad I switched. I've still got the gas ones sitting there - thought I might still use them for something.

It's been more than a year, and other than a major tree removal where I used both, I've not touched any gas tool that I have a battery version for...

Perhaps you like that raw gas smell, and all the other sucky things that come with gas tools - are you a barbarian or something? Sheesh.