Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions Eddie Bauer First Ascent line?

Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line seems pretty well thought out and is comparatively affordable. Any love/hate out there?
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

I have a down sweater from the line, it has been fine. The outer material is a bit fragile, but no more so than is standard for that type of piece. It was a great deal for like $100 on sale. There are tall sizes available which is awesome.

Great value for the price since it's often on sale.

Hmm...they state that you can return the item at any time for any reason for a full refund for life. Weird that they don't seem to get much love around here. I have a primaloft midlayer from them but have been reluctant to spend more based purely on the fact that their stuff is so affordable. Too good to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    Hmm...they state that you can return the item at any time for any reason for a full refund for life. Weird that they don't seem to get much love around here. I have a primaloft midlayer from them but have been reluctant to spend more based purely on the fact that their stuff is so affordable. Too good to be true?
    Way back when it used to be a quality brand, then got sucked up by a large corp and became crap based on marketing, "Eddie Bauer version of the Ford Explorer". My guess is that the Ascent stuff is a loss leader in an attempt to compete in the Patagucci market. Nobody wears Eddie Bauer to go grocery shopping in Aspen, they want to start making quality stuff to change that. They have to be cheaper to get exposure.

I got a First Ascent down sweater a couple of months ago and like it alot and use it as a down under midlayer skiing, car coat and dog walking jacket. I like it alot as it is warm, not too bulky and has a fairly large vent under arms. I also like the fact that I was able to order a tall so the arm and length is better for me. I guess the only negative I see is that the zippers are light duty and you need to take care and not muscle them. Overall I would buy this again, especially the price point of under $100 shipped to me.

It's good stuff. They wanted to get back into the serious outdoor sports/climbing market, and this line got them there. I really love their Guide Gloves. Some of their other pieces (softshell, down) are also very nice. Their packs are a bit over-engineered for my tastes, but some people like them.

Owned by PE now.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

I have an XLT merino zip base layer that is my favorite. I have been a patagonia supporter my whole adult life, but find myself drawn more and more to some of their line. Having tall sizes helps IMO.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

i have the down hoodie (in a tall!) and love it; it replaced a marmot jacket and has been superior so far.
    my wife has the bc200 jacket and i'm jealous; it's a sweet backcountry piece of gear.

a sample of n=2, for whatever that's worth to you

I've got an original igniter that's got some delamming on the hood brim, need to trade it in for a new one. Also got a pair of some wind gloves that has stitching coming apart, wife has the same gloves with the same problem. Had one of their multitools and it was a POS, the bits got torn apart after a couple gentle uses.

Based on how happy a lot of folks are with their FA stuff they must make some decent products, but I've had pretty bad luck with it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I've got two down vests, a fleece and some of their polartec windpro gloves. All have held up great, except I did rip my first pair of gloves on a ski edge, so I went in to the store and asked if I could swap them out for a new pair and they were more than happy to accomodate. We have a store right in town so I'm in pretty frequently checking out the new arrivals. Most of the pieces seem like they will hold up great. I've been tempted on multiple occasions to grab one of their nicer backpacks or a soft shell jacket.

Like others have said, the prices are definitely competitive (especially when on sale) and the return policy is just as good as anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It's good stuff. They wanted to get back into the serious outdoor sports/climbing market, and this line got them there. I really love their Guide Gloves. Some of their other pieces (softshell, down) are also very nice. Their packs are a bit over-engineered for my tastes, but some people like them.
    I would aggree that their packs seem over-engineered, that is until you use one. I have been using one of the Alchimist packs and it is by far the best ski mountaineering pack I have ever had. I'm able to do a multi day trip and still have a pack that slims down and skis awsome when just the essentials are thrown in for main objectives. May be a niche product, but for the niche it is made for it is an awsome pack. I'll have to report back in a couple of seasons on durability, only time will tell. Very impressed with their 4 season tents also from my limited experience with one. No experience with their outerwear.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    I would aggree that their packs seem over-engineered, that is until you use one. I have been using one of the Alchimist packs and it is by far the best ski mountaineering pack I have ever had. I'm able to do a multi day trip and still have a pack that slims down and skis awsome when just the essentials are thrown in for main objectives. May be a niche product, but for the niche it is made for it is an awsome pack. I'll have to report back in a couple of seasons on durability, only time will tell. Very impressed with their 4 season tents also from my limited experience with one. No experience with their outerwear.
    Looks like none of their packs (that would work for skiing anyway) have back-panel access. Weak.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

My wife has a FA down puffy. It's okay. Sheds more feathers than my MH stuff. The MSRP on the FA stuff is a little out there. They have a couple of nice shells, but not $450 nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I have one of the BC200 jackets that I use for mountain biking, hiking and commuting to work in the pouring rain. It's been great, breathes well and keeps me dry. Can't complain for the price and performance.

Good stuff and they support good people like our own Kyle M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Positive reviews. Still perplexed as to why they don't get much traction around here. Unfortunately I'm guessing that it has more to do with desired projected status than the quality of the brand.

I just bought the Hangfire jacket. $99 and after handling both the Hangfire and the Patagonia R1, I'd say it's a comparable if not better product for almost $80 cheaper and a better warranty.

I have the Igniter Jacket, Downlines Jacket and I forget the name of the shell. All have held up to heavy use for several years now, minimal complaints. The shell and Downlines are fairly heavy but not unbearably so and they have been suitably durable. No down shedding. I also have a couple of the basic fleeces, nothing fancy there but good quality, 0 problems. Chest pocket could be bigger.

It might just be because my friend's a manager at the store here, but the jacket's I've seen look pretty nice. It's a 3L fabric they're using. At least on the one he has.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The women's outerwear has a nice fit and a 100% guarantee.

I was told they use Lyndsey Dyer as the fit model, so the pants are built for big quads & butts and small waists, even in the shorter/ smaller sizes, which is actually really, really, really hard to find in women's ski pants.

That said, IMO, they need to dial in their use of materials to better serve the intended use of the product-- some of the durability vs. flossiness ratio choices don't make a ton of sense.
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight

I got the Bombshelter Jacket 2 seasons ago and it's held up well. If you are patient you can get very good deals on their stuff. Bought it for 40%off. I got it for colder days so it doesn't get 100% use. It's got solid features to it like the snap up powder skirt. My only complaint(s) would be the sleeves could be a little longer and the innner dump pocket should be lined differently and not just the down liner. I wouldn't want to put skins or something rough in there because it would probably shred the fabric. I have some of the base layers and they are pretty good as a system with minimal bunching/restricted movement. My GF has the Down Shirt which to me is more like a fitted light weight down layer and she loves it. It too has held up well over the past couple seasons.

Anyone worn the Neoteric shell? Neoshell material, won gear of the year from outside...

I don't really like that they use mostly proprietary fabric. We all know what the top stuff is. For example, their "soft shell" material really doesn't have much info. Where does it stand between gore windstopper and polartec wind pro?

I have a couple pieces of FA gear that I think are great. I was hesitant at first to really trust Eddie Bauer as they are a bit more big box but they have never disappointed me so far. I have the guide lite gloves that are two years old and still going strong. I have the Microdown Sweater that I pack down for pretty much every camping/touring/biking trip in the pack. Yeah it leaks a bit of down, but what mini down doesn't. The Accelerant jacket as a ski touring/cooler weather biking shell is awesome as it breathes well and is warm and packable. In my opinion, the Alchemist 30 pack is my favourite pack I have ever used on a mountain. Just does everything well and is sturdy, wears comfy, and simple.

All the experiences I have had, have been positive ones. And with easily one of the best return/exchange policies ever, I would not hesitate sending you that direction. I have brought back things that were 100% user error that they have been super helpful and supportive with.