Page 1142 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 ... LastLast
Results 28,526 to 28,550 of 46293
    Probably not it but following my nose I got in front of the VCR once and it was foul. Unplugged everything, pulled it out, opened the spring loaded door and there was a dead rodent in there. Cat musta chased it when the entertainment center was open and it ran through the tape entry door which closed up behind it. We used it for a few days before finding it and wires were chewed through. Expensive mouse trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Mystery smells in my house. The last week or so I’ve gotten the occasional whiff of something unpleasant. Like rotten meat/dead animal/trash. Each time sets me sniffing around all corners of my house high and low like a crazy person, and then when I find nothing I’ll go on a random cleaning spree.... like polishing the handles of my shitty old fridge is going to do something.

It’s an old house. No forced air so no ducts. Something could have died in a wall but endless sniffing of receptacles and any other wall opening yields no clue. Plus I’ve never seen or heard an uninvited critter that didn’t have 6 or 8 legs in here. I was sniffing the ceilings and window/door casings tonight.

I’m at a loss.
    That happened to me in a rental years ago. I could never find the source, I thought a mouse had died in the walls and I just had to wait it out. I was on the road for weeks and weeks so I wasn't there all the time to deal with it, but months later the smell was getting worse. It ended up being about 14 (alive) feral cats who got in this enclosed space in my roof, only accessed from outside. That sucked! Drove me fucking nuts. Fucking neighbors put out food for them every day, too.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    We used it for a few days before finding it and wires were chewed through.
    What did you watch, The Sound of Music?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Probably not it but following my nose I got in front of the VCR once and it was foul. Unplugged everything, pulled it out, opened the spring loaded door and there was a dead rodent in there. Cat musta chased it when the entertainment center was open and it ran through the tape entry door which closed up behind it. We used it for a few days before finding it and wires were chewed through. Expensive mouse trap.
    Dude. This is divorce house. Everything I have I bought in the last 2 years. I don’t even have a CD player.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Went in to our crawl space to investigate a leak by our external hose bib, that is annoying. Got covered with cobwebs and dirt, annoying. Went outside to try to wipe all the cobweb crap off my pants, and my wedding ring flew off into the snow. Fuck.
    Fuckin crawl spaces are annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Mystery smells in my house. The last week or so I’ve gotten the occasional whiff of something unpleasant. Like rotten meat/dead animal/trash. Each time sets me sniffing around all corners of my house high and low like a crazy person, and then when I find nothing I’ll go on a random cleaning spree.... like polishing the handles of my shitty old fridge is going to do something.

It’s an old house. No forced air so no ducts. Something could have died in a wall but endless sniffing of receptacles and any other wall opening yields no clue. Plus I’ve never seen or heard an uninvited critter that didn’t have 6 or 8 legs in here. I was sniffing the ceilings and window/door casings tonight.

I’m at a loss.
    Chunk up a lemon and run it through the garbage disposer if you have one.

Another source is traps on rarely-used drains, like in a guest bathroom or a floor drain in the basement. Once the water in the trap evaporates gases can escape through them. Just run/pour some water down them.

Plugged plumbing vent?

^^that's another one. More of a pain to deal with than the other ones but if you can get on the roof you can make sure a bird hasn't built a nest or some bees aven't taken up residence or whatever on the vent stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Plugged plumbing vent?
    Causes erratic flushing. vent pipes vented on roof are no fun to clear. trust me on this.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Chunk up a lemon and run it through the garbage disposer if you have one.

Another source is traps on rarely-used drains, like in a guest bathroom or a floor drain in the basement. Once the water in the trap evaporates gases can escape through them. Just run/pour some water down them.
    Lol. Garbage disposer. Nothing so fancy.....

Trap’s a good one, though. Poured 5 gallons down the weird abandoned toilet in the corner of the basement. That might fit, since the smell is always on the lower level in the dining room area above where that toilet sits. The dining room location always led me to a piece of leftover food under a radiator or similar.

And I’ve never smelled it in the basement.... hope that’s it and it isn’t a blocked vent. 3 story house with a 12/12 roof and no good place to park a ladder.

It really doesn’t smell like sewer gas to me, though. I know what that smells like and.... that’s not this. Here’s to hoping I’m wrong and it’s the p trap.

Back to your regular shit that annoys you programming....
    focus.

Check the crawl space for dead hookers?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Check the crawl space for dead hookers?
    or the box springs?

but also 2nd checking bathroom drains if you have heated floors.
    My old house had heated floors and the drains in the bathrooms that weren't used frequently would dry out and emit funky smells
    skid luxury

If crawlspaces are bringing you guys down, please, in the name of safety stay off the roof.
    I still call it The Jake.

Man I was up on mine like a week ago, half-stoned, hip killing me, it was getting dark, and the guy had the ladder too steep, that was a little sketchy. I shoulda fixed the ladder before i climbed it but I'd been waiting for this guy to come look at it for two weeks and when he finally showed up I just wanted to get up there and look at the issue with the guy before it was pitch dark so I just said fukkit and climbed.

I spent a lovely autumn afternoon snaking all the roof vents on our 2 story home with metal roof.

The few neighbors within earshot might have been entertained by my toilet turrets syndrome.

Fixed the problem.

For a while.

Until the rains came.

Now the downstairs toilet is erratic again.

FML.

(almost a p00ku)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

-27 windchill this morning, dogs that want to linger outside instead of just taking care of business and having no water this morning.

The 4wd in my truck decided that today was a good day to not work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Must be a Dodge, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Must be a Dodge, eh?
    toyota sequoia.

what makes this doubly annoying is that about 6 months ago, I had to get the 4wd actuator replaced (there's a slight chance that repairing this time will be free because of that, but I'm not optimistic).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

toyota sequoia.
    Ah, crap. My bad - thought you said "truck"...

Using fuel stabilizer in the snowblower, and the thing still won’t start for shit.

Part 2: going to the small engine place where they are a bunch of assholes
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sounds like the linkage was frozen.
    Is it a known problem?
    Are the hub seals toast allowing water in?
    I’d shift in the night before a 5 degree morning if it’s gonna be a tegular thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    <snip>

Part 2: going to the small engine place where they are a bunch of assholes
    Hopefully they charge an arm and a leg in addition to being assholes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Sounds like the linkage was frozen.
    Is it a known problem?
    Are the hub seals toast allowing water in?
    I’d shift in the night before a 5 degree morning if it’s gonna be a tegular thing.
    it is a known problem, the actuator sometimes goes bad. Which is why I had it replaced a few months ago. So this might be covered under a "warranty", but don't know. Of course, it worked this morning.

annoying.

US Customs.
    I've been getting a monthly shipment from a company that does contract work for us in India for about 18 months now. There's a fair amount of paperwork to clear customs so they have an entire team dedicated to making sure everything is in place before the package goes out. Contents are on dry ice and time sensitive, if they get to room temperature they go bad. We had 17 shipments arrive in 48 hours with no issues. The 18th is held up by CBP for some mysterious reason. I've contacted Fedex and they're as confused as I am. The box is 3 days late, there's probably enough dry ice to last until Friday night but if not we're throwing $30k down the drain.
    Even worse, 5 years ago they held up a shipment of French cheese for 2 weeks and it wasn't salvageable when it finally arrived.