Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    But for inbounds-only use, I'd go 184 Billy Goat.
    I second the motion. Gosey, I've seen you ski, and the 184 BG would be perfect for you.

You can try my 186s when you come to CO if your BSL happens to be close to 297mm. Gotta be real close though as they're mounted with FKS.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I second the motion. Gosey, I've seen you ski, and the 184 BG would be perfect for you.

You can try my 186s when you come to CO if your BSL happens to be close to 297mm. Gotta be real close though as they're mounted with FKS.
    295 and done (with a beer at the 'skeller, of course!) This would be totally sweet. Thanks for the input. 295 close enough, eh?
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Yep 295 will totally fit. I'll rally a few laps on yer Wagners, if you don't mind. Never skied one of their skis.

wtf 5'7" and 210+??? Did you eat Santa?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    wtf 5'7" and 210+??? Did you eat Santa?
    Fat ass, yes. 5 yr in Louisiana did not help... But that's neither here nor there.

J, I think you may like the Wagners. Pretty bomber construction and very stable. Stoked on the design. Basically if Head iM103 and Explosiv had a lovechild...

Back to your scheduled programming.
    -Jimi Hendrix

DPS Lotus 120 Spoon

Dd, maybe not what you want but the spooned 138 is way better on groomers than before AND better in untracked. The combo of spoon and
    sorted out sidecut made them perfect a few weeks ago in a resort/heli trip in SA.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I'm sooooo jazzed to try out my 197 120 spoons. I was caressing them just yesterday. Now if only it would snow!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

DPS Lotus 120 Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    Bumping an old one. I'm mounting new bindings on mine and due to hole conflicts I can either go +3 or -1. Anyone gone behind the line on these? Just putting the boot on the ski at -1 makes it look like there is very little tail remaining.
    +3 would scare me. Go back 1. These skis, while rocket ships, scrub speed on a dime so I think you'd be fine back a cm. Going that far up may hamper the versatility the pin tail brings, dragging the lightning quick speed check function. They also ski a tad short/arguably true. Def not long. Going up could give it a drastically shorter feel.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Length: Can anyone compare relative length of 178 older versions to current 178?

I'm 5'7, waaaaaay too doughy these days at goddamn 210+ but shooting to trim up substantially and have been on 178 Lotus 120 hybrid from c.2011 for about 20ish resort days per year (I am lazy--exclusively inbounds more or less) and have toyed with the idea of going to the 184 (when it was available).

Partly, this is for concerns of stability at speed, particularly in the chopped up, and really my only complaint with current set-up (albeit a very minor one) is some flop in the tip when choppy, and I wish they were a tiiiiny bit heavier (so maybe my inquiry is irrelevant considering the pure construction of the new spooned L120). Plus I am hoping to get several days on heli in AK this year. Was on my 178 L120 for an AK trip in 2013 and definitely wished I had some more length (ended up on some 192 138s that were better, if not a bit long for my midget ass).

Question is: if I were considering a minor upgrade in length before, would anyone say he feels that these ski a little longer than the prior versions, particularly with increased tail stiffness/maybe less tail rocker? 189 seems a bit silly, but this may be a point of contention, as no increase in length miiiiiiiiight push me toward another (i.e. updated) pow ski, if I ever get the $$$ to do so.

For reference, when I skied a 100-day season late in college (2009), I went nuts and actually bought a 190 version but gave them up when I went back to Louisiana for med school and started commuting by plane to I-70 to ski a dozen days a year.

When I had the 190, I kind of wished there was a 184 out at that time, especially in tight trees (duh). Now at about 25-30 days a year skiing in SoCal. Current skis include a 178 Wailer 105 for when it is soft and 0"-2 or 3" of new, and 182 Wagner ski with traditional camber and pretty heavy that skis like a slightly less lively Explosiv (90 underfoot--ideal quiver for me with spectrum of 90, 105, and 120 underfoot to cover all snow depths).

Any insight much appreciated... Great reviews in here. Make me want a pair for sure!
    Gosey, are you looking for a directional pow ski? This should also been in your head:
    http://www.dpsskis.com/en/skis/all-m...r-112-rpc.html

The 186 gets you your length... it's a little narrower, but will plain out really nicely.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

DPS Lotus 120 Spoon

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Gosey, are you looking for a directional pow ski? This should also been in your head:
    http://www.dpsskis.com/en/skis/all-m...r-112-rpc.html

The 186 gets you your length... it's a little narrower, but will plain out really nicely.
    Good call GR. have sometimes thought about RPC, but figured there would be a fair amount of overlap with wailer 105 and never knew what to think of that shape. Always kind of figured 120mm or more is the sweet spot for a relatively dedicated powder ski as well.

L120 I feel like is somewhat directional (slightly) and that is what I'm used to, but I am more than open to the idea straight up sliding sideways at speed, so a private message about a 182 138 is rather intriguing :firedevil: (maybe even to complement the 120, which may be retarded for the relatively modest number of days I get skiing, but with the absolutely raving reviews from this forum and early ups, sounds like maybe a really sweet tool to have for an AK trip in the spring at least...)

Anyway carry-on, all. Haven't been too active on the forum in about five years, and super exciting to see some of the design trends that seem to be panning out really well.
    -Jimi Hendrix

^^^ this is why auvgeek and I are both recommending the Billy Goat. Not that any of the DPS skis are bad skis (far from it), just that the BG is IMO a more versatile powder tool than any of the above.
    -more damp in chop than any DPS I've skied, though I have not skied the new Hybrid T2 layup with metal in it.
    -float comparable to the L120 despite the narrower dimensions, due to RES and well designed rocker lines
    -better hardpack performance than either L120 or L138
    -excellent balance between ability to ski sideways and ability to arc a turn - kinda in between the L138 and L120 in this sense

In other words, I think the BG gives you enough of the advantages of the various DPS skis, without the downsides. Where the DPS skis win IMO is that for the specific task for which they are designed, there is often no better ski. The L138 is probably the most refined nearly full reverse-reverse ski, and probably the best AK tool of the bunch. But the BG will be more versatile for day-in, day-out inbounds pow skiing. The L120 is probably the best lightweight, 120mm directional pow touring ski, but I'd much rather have a heavier layup inbounds. The RPC has significant competition from many different skis, but is still an excellent ski - I just think the BG is a better pow ski and doesn't give up anything in firm/variable snow.

If you're considering alternatives to the L120, I'd also throw the Renegade in the mix. Haven't skied the BG, but love the more forward mount point of the Renegade (-7) to the L120 (-13.5, -12.5 if you go +1). Not sure about the mount point of the BG, but weights and radius are similar (Renegade is slightly lighter?).
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ^^^ this is why auvgeek and I are both recommending the Billy Goat. Not that any of the DPS skis are bad skis (far from it), just that the BG is IMO a more versatile powder tool than any of the above.
    -more damp in chop than any DPS I've skied, though I have not skied the new Hybrid T2 layup with metal in it.
    -float comparable to the L120 despite the narrower dimensions, due to RES and well designed rocker lines
    -better hardpack performance than either L120 or L138
    -excellent balance between ability to ski sideways and ability to arc a turn - kinda in between the L138 and L120 in this sense

In other words, I think the BG gives you enough of the advantages of the various DPS skis, without the downsides. Where the DPS skis win IMO is that for the specific task for which they are designed, there is often no better ski. The L138 is probably the most refined nearly full reverse-reverse ski, and probably the best AK tool of the bunch. But the BG will be more versatile for day-in, day-out inbounds pow skiing. The L120 is probably the best lightweight, 120mm directional pow touring ski, but I'd much rather have a heavier layup inbounds. The RPC has significant competition from many different skis, but is still an excellent ski - I just think the BG is a better pow ski and doesn't give up anything in firm/variable snow.
    Nailed it. I have both skis and the L120 is only better than the BG on the way up. I had so much fun on my BGs last season I didn't ski one day on my Lib Tech Pows, which I love.

Old thread bump 189 120s vs supergoats. Supergoats have sths for inbounds and I am shopping for dedicated touring skis and would prefer something lighter than ON3P makes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Old thread bump 189 120s vs supergoats. Supergoats have sths for inbounds and I am shopping for dedicated touring skis and would prefer something lighter than ON3P makes.
    Have you looked at the super goat at all?? They weigh a metric fuck ton. Add some snow to the top sheet and you may as well start training with a Prius attached to each foot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Have you looked at the super goat at all?? They weigh a metric fuck ton. Add some snow to the top sheet and you may as well start training with a Prius attached to each foot.
    I own supergoats with sth for inbounds and yes they are heavy. I want new touring sticks that can ski untracked snow with a similar feel and are less heavy, these will have dynafits and don't need any chop performance so 120s seem like they might fit the bill. I am interested in a comparison between a RES goat and a 120.

I own supergoats with sth for inbounds and yes they are heavy. I want new touring sticks that can ski untracked snow with a similar feel and are less heavy, these will have dynafits and don't need any chop performance so 120s seem like they might fit the bill. I am interested in a comparison between a RES goat and a 120.
    Gotcha. Reading comprehension fail on my part. Sorry ‘bout that. I thought you wanted to tour on your super goats. Lol.

Goat is so much easier to ski.
    Tail on the 120 is stiff AF and quite unforgiving, IMO.

Both excel at GS turns through pow.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

L120 is a great pow touring ski! Never skied anything by ON3P but I love my Lotii for pow but also think they do very good for a 120mm in most other backcountry conditions. And yes they are best with longer radius turns at higher speeds and sometimes difficult in tighter spots.
    I skied them on the line but after my bindings ripped out I relocated to -1.5 or something and maybe like them even better there as I get a little more edge in front of the boot in non-powder.

If you can find, or have a good deal on some I would recommend to go this way.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    L120 is a great pow touring ski! Never skied anything by ON3P but I love my Lotii for pow but also think they do very good for a 120mm in most other backcountry conditions. And yes they are best with longer radius turns at higher speeds and sometimes difficult in tighter spots.
    I skied them on the line but after my bindings ripped out I relocated to -1.5 or something and maybe like them even better there as I get a little more edge in front of the boot in non-powder.

If you can find, or have a good deal on some I would recommend to go this way.
    Im not a super goater, but the L120 is my all time fave pow touring ski.

Im -1 from the line. Im gotta say this is one of the easiest skis Ive been on for very fast directional changes in the fall line, no issues with the tails hanging up ever for me.

My second pr as an inbounds pow ski- that's where the lightness and the carbon are less at home in cut up chop, hard pack, and bumps, and deflection is an issue. Goats excel in those conditions.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

My pow touring rig is a pre-Spoon pair of 190cm Lotus 120s , mounted about +1.5. These things haul ass, but they really are easy to change directions or shut down speed. There is a pair of 189 Spoons for sale in GS right now...

DPS Lotus 120 Spoon

Another L-120 fan here...
    1st and 2nd gen with a pair of spoons sitting in the bullpen.
    They haul ass, make big stinking turns with confidence while being able to pivot, flare and shut down speed in the blink of an eye. They are a powder ski, when it turns to chop/set up snow, I get something else out. I own 191 goats as well, have logged lots of vert on them. In my world, I would not characterize them as a powder ski, I think of them more like a burly all terrain vehicle that can also ski pow. They hold a secure spot in the quiver, are heavy AF and come out for "hot pow", upside down snow, and well, billygoaty shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    My pow touring rig is a pre-Spoon pair of 190cm Lotus 120s , mounted about +1.5. These things haul ass, but they really are easy to change directions or shut down speed. There is a pair of 189 Spoons for sale in GS right now...
    My pow touring skis are 190 Lotus 120 from the bamboo sidewall Era, so about 10 years old now. Mounted on the line. Awesomeness.

I picked up some 200cm ones earlier this year and have skied them a few times, mounted on the line with alpine bindings. More directional stability but harder to turn than the 190s. I don't think they added much in float vs 190.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

the red ones are the best, they do anything and i got them real cheap

I have them in both 184 and 190 hybrid Bamboo

It looked to me like DPS was engraving year and S/N on the ski ?

so mine are 2011 and only 3 numbers apart
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

OP - now that the L120 dick waving endorsements have begun, I think you know what ski to purchase.