Page 1248 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 ... LastLast
Results 31,176 to 31,200 of 46293

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    It's easy enough to make it a matter of when, not if you will get your phone spoofed. It's not that hard to think that when we get into a war with China, they or one of their allies will do this to all of our bank accounts. Or as a precursor to a war. It would be a fruitful exercise for a state actor.
    Spoofing is not the same as hijacking. Spoofing is trivial. Hijacking is not.

A state actor is going to hi jack ALL of our phones, and then pair those with login credentials that they’ve also somehow stolen, en masse? I mean, maybe? There’s probably lower hanging fruit, though.

The fact remains that some form of MFA should be the minimum level of security for any information or access that is truly sensitive. I agree that token based authentication > SMS based authentication. The implication that “you can get past it anyways, so there’s no point” is absurd.

Also, a pox on your IT for not broadly implementing SSO wherever possible.
    focus.

reCaptcha not working on my laptop is annoying. It does seem to work if I switch from Chrome to Edge or use my cell phone. I've tried googling solutions but haven't found one that works. Seems to be a common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Spoofing is not the same as hijacking. Spoofing is trivial. Hijacking is not.

A state actor is going to hi jack ALL of our phones, and then pair those with login credentials that they’ve also somehow stolen, en masse? I mean, maybe? There’s probably lower hanging fruit, though.

The fact remains that some form of MFA should be the minimum level of security for any information or access that is truly sensitive. I agree that token based authentication > SMS based authentication. The implication that “you can get past it anyways, so there’s no point” is absurd.

Also, a pox on your IT for not broadly implementing SSO wherever possible.
    If you can spare a few division strength outfits and have low food costs, then it's not completely out of the question to devote bodies to working the problem, assisted with AI. And yes, there are other cyber targets, but this one can be used to get an internationally accepted currency. NK is a prime example of a state that would benefit highly from exploiting this, and other things.

We need to push corporations to stop being cheap and lazy and have them move away from SMS. Some offer alternatives to it, most don't.

Passwords.

I finally worked to come up with an algorithm for passwords that is long, has a mix of all the things good passwords are supposed to have, and isn't the same for every site. Today I went to set up a password for my new health insurance, and they limit passwords to 12 characters, so my algorithm doesn't work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Passwords.

I finally worked to come up with an algorithm for passwords that is long, has a mix of all the things good passwords are supposed to have, and isn't the same for every site. Today I went to set up a password for my new health insurance, and they limit passwords to 12 characters, so my algorithm doesn't work.
    12characters

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    12characters
    Needs capital letter and symbol

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Passwords.

Lol..that is worst....so true. My school portal password has the feature that password changes need to be every 30 days.....good times. The whole purpose of password is so u can remember it....but you have to change it all the time....so you end up writing it down somewhere so anybody can search around in my desk and find my post it notes of passwords....lol

Here's something else that annoys me. Yeah, I'll yell and shake my fist at the clouds too.

People that go to live music that can't shut the fuck up. If you wanted to flap your lips and yap about crap with your friends and family, stay the fuck home and do that instead of paying for a ticket and ruining the live music with everyone else hearing about your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Lol..that is worst....so true. My school portal password has the feature that password changes need to be every 30 days.....good times. The whole purpose of password is so u can remember it....but you have to change it all the time....so you end up writing it down somewhere so anybody can search around in my desk and find my post it notes of passwords....lol
    My job has an insane number of passwords. Many have expirations, though some do not. The ones with expirations have different cycles, so one expires every 3 months, another every 30 days, etc. It's maddening and they offer no help, but every year we have mandated cyber security training and they hammer us on password security. They used to not even offer a password manager program, now they do but they don't promote it or offer training on it, just a "here you go since you asked" sort of thing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Article in ars technica about a huge interception of hacking techniques and data from Iran today.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...cepted-videos/

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Here's something else that annoys me. Yeah, I'll yell and shake my fist at the clouds too.

People that go to live music that can't shut the fuck up. If you wanted to flap your lips and yap about crap with your friends and family, stay the fuck home and do that instead of paying for a ticket and ruining the live music with everyone else hearing about your issues.
    What's live music????
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Shit that annoys you

My job has an insane number of passwords. Many have expirations, though some do not. The ones with expirations have different cycles, so one expires every 3 months, another every 30 days, etc. It's maddening and they offer no help, but every year we have mandated cyber security training and they hammer us on password security. They used to not even offer a password manager program, now they do but they don't promote it or offer training on it, just a "here you go since you asked" sort of thing.
    Password manager FTW. Password algorithm FTL.

Shitty that they don’t promote or train on the password manager. I have an insane number of passwords too, but I don’t know any of them. They’re all randomly generated and saved by my password manager, which integrates with active directory for centralized management across the org. None of that is hard or expensive, you just have to care a little bit.

Also, max characters in a password speaks to some really poor (read: insecure) practices behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 07-17-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    focus.

The rooster that a neighbor has and crows every 10 minutes all day long is annoying. If the owner wasn't such a peasant and pretty young single mom message therapist, I'd have half a mind to go over and talk to her about it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    The rooster that a neighbor has and crows every 10 minutes all day long is annoying. If the owner wasn't such a peasant and pretty young single mom message therapist, I'd have half a mind to go over and talk to her about it.
    Sounds like you should definitely go over there and tell her a thing or two about how she takes care of her cocks.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post

I once saw Steve Earle heckle a guy and have him kicked out of the venue.

“am I bothering you up here, man?”
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Machine down call at 3:00 on a Friday.

I do have to say, one of the better ass chewing's I have had for a while. He was good at the end, finally broke a laugh when I asked him to climb out of my ass so I can get a service guy on site.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Machine down call at 3:00 on a Friday.

I do have to say, one of the better ass chewing's I have had for a while. He was good at the end, finally broke a laugh when I asked him to climb out of my ass so I can get a service guy on site.
    Oh ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Password manager FTW. Password algorithm FTL.

Shitty that they don’t promote or train on the password manager. I have an insane number of passwords too, but I don’t know any of them. They’re all randomly generated and saved by my password manager, which integrates with active directory for centralized management across the org. None of that is hard or expensive, you just have to care a little bit.

Also, max characters in a password speaks to some really poor (read: insecure) practices behind the scenes.
    A few related points on my end. I personally use 1Password and think it is great.

I had the “local web page” version installed on my work computer that allowed me to access a local version of my password vault. No executable and no external/offsite access. The html file got flagged as a security violation and I was forced to remove it. Oh well, back to writing down my passwords on a post-it note.

Speaking of work, my main network/active directory password has to be 8 characters exactly and must contain 1 AND ONLY number.

Back to 1Password... I have it set up for my entire family. Today, I spent about 90 minutes cleaning up my wife’s passwords and consolidating all of her duplicates across Chrome, Apple Keychain and 1Password into 1P. In some instances, she had different logins/passwords across all three password managers. In others, she had multiple entries for the same login (with different passwords!) within the same password manager! I had to bite this bullet because she kept claiming her 1password didn’t work.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Three new buzz words that are super annoying

Reveal
    Reaction
    Catch your attention

New Mexican drivers trigger me. They truly become dumber and dangerous behind the wheel.

Thinking you owned one of your all time favorite movies, going to check it out, and realizing that woops. You don't have it after all. Not sure how I let this one slip through my fingers! Only $9 for the blu-ray so ordering now, but annoyed that out of about the 2000+ movies that I have, discs backed up on my home media server AND catalogued, I somehow didn't have THAT particular one. (Weird Al's U.H.F. for what it's worth)

Heh. Wheel of fish. Heh. Spatula City.

The overall state of journalistic media has dropped but one thing that's a gripe for me is all the misspellings and overall lack of proofreading in stories. I just saw this on CNN's website, in a headline, and I wonder how some of these people get their jobs. This is a basic rule of spelling fully missed.

Name:  CNN Spell Check.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  36.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Thinking you owned one of your all time favorite movies, going to check it out, and realizing that woops. You don't have it after all. Not sure how I let this one slip through my fingers! Only $9 for the blu-ray so ordering now, but annoyed that out of about the 2000+ movies that I have, discs backed up on my home media server AND catalogued, I somehow didn't have THAT particular one. (Weird Al's U.H.F. for what it's worth)

Doctors that went to medical school at Chicken Little University.

I saw a nephrologist today (I have a long history of nocturnal polyuria, there's a thread in GC about it). They did a pre-visit blood draw on me last week and my creatinine was 2.8. Dude ignored my long medical history of normal creatinine levels, higher-than-average muscle mass, and my personal report that I still had DOMS from lifting the day before the blood draw (the latter two are well known to raise creatinine, no one told me not to exercise the day before) and was freaking out that I had acute renal failure. Ordered more blood work and an ultrasound of my kidneys on the spot, both of which to turned out to be (shockingly) totally normal.