Page 1283 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 ... LastLast
Results 32,051 to 32,075 of 46293
    When you buy a loaf of bakery bread, why do they put that dusting of flour on the top? A few days later it’s hard to tell if that’s mold or flour.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    When you buy a loaf of bakery bread, why do they put that dusting of flour on the top? A few days later it’s hard to tell if that’s mold or flour.
    Yes. Plus it makes it taste worse.

Maybe it's so you can tell whether any vermin have walked across it

Because it looks cool?
    If you buy bakery bread you need to eat it before mold has a chance. It's only good for 2 days IMO.

Dantheman, and the artist formerly known as iceman told me to stop eating so much bread.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Because it looks cool?
    If you buy bakery bread you need to eat it before mold has a chance. It's only good for 2 days IMO.
    Even two days is a stretch.

"Yeah, they're day-olds. The homeless won't even touch them. Oh, we try to fool them by putting a few fresh ones on top, but they dig...they, they test."

Dantheman, and the artist formerly known as iceman told me to stop eating so much bread.
    Well, I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's healthy, but if you've bought the loaf eat that shit while it's actually good.

What kind of humid hellhole do you all live in that bread would have a chance to get moldy in 2 days?? In UT bread gets visibly drier and turns into a brick within 12 hours of purchase, you have to keep it in the humidor with the cigars! Just it eat faster, a baguette a day keeps the doctor at bay...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it's healthy,
    How DARE you! Bread and cheese are the 2 things that sustain life in my world.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Just pick your spots. I'll eat good sourdough when I'm out but don't buy loaves. Often.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    What kind of humid hellhole do you all live in that bread would have a chance to get moldy in 2 days??
    I've seen bread mold in 3 but never 2 days. I live in VT.

My sister is a wonderful chef and baker currently runs a fantastic bakery that does old-world European style breads and would laugh at your 2 days and toss M.O.

Bread keeps incredibly long in the fridge and freezer and is ridiculously easy to "bring back" in the oven.

I buy quality bread but don't eat a ton and a loaf of very good sourdough will last a couple weeks for me in the fridge.
    I still call it The Jake.

I don’t usually eat much bread but on my first visit last year to France I sure did. It’s kind of awesome there, the frogs have it going on about bread. Two factoids: they have a saying about something that’s sorely missed, “It’s like a day without bread.” And there’s a law (might be only in Paris) that every day every district/arrondissement has to have least one bakery open. A fresh loaf every day seemed to be expected. Side note, the butter there is superb as well.

Back home a boule of sourdough lasts me about a week. A baguette, maybe a day.

What kind of humid hellhole do you all live in that bread would have a chance to get moldy in 2 days??
    VT is moist AF. Everything molds there
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    My sister is a wonderful chef and baker currently runs a fantastic bakery that does old-world European style breads and would laugh at your 2 days and toss M.O.

Bread keeps incredibly long in the fridge and freezer and is ridiculously easy to "bring back" in the oven.

I buy quality bread but don't eat a ton and a loaf of very good sourdough will last a couple weeks for me in the fridge.
    Freezer for sure. No room in my freezer. I make sourdough batards. Eat a piece or two with butter, the rest is for sandwiches. It keeps for 2 days with the cut end down, no wrapping. Then I wrap in plastic wrap--I loose the crunchiness but it's fine for sandwiches.

Was watching an old Julia Child today--she had a French woman on who said you have to knead the bread 800-850 times. She didn't dust it with flour.
    We were in a village in the Loire Valley and went to the bakery to get bread for lunch. There were two bakeries open. One was empty, one had a line out the door. We went to the one with the line. They had a bread vending machine built into the wall next to the door for when they were closed.

Mmmmmm Moist!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Don't click on the "Update Flash" popup! It's fake and contains a bad virus apparently. Adobe is ending Flash support next month, best to just uninstall it, go to adobe.com for instructions.
    I haven't seen that one, but a couple times while viewing this site the TGR window would disappear and get a new window saying "your McAfree virus protection has expired" or something like that. Anyone else get that?

Teh TRGz unable to keep PolyAss in PolyAss. We have a whole subforum for that drivel. We don't need it elsewhere, mmkay?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I don’t usually eat much bread but on my first visit last year to France I sure did. It’s kind of awesome there, the frogs have it going on about bread. Two factoids: they have a saying about something that’s sorely missed, “It’s like a day without bread.” And there’s a law (might be only in Paris) that every day every district/arrondissement has to have least one bakery open. A fresh loaf every day seemed to be expected. Side note, the butter there is superb as well.

Back home a boule of sourdough lasts me about a week. A baguette, maybe a day.
    Bread is a life blood in France. Bread + butter is the go-to snack.
    It's the one thing I still can't get over after having lived in the US for 15 years. I've come to terms with the lack of good cheese and found some decent substitutes here and there, especially now that the stigma around raw milk stuff is disappearing. I cook a fair bit and have no complaints about access to quality and varied ingredients. Overall, I'd say it's easy to find great good in the US, I certainly wasn't doing a whole lot better in France (maybe quality was a bit higher but not much). The bread though? Nah, still not in the same league. I've had the occasional good bread here and Ms Boissal can bake a mean loaf but the lack of consistent access to cheap delicious bread is slaying me. When I lived back home I was eating a baguette a day no matter what, I would snag it from a boulangerie on my way back form work and it would be gone by the end of breakfast the next day. When I'm at my parents these days I get a kick out of the bread ritual, a key part of the day when my dad peeks in the bread box then strategizes with my mom about how many baguettes will be needed depending on who's home for dinner & breakfast. I my sister and I are around with our SOs it's usually a 3 baguette haul. We eat the stuff reflexively, it's just SO GOOD.

Sigh... Lack of bread annoys the shit out of me.

EDIT: the actual saying about a day without bread is "long comme un jour sans pain" which is used to mean something endlessly boring or painful. As long as a day without bread.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I always looked at diet orange soda and thought, who drinks diet orange soda?
    Now you know

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Add me and most of the Americans to this annoyed list. Can we just pick DST or not, and go with it? Maybe we just go with DST and keep it around next year. Like mentioned, 430 and dark is super fucking stupid. Who gives a shit if it's light out at 6am or whenever? Dark that early when we roll the clocks back is dumb.
    Lots of people like light in the morning Karen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bread is a life blood in France. Bread + butter is the go-to snack.
    It's the one thing I still can't get over after having lived in the US for 15 years. I've come to terms with the lack of good cheese and found some decent substitutes here and there, especially now that the stigma around raw milk stuff is disappearing. I cook a fair bit and have no complaints about access to quality and varied ingredients. Overall, I'd say it's easy to find great good in the US, I certainly wasn't doing a whole lot better in France (maybe quality was a bit higher but not much). The bread though? Nah, still not in the same league. I've had the occasional good bread here and Ms Boissal can bake a mean loaf but the lack of consistent access to cheap delicious bread is slaying me. When I lived back home I was eating a baguette a day no matter what, I would snag it from a boulangerie on my way back form work and it would be gone by the end of breakfast the next day. When I'm at my parents these days I get a kick out of the bread ritual, a key part of the day when my dad peeks in the bread box then strategizes with my mom about how many baguettes will be needed depending on who's home for dinner & breakfast. I my sister and I are around with our SOs it's usually a 3 baguette haul. We eat the stuff reflexively, it's just SO GOOD.

Sigh... Lack of bread annoys the shit out of me.

EDIT: the actual saying about a day without bread is "long comme un jour sans pain" which is used to mean something endlessly boring or painful. As long as a day without bread.
    The US isn't the problem, it is Utah. Bread is terrible here. Glad my friends from Oregon ship bread to me as a gift.

How DARE you! Bread and cheese are the 2 things that sustain life in my world.
    I'd never dare tell a Frenchman not to eat bread. For everyone else, I'm a celiac that wants to drag everyone else into my own miserable existence.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

I mostly just wanted to pull out that Kramer quote. Though, panzanella and bread pudding exist for a reason.

<snip> I'm a celiac that wants to drag everyone else into my own miserable existence.
    Dude. My condolences. That's awful. <munches on fresh sourdough ciabatta toast with jam>

Though, panzanella and bread pudding exist for a reason.
    Mmmmm... now I'm hungry for panzanella. Made this when tomatoes were going off the hook this summer:

https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2...zanella-salad/

^^^Nice.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Teh TRGz unable to keep PolyAss in PolyAss. We have a whole subforum for that drivel. We don't need it elsewhere, mmkay?
    This. I am dealing with enough shit as it is, I don't need to be blindsided by asshattery while I'm just hear looking for an argument on the merits mtn bike pants to help me feel normal for a bit.

I'd never dare tell a Frenchman not to eat bread. For everyone else, I'm a celiac that wants to drag everyone else into my own miserable existence.
    What skaredshtles said, sorry to hear, that's a huge bummer, and for more reasons than just missing out on bread.

Utagonian, do tell me about your OR friends. I think it's time for a bread delivery service app, that's probably one of the few things that hasn't been done on that front yet.