NYT Mag article about Kilian Jornet Burgada

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I have a friend who has been racing against him. That Mont Blanc run sounds insane, based on what he told me.

Pics of Naila and her mom needed stat.

A race between him and Ueli Steck would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Pics of Naila and her mom needed stat.
    NailaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0837.jpeg 
Views:	336 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	135259
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Three years ago at Western States, I'm pretty sure that it was Kilian who had nothing but a small bag of dates for his drop bag at the mile 17 aid station. Fairly early in the race. I also seem to recall him carrying a minimal amount of water, or no water at all.

That was the first year that we began seeing hudge groups of frontrunners coming in together. In all the years past, the leaders were always well-spaced. There was almost always some knucklehead going mach looney (and almost always dropping later in the race [The one exception that I remember is Mike Morton in 97]), and then a steady stream of frontrunners.

It's a whole different game now. Last year at 16.5 miles, we had something like the first 30 runners within 15 min of each other. Mind blowing how much the competition's ramped up.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A race between him and Ueli Steck would be interesting
    different sport. ueli's a technical climber, kilian's a cardio/endurance freak, each definitely having a bit of crossover though. think they've been working on some insanely fast ascents together or will be in the future.