Page 1170 of 1849 FirstFirst ... 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 ... LastLast
Results 29,226 to 29,250 of 46225
    Ms Boissal and I made the mistake of flying to Europe on Delta Basic Eco last year. We used to fly direct to CDG and hang out with my sister for a couple days but she finally saw the light and moved back to a place with mountains. This time we had to fly to GVA and went through AMS. On the way there we had no issues, online checking, free checked luggage through AMEX, and assigned seats which happened to be next to each other in the back (IMO better if you want to be up and walking around a lot).

The return flights were operated by KLM in partnership with Delta. I missed some fine print about basic economy that basically says you don't get any checked luggage on international flights and the AMEX benefits don't apply to partner airlines. $120 of checked luggage later the cost was the same as regular Eco.

Lesson fucking learned, next time I'm flying peasant class instead of sub-peasant class. And I'm hanging out in the back the entire night where there's apparently an opened bar for snacks and beverages.

All of this pales in comparison to the modern day steerage class that is Spirit.

I got dragged onto one of their flying death tubes for a bachelor party one year. Ryanair was more pleasant.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I recall being given seats with a saver fair if I’m not mistaken, but I probably am.

I took a flight to LA with my family (wife and two little girls) pretty recently. I thought I used the saver seats and managed to snag one full row and then the seat across the aisle. One girl next to window, me in middle, little girl on aisle and wife across aisle. Just before boarding my seat gets upgraded to FC. Naturally I ask the wife if she wants to head up there and I’ll take one for team. Wouldn’t want to relive the famous 2017 upgrade debacle. She declines and we all decide we want to travel together in our original seats.

So I sit in the middle seat and wait for the person who now has it to arrive to offer them first class. Some unkempt dude comes down the aisle, gives me a curt and annoyed “that’s my seat” to which I reply, “hey man, want to take my FC seat so I can sit with my family?” I’m not shitting you, the guy says “No.” Flat out.

In other words, he wants to sit in a middle seat in the back of the plane between two little girls. He wasn’t traveling with anyone else.

After asking the guy if he was serious, and him again saying he was, I explained to the FA that I would prefer to sit with my family and she told me that each passenger had the right to sit in their assigned seat, which makes conceptual sense, if they do choose. Of course it was AA that changed my seat without asking but I can see why they thought that was a solid move. I told her that if AA can require me to change my seat to FC, why can’t they likewise require this dude to change his seat to FC. I knew that argument was going nowhere and felt like I was taking disco biscuits having this stupid conversation.

I then asked the dude if he would take the aisle seat, my wife would go to FC and I would stay where I was. No dice. Holy shit.

I guess the guy just wanted to watch me squirm because right when I was seemingly out of options, he sighed and acquiesced, like I had just tortured him.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

never fear, my brother.... Ol’ Chuck Shumer gots yer back.

https://www.schumer.senate.gov/newsr...t-people-more-

I only fly if they let me be the pilot.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, then, fuck United in the ass with a rusty spoon, because they're making it exceedingly difficult to save a few bucks.
    dammit, I had forgotten about this special little United FU. I did a basic economy this fall when making a 36 hour visit to see my ailing dad. I knew were weren't going to do anything more vigorous than sitting around watching football because of a combination of the time of year and his physical status, so I didn't need even a bag for the overhead and booked the "super" economy fare. I encountered this BS when leaving the BFE airport at 6 a.m. in the morning. There were a bunch of inexperienced flyers in the line that I had to get in to prove to the counter that I didn't have a checked bag, and it took forever.

It's just one more way to haze you to try to force you to "upgrade".

I just bought a flight to EGE in January and had the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    dammit, I had forgotten about this special little United FU. I did a basic economy this fall when making a 36 hour visit to see my ailing dad. I knew were weren't going to do anything more vigorous than sitting around watching football because of a combination of the time of year and his physical status, so I didn't need even a bag for the overhead and booked the "super" economy fare. I encountered this BS when leaving the BFE airport at 6 a.m. in the morning. There were a bunch of inexperienced flyers in the line that I had to get in to prove to the counter that I didn't have a checked bag, and it took forever.

It's just one more way to haze you to try to force you to "upgrade".

I just bought a flight to EGE in January and had the same issue.
    Yeah, my visit is a short one to see my ailing dad, so similar in reason and in lack of need for stuff. Super annoyed that I am going to get fucked waiting to check in, but nothing I can do about it now.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, my visit is a short one to see my ailing dad, so similar in reason and in lack of need for stuff. Super annoyed that I am going to get fucked waiting to check in, but nothing I can do about it now.
    All you can do is get in the mood.

Idiot woman driving through town 10 mph with chains on, last snow 5 days ago, raining lately, roads clear for days.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Idiot woman driving through town 10 mph with chains on, last snow 5 days ago, raining lately, roads clear for days.
    GSA’s lady?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    And here I thought my situation was bad last week when the G4 didn't have a corkscrew so I was sitting at 38,000 ft with a bottle of Chateau Margaux '95 and no way to open it.
    Sounds like it's time to fire your crew. That's bullshit.

Sorta date tonight cancelled because she's stuck in another state.
    Good thing I'm still at work so it doesn't matter

I will never fly on United ever again. Fucking hate their bullshit.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Jeff Goldblum...

Reading this shit about united after booking...fuck

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledbacon View Post
    Reading this shit about united after booking...fuck
    Hack it as best you can. All bags cost money with their cheap fair, but I think checked bags are actually a little cheaper (at least not more) so brings huge suitcase for the same price and make your significant other happy. Or carry beer back. Or whatever.

Get there early at the kiosk. See it that helps with seat. Ask about seat at gate desk. I’ve had some luck with that. Also you can sometime pay at gate for a nicer seat.

Make the best of it. But those cheap seats can get pricier quick.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Jeff Goldblum...
    Blasphemy! What's your beef with Goldblum?

Flew United on the economy rate recently. Went fine, but didn't need to check or carry on a bag. Its sort of alacart now, just have to figure in the checked bag fees to see if it is worth flying with someone else.

The desk check in thing is annoying as shit though. Not a big deal at smaller airports but wouldnt want to deal with that at DIA.

Actually annoying is my B60 boarding position on Southwest right now. That's what I get for being cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Flew United on the economy rate recently. Went fine, but didn't need to check or carry on a bag. Its sort of alacart now, just have to figure in the checked bag fees to see if it is worth flying with someone else.

The desk check in thing is annoying as shit though. Not a big deal at smaller airports but wouldnt want to deal with that at DIA.
    I was at a small airport this fall and it was effing horrible. They only had one person working the check in and most of the passengers seem to have not flown in the past 20 years so it was slow as shit. Of course, on the flipside, my walk to the gate after they finally patted me down for a hidden overhead bag and gave me a boarding pass was only about 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I will never fly on United ever again. Fucking hate their bullshit.
    QFT. United sucks BALLS.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I was at a small airport this fall and it was effing horrible. They only had one person working the check in and most of the passengers seem to have not flown in the past 20 years so it was slow as shit.
    Wife and I had a flight cancel in Bergen, Norway last summer so everyone had to queue up to get a voucher for a hotel. Single agent working the window. Luckily we got in line fairly early, but it still took a long time. The strange thing is we get up to the front and show the guy our boarding passes and he gives us the hotel voucher immediately. We asked him if he knew when the flight would be rescheduled and he said to check for emails or texts. That's it. We were probably at the window for one minute total. Still can't understand why it took that long if that was the only thing he had to do for each person in line.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    goddam it!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Putting T-shirts on backwards nearly every time. I’ve become T-shirt dyslexic

Still can't understand why it took that long if that was the only thing he had to do for each person in line.
    Me neither. Checking in our Chicago hotel for Thanksgiving at around 11:30 PM. 10 people in line, so WTF? Turns out it was all the flight cancellations, so all had vouchers. After 15 minutes or so somebody else came out from behind the desk and asked if anyone didn't have vouchers come over to his line. I went up, said my name and he asked how many keys I needed. I overheard in the other line a lot of "breakfast from 6-10, do you want a free water?", etc. There also seemed to be a shit ton of paperwork.
    My daughter in the industry said it's a huge headache, that other hotels were prolly booked, and that these were comped, and there probably was a reciprocation involved.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Wife and I had a flight cancel in Bergen, Norway last summer so everyone had to queue up to get a voucher for a hotel. Single agent working the window. Luckily we got in line fairly early, but it still took a long time. The strange thing is we get up to the front and show the guy our boarding passes and he gives us the hotel voucher immediately. We asked him if he knew when the flight would be rescheduled and he said to check for emails or texts. That's it. We were probably at the window for one minute total. Still can't understand why it took that long if that was the only thing he had to do for each person in line.
    I am sure the agent was not the source of the issue for each person in front of you that took forever.

In 2017 I was in Germany as part of a trip that had me travel through Frankfurt four times with either plane then train or train then plane. For three of those links I stayed at a hotel before continuing on. I booked each of the nights at an off site hotel a few minutes away by shuttle bus. It turned out that was a hotel where they dump people en masse when there are flight issues. Everything about the experience was a shitshow, except for the room itself, which was nice for a decent price. The shuttle bus was a fight club. Checking in and out doubly so. I could not get over the number of disgruntled travelers who did not know how to take it in stride. For the final leg of the trip I cancelled my room there and spent €20 more to stay in the Hilton Garden on top of the train station at the actual airport. Wow. World of difference. I should have done that the first two times. Much, much less stress, better food and drink, and no crowds. Flying back to Montreal on Air Canada the next morning was a different story. Holy shit. One old guy needed all three on duty agents for a solid 40 minutes. WTFF??? None of the lines moved an inch and a few folks missed flights.