Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

And so it begins, my blank canvass to paint, mold, er, something.....

Haven't been around these parts in a while. Life has just kind of gotten in the way. Well, that and living in the mountain biking non-mecca. Back in August last year we moved into a larger spread and I've finally had a chance to bring the riding home, so to speak. This is my evolving thread of trying to figure out just what to do with my back acre or so. I have some sort of pump track/trails combo in mind, but who knows. I just know I've got a LOT of work to do, but at least I have a tractor at my disposal and I've finally gotten started....

And yes, these three rascals can also explain my lack of skiiing/riding the last few years.

Oh, and the weeds will be gone by Saturday. A guy is coming over to disc the whole area, then I'll get a tractor and scrape it nice and flat, getting lots of dirt to play with in the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130320_103418-X2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	135078  

Sick! That's exciting. Lots of potential there.

Color me jealous... if I lived in your area I'd be happy to help. My dream is to one day own 30-40 acres with my own pump track, skills course, and longer XC trail.

Depending on how much time and money you want to spend, I'd go with a pump track for the kids and a little skills course with bridges, drops, and some rock features. Nice!

Edit: Not sure how much experience you have building features, trails, etc, but this MTBR forum probably has some useful information:

http://forums.mtbr.com/trail-building-advocacy/

picnic table/BBQ in the middle to hang out at. Pump track around that. Skills/skinnies around the pump track. Jump line around the outside of it all. Epic backyard.

Some shade somewhere is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Some shade somewhere is always nice.
    Yeah - make sure you build big enough jumps so that they provide some shade.

Children make great jumps and log drops and stuff like that. Depending on how and how often you ride, you may have to replace them every summer or so, though.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Children make great jumps and log drops and stuff like that. Depending on how and how often you ride, you may have to replace them every summer or so, though.
    Heh, depending on the day, my wife just might endorse this idea.

At the moment, no plans for any skinnies or anything such, just dirt features. As for shade, I want to plant 50-75 or so eucalyptus trees and water the crap out of them so they grow fast. Should be nice and tall within a few years. Yeah, it tends to get warm here in the summer so shade would be nice.

most eucalyptus trees don't provide good shade - they turn their leaves so the thin part faces the sun. Some adaptation that came from surviving Australian droughts. Do you know they are also renowned for dropping branches randomly once they get bigger? The insides of the boughs rot out.

Sweet looking project dood. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Color me jealous... if I lived in your area I'd be happy to help. My dream is to one day own 30-40 acres with my own pump track, skills course, and longer XC trail.
    same here. pretty stoked for you. it's going to be a fun project.

wifey and i just started talking about scoping out some land and building a place. i told her i'd like to do this and she laughed saying go for it. grab a shovel mokan. beer's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    most eucalyptus trees don't provide good shade - they turn their leaves so the thin part faces the sun. Some adaptation that came from surviving Australian droughts. Do you know they are also renowned for dropping branches randomly once they get bigger? The insides of the boughs rot out.
    They also explode horrifically and contribute to spreading fire, or at least that's the old wives tale. Not that it looks like this is a location that is likely to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
    same here. pretty stoked for you. it's going to be a fun project.

wifey and i just started talking about scoping out some land and building a place. i told her i'd like to do this and she laughed saying go for it. grab a shovel mokan. beer's on me.
    Oh, I'm game. As long as you return the favor in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    They also explode horrifically and contribute to spreading fire, or at least that's the old wives tale. Not that it looks like this is a location that is likely to burn.
    Lots of natural oils yes, but any old pine tree will also explode in flames in a hot enough fire...

looks like farmer neighbours, they're going to have a little conniption when the OP turns his field into a treed covered bike park

i whole heartidly endorse this thread and can't wait to see where it goes. I would suggest maybe building some non-dirt features to reduce the amount of maintenance it needs.

When I moved my yard got 30% smaller, but i moved closer to biking. This back yard will build rippers out of your wee ones. My little guys love the local jumps, they would blow a fuse (in a good way) if I built something like this in the back yard, then my wife would blow a fuse (in a bad way).

Get dirty!
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I've been wanting to do something with my yard...
    We've got a nice canvas to work with as well.

everything past the fence to the trees near the powerline is in play.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    They are also very shallow rooted, and tip over very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I've been wanting to do something with my yard...
    We've got a nice canvas to work with as well.

everything past the fence to the trees near the powerline is in play.

Your views are better than mine.

As for neighbors, I doubt any will care. Backyards in this subdivision range anywhere from fruit trees to junk yard to manicured landscaping to weeds.

How to make flat work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZh-zO1trBM

This place is pretty legit.

I'll tell you the story behind '8 mile' some time
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Your views are better than mine.
    Yeah but you can ride every month of the year. That's going to be the coolest yard ever CS.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Yeah but you can ride every month of the year. That's going to be the coolest yard ever CS.
    ^^this

I have a pretty short season. Stoked to see what you're going to come up with. I have some neighbors with a ridiculous setup.
    Flow trail, bridges, pump track, and dirt jumps.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Backyards in this subdivision range anywhere from fruit trees to junk yard to manicured landscaping to weeds.
    Oooooo, good call, definitely grow some weed, that'll make all the small flowy features a lot of fun.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

CS, where are you again? I forgot.

I am in Fresno, Ca. Well, more specifically, Clovis, but, yeah, smack dab in Central California.

Aha.
    Dang, build Kidwoo a little torture dungeon, and let him just live there....