Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nashville Do's and Don'ts, Whatcha Got?

The missus and I are headed to Nashville for a long weekend next month. What's good? We will obviously be checking out some music and looking for good food. Any advice is appreciated.

I've been here for a few months now, and I gotta tell ya, I haven't been blown away by anything, but there is some good stuff to do. You can go nearly anywhere and listen to some damn good music. The best time I've had out here was at a gay bar called Play! They have an awesome drag show, and when I went they had karaoke beforehand that really was very good. This dude was pretty smokin'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	371_645791481632_9622_n.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	135329
    If you want a place to go for a nice stroll there's a replica of the Parthenon, and there's a decent BBQ place next to it called Hog Heaven.

If you want to drop $130 /person on an amazing 10 course meal, $180 /person with drink pairings, look up the catbird seat. You could TRY to get a reservation right now if you aren't too late.

For listening to music the Bluebird Cafe is supposed to be amazing. You might hear a song that you know but don't know the musician, and that could be because it's the songwriter singing it on stage. THIS PLACE IS VERY WELL KNOWN. YOU SHOULD MAKE A RESERVATION ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE.

12 South is just a little strip of a street that's pretty cool. 12 South taproom is one of the only places that you can find good beer around here, and their burger is really good.

Samurai is the only place to get good sushi.

If you want to catch an indie flick where you can drink, too, there's a great theatre here called the Belcourt, and the surrounding area is a happening little area. Right across the street is a great place to grab an interesting cup of joe or a Bouldery kind of breakfast at Fido.

Zanie's is a decent comedy club. Not fancy by any means but they have lots of good talent roll through there.
    Last edited by guroo270; 03-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Was just going to suggest Hog Heaven...cheap bbq stand, good stuff
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

There's supposed to be this burger place that deep fries the burgers in 100 year old oil. Can't remember the name right now, but saw it on some food channel show with that douchebag Guy Fiero.

That's Dyer's Burgers, in Memphis.

Good thread, keep it coming. I've got a bachelor party there at the beginning of June. Never been.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Margot
    Marche (Breakfast)
    The Capital Grill
    Broadway Brewhouse
    Loveless (touristy breakfast)
    Prince's (hot chicken)
    City House
    The Catbird Seat

As mentioned, Catbird Seat. It is one of the hottest restaurants in the country right now.

Holland House for great cocktails

Sean Brock is opening a second outpost of his James Beard Award winning Husk in Nashville but I'm not sure when it opens.
    I still call it The Jake.

Go to Papa Turney's. It's just outside of Nashville in Hermitage (2 exits west of the airport on 40, about 10 minutes), but it is well worth it. It's a little hole in the wall place with very friendly staff and amazing BBQ.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Hey Bmills. I think you mean the Patterson House. Which is in the same building as the Catbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Hey Bmills. I think you mean the Patterson House. Which is in the same building as the Catbird.
    Nah, I still mean Holland House, ( http://www.hollandhousebarandrefuge.com/ ), but I forgot about Patterson House! Great drinks there too - sister bar of the Violet Hour in Chicago.

Don't go to Nashville.

Wear Cowboys hats and boots down broadway to fit in.... But really stroll down near the arena and hit up Tootsie's, Earnest Tubb's, walk by the Ryman, hit up lunch at Arnold's, check out bicentennial/centennial park, stroll through vandy, hang out around hillsboro village, and go to a Preds game.

Drive a little ways: Loveless Cafe is tourist but still good. The Hermitage is a nice way to kill a day. Country Music HoF is down in the downtown area. Wasn't there when I used to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    Don't go to Nashville.
    No. Don't go back to Rockville.

Youth today.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Good thread, keep it coming. \
    Rental car? Cabs?

We love live music and the Bluebird sounds great. Once I'm done with my important postings here and on FB I'll make a reservation if possible.

Ummm, rent a car if you want to drive, cab if you don't....? Depends on your budget, really. If you are spending all of your time downtown parking is going to be a bitch. If you want to branch out and check out the Natchez Trace trail, I'd rent a car.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

my point was do you need a car or are cabs easy enough to get, and how spread out are things? Enough to necessitate a car? It isn't a budgetary decision.

The more downtown you are, the more plentiful the cabs, meaning there are plenty. Cabs wait outside the bars, even when you are on the outskirts... liiike, I went to the 5 spot, listed in GQ as one of the best places to get your groove on, it's on the outskirts, right across the street from Margot in 5 points, and there were plenty of cabs. Nashville is very touristy, it's well equipped.

The Station Inn for bluegrass. Also the Oak Bar in the Hermitage for Bourbon. If you're there for a couple days or less I'd say no car. More I'd say car. Also Vanderbilt is a really nice campus if you like college campuses.

Grimeys records is great, third man records is kinda cool, if you need awesome denim hit Imogene + Willie. Pricey but bomber and custom fit. Gran Fundo for bike shops.

There is a phenomenal flea market the last weekend of every month I believe.

Burger Up is also a good restaurant if you are on south side of town. Mas Tacos for good lunch, and a new burger bar across the street looks good too(I think it's called the Pharmacy?)

I've seen phenomenal shows at the station inn, cannery, and Ryman. Do the Ryman tour if you get an opportunity, or see a show there. Amazing venue with a ton of history.

Whelp, we are here. The wife's conference was at the Gaylord Opryland- a place I hope to never set foot in again. We got a place near Vandy and will probably hang out around here today. Good lunch spots?

Hog Heaven is right near Vandy
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Landed at Tavern Midtown. Enjoying a milk stout and having a hard time deciding what to order. Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Hog Heaven is right near Vandy
    We don't groove on swine.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    We don't groove on swine.
    they have chicken and beef as well
    http://www.hogheavenbbq.com/menu.html