Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skis that porpoise

I have tried A LOT of skis. But I think my favourite type of pow ski is one that skis in the snow rather than on top of it, with flotation concentrated at the waist and narrower tips that slice in and out the of snow. The EHP and Hoji exemplify this, but both lack versatility.

What other skis porpoise in and out of the snow rather than remaining constantly on top?

hoji lacks versatility? what the fuck are you talking about?

Lots of reverse camber = a touch sketch if it's hard. Sidecut and flex are dialled though. If they had the Renegade's more subtle rocker profile they'd probably be pretty close to ideal.

Lots of hype around these but they're not perfect at everything. Sorry for speaking the truth.

i've skied them every day for the last 3+ months in and out of bounds around snowbird. i wish the 13s had a little extra stiffness (the 14s do) but aside from that i can't think of a ski that's better day in and day out. before i destroyed the edges i had zero issues on hardpack with them.

and to say any ski is perfect at everything is dumb but to say the hoji lacks versatility is even more far fetched. i've stomped 20 footers to hardpack and skied 2 feet of fresh utah pow with everything in between, of all the skis i've been on over the past few years nothing comes close to being able to stack up versatility wise to the hoji.

I think that softish "five dimension" skis porpoise the best. CRJs are perfect for that sort of thing, and are versatile enough everywhere else unless you're really charging.

^I can get Wailer112s going on a pretty good bounding rhythm. Tips never go in, but I can sink and rebound the ski with a bunch of energy.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I have tried A LOT of skis. But I think my favourite type of pow ski is one that skis in the snow rather than on top of it, with flotation concentrated at the waist and narrower tips that slice in and out the of snow. The EHP and Hoji exemplify this, but both lack versatility.

What other skis porpoise in and out of the snow rather than remaining constantly on top?
    H2OG Kodiak or Karen'Cito (Karens a little large for daily driver).

I like to see someone who still likes a "traditional" ski. the above will make you ski them and reward you in full...angulate turns, and for SURE porpoise.

Enjoy.

A seemingly very polarizing ski due to where you mount it... but the Surface One Life has that porpoising ability.

I think my favourite type of pow ski is one that skis in the snow rather than on top of it...

If the snow is deep and dry, ANY ski will "porpoise." I could never understand why people actually prefer the feeling of pushing snow around with your boots and shins. Dragging through the snow?, Rather than floating?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Volkl Sanouk! Unfortunately they're not good at anything but porpoising in pow.

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    If the snow is deep and dry, ANY ski will "porpoise." I could never understand why people actually prefer the feeling of pushing snow around with your boots and shins. Dragging through the snow?, Rather than floating?
    IMO the greatest and rarest ski turn is the tips under the snow fall line deep pow turn, where its not just a faceshot here and there, but a constant stream of snow first hitting your torso then roosting up and over your head. You need deep and light snow and also to be comfortable changing edges with your tips buried. Long no rocker skis seem to be the best for this.

I picked up some zag skis this year called the purist. 88 underfoot and super low rise tip rocker and tail rocker. Got then for spring riding but have skied them on a few pow days. They are the fastest ski through powder I have ever experienced, they have absolutely no resistance it seems. They rock the old school bouncy pow turn like no other. High speed runouts.. not so much. Great in steep trees and they carve up groomers like a motherfucker!
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Hmmm.

I think that's more a function of how one skis than the skis themselves. I'm known to porpoise on porpoise on 200 cm DPS Lotus 120s which have a fair amount of surface area. I think the slight pintail helps.

Bear in mind that I spent lots more time on 207 Dynamic VR17s where I knew I was skiing the deepest snow on the mountain.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

flotation concentrated at the waist and narrower tips that slice in and out the of snow.
    D(C) i know I sound like a broken record lately but that pretty much describes the Concept. Not as much taper as a hoji, but it skis a lot narrower than the 5 dimension shapes at a similar waist width (JJ,CRJ, Super 7 etc.) Definitely gets you more in the snow, but because of its shape its still really loose and maneuverable. I gotta admit though it was pretty easy to make the JJs do that classic style up and down pow turns, they just didn't do it for me elsewhere.

The new carbon katana might be interesting for you, as the tip and the tail are the lightest and the stiffest you can imagine... I've spent two hours on them recently and will write a review soon on coreshot....

Jet turns??

Seriously, what the hell do you mean by porpoise?

If you want to be deeper in the snow , get less width and surface area. But is anyone making jet turns anymore?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But is anyone making jet turns anymore?

>>>raises hand<<<
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Seriously, what the hell do you mean by porpoise?
    Ski an S7 and a 4FRNT EHP back to back and you'll know what I mean. Some skis have a tip that floats at all cost, where the ski tends to ride above the snow starting at the tip. Other skis float with a more neutral buoyancy at the extremities, with the float more concentrated underfoot.

In my experience, ingredients are:
    - Not overly fat waist
    - Relatively narrow tips and tails
    - Long taper at tips and tails
    - Moderate flex at extremities to allow the ski to decamber and pop to the surface

And while we're explaining terminology, what the hell is a jet turn?

These things porpoise like a mutha. Weird because they are tapered. Maybe it's the camber.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m149xdq1Hy1rne64qo1_500.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	135372
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

^^^^

Screw EHPs! My next skis will be actual porpoises!

I love that photochop!

D(C), have you skied the CRJ? Because I'm thinking it's pretty much what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    D(C), have you skied the CRJ? Because I'm thinking it's pretty much what you're getting at.
    The CRJs are absolutely incredible powder skis for making tight turns, but I found the sidecut to be too symmetrical when opening them up for longer arcs. I could not pressure them properly using carving technique. Once again, they're a ski that's oh so close. If you could trim some width off the ass, that would be the winner. Give me the Hoji's shape with the CRJ's camber profile and that's the ski. The 2 are surprisingly similarly behaved in pow, though the Hojis are better at directional carves.

This old thread was dug up, which had my thoughts on the CRJs at a time when I was actually skiing them: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...CRJ-vs-186-EHP

Have you ridden then Cody's then? I've never skied them in pow personally, but they could do the trick. A little skinnier than the HOJIs.

205 Rossignol Haute Route, damn fun short radius turning ski in deep powder...

Heh... shows what kind of memory I have - I posted in that thread.

Your feelings on the CRJ and mine are the same re: narrower tail. I like your hoji/crj hybrid idea too.