Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ...our generation will clearly be remembered as the generation that normalized faggotry ...
    hahahhahahhahahhahhahhahahahahhahahhhahaahhahhahah ahhahahhahahaha!

holy shit that's funny.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

You will know us by the trail of dead.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

We invented sizzurp.

As a child of the 80's myself, I think our legacy will be our neverending quest to right the wrongs of our parents.
    We're probably the first generation with divorces and split families being incredibly common.
    We lived through having all sorts of dreams crushed - space shuttle explosion, 9/11, the fall of basically every major industry (banking twice, autos once, manufacturing, the move to china, outsourcing)
    We've run through vast shifts in cultural influences (80's superpop ->Grunge->Gangsta Rap->Resurgence of Boy Bands)
    We're the first generation to have access to the internet from prior to our High School Graduation
    We're probably the first generation to have girls outachieving/equally achieving boys scholastically as a norm
    From my personal experience, we seem to value hard work and caring for others over money or glamour.
    We're the first generation to have an international workforce be a normal thing via outsourcing and consulting.

I have high hopes for my generation, even if I myself am an underachiever. I feel the cultural experience has made us a people carved from wood and stone, rather than the millenials after us, whom I feel are woefully underprepared for the world.

I also could be talking out of my ass on these things, but c'est la vie.

It depends on the time frame, the dinosaurs lived 370million years, for the human mind that is incredibly hard to grasp.

If you look at humans in the wide angel its a tremendous story of a very strange animal that decided on their own to break away from the way other animals generally work. This is so fucking interesting it exists beyond words, assuming a great many things this is why aliens would find us interesting.

In the short term there is alot of bad shit right, wars, famine, general apathy, greed, etc but the thing to remember about those things is they only apply to us. The universe does not care about ww2 or things like good and bad. Beyond humans they have no meaning, they do not exist. We can physically see only a very small portion of the universe, all that we really know is 4%, at least as far as we currently understand things. It is the same for your mind, your thinking establishes certain functional truths were as the real does not exist in the thinking mind it exists from nature. Thinking certainly does too but the difference is it only describes that which is real. This is very important because alot of what we think is only the description not the reality. Death is an idea, an idea that is frankly laughable, that which we call death does not stem from thinking but from nature so why we believe what we think about death is so important is beyond me.

This all sounds very I just dropped acid but it is both true and very important to how we exist.

This particular generation its going to be real tough, alot of what seems important now will turn out not to be in 50 years and obviously the reverse. Wars in the grand sense are pretty much irrelevant, in 1 million years ww2 is probably not all that relevant were as something like resource depletion is probably a much bigger deal. Its very tough to say as its next to impossible to figure out what humanity would be in 10,000 years let alone 1 million. The shitest part is you don't get to decide what we are remembered for, we will be dead and those that decide will most likely live in a very different world.

This is going to sound very very strange but what is star X remembered for ? It created all that you are and everything around you, probably actually a bunch of different stars, regardless it isn't even known by those that it created. Is it not then important ? Of course not it created everything its just that these kinds of questions are very human and humans do not establish the framework of the universe...probably. Being remembered ultimately doesn't seem that relevant outside of humans.

Here's the really big one, you are not just a human, assuming a very human definition of you of course....existence is a very funny joke, a privilege that makes the lottery look like a sure thing.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    In almost all of the third world the same is true, though you need a finer-grained analysis once you leave the developed west.
    What the fuck are you talking about? In the "third world" particularly Asia, it's really easy to see how much progress has been made in the last decade, much less the post-WW2 era. Night and day. Now we just have soft discrimination instead of hard.

Picture of Shanghai in 1990 and in 2010:

http://gizmodo.com/5558350/shanghai-...fore-and-after

commensurate with that is a substantial rise in living standard for many. feet->bicycle->moped->car in 30 years, dwarfs anything in the "West". And that's the "story" of this "generation" - the rise of the rest of the world. It's not Americans or Western Europeans buying luxury property in London, it's Russia the Far East and Africans

Women's rights worldwide can be contributed to the USA. Legal weed and a really good modern space program.

Fuck the older generation except the space race, most are raucous bigots and assholes. All those big and small wars we wax-on so greatly about, never would have happened had actual civil rights and equality had been respected. The military is professional now, and we "salute" those who get paid to kill. Eat a bag of dicks.

The X Generation is a bunch of whiners and fucking show-up-posers, who expect, bitch and complain about what is entitled to them. They have no ethics, taking the high road is almost unheard of unless a hippy.

Medical field is in shambles and is too corrupt to see its own ass. We are a society of mass killers and only the survival of the rich, or lucky.

Shit is fucked.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

and this sums it up:
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

You're obviously a white male. .
    TGR, white men being the voice of the black women since 1996.

What will we be known for? Who knows, there's lots of time left.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Women's rights worldwide can be contributed to the USA.
    tax free, like a Roth IRA?

...most are raucous bigots and assholes.
    at least it is easy to spot the raucous ones.

...Shit is fucked.
    I'll say.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

Also the home of the Moors
    Oh, I'm sorry. It's the Moops.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    [ snip ]
    I have high hopes for my generation, even if I myself am an underachiever.
    [ snip ]

The first generation to perfect the art of doublethink?

Reality TV.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Hugh Conway, I discussed the need for a "finer grained analysis" and you focused on one country as if it is completely representative of the entire world. Try again, start with reading for comprehension. "finer grained analysis" means that gneralizations need to be less broad, more focused. I think one would have a hard time arguing that N. Korean peasants, for instance, believe they are living through a period of great social progress. The "stans" have seen fits and spurts of progress followed and preceded by lengthy periods of stagnation or reversal. Some areas of Africa are just as oligarchical today as they were 100 years ago. As I said, for hte most part, even the thrid world the 20th was a century of progress. "For the most part" means "this is largely true but there are exceptions." I don't want you to get confused.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Hugh Conway, I discussed the need for a "finer grained analysis" and you focused on one country as if it is completely representative of the entire world. Try again, start with reading for comprehension. "finer grained analysis" means that gneralizations need to be less broad, more focused. I think one would have a hard time arguing that N. Korean peasants, for instance, believe they are living through a period of great social progress. The "stans" have seen fits and spurts of progress followed and preceded by lengthy periods of stagnation or reversal. Some areas of Africa are just as oligarchical today as they were 100 years ago. As I said, for hte most part, even the thrid world the 20th was a century of progress. "For the most part" means "this is largely true but there are exceptions." I don't want you to get confused.
    Which Stans? Except for the colony (Afghanistan) they are much better off now than they were 20 years ago. Excepting North Korea it's difficult to say any of the 3rd worlds worse of now than it was in 1900 (and with Korea, the Japanese weren't going to be kind). Unless you are being a TGR lawyer cunt. Oddly, even N. Korea has access to VCRs now. Oh well, this is white men arguing in the 21st century, bend the world to fit your worldview and be a legal douche arguing. China, India, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, even f'/ing Paraguay, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, unsure the exact penetration in AFrica, but is' a revolution. Some douche in Idaho doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    The first generation to perfect the art of doublethink?
    I'm honest about who I am and what I've achieved, which is a lot better than a lot of people I've met. I know plenty of people who are smart and making use of those smarts. I do ok.

Human civilization reaches beyond the solar system as Voyager 1 enters unknown space

More than 35 years after leaving Earth, scientists say the Voyager 1 spacecraft appears to have left our solar system. Astronomers funded by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory today announced their study, reporting that Voyager 1 measured drastic changes in radiation levels — an indication that the spacecraft has left the wind of the Sun's energetic particles behind, traveling into unknown space. In December, scientists observed that Voyager had entered the penultimate stretch of its journey to interstellar space: an area called the "magnetic highway." At the time, NASA predicted that Voyager was anywhere from "a few months to a couple of years away" from leaving the solar system.

Voyagers 1 and 2, launched in 1977 under the Carter administration, were sent to fly to Jupiter, Saturn, and, assuming they could survive long enough, to other planets in the solar system. Voyager 2 successfully reached Neptune in 1989, while Voyager 1 was launched by Saturn's gravity into a new trajectory that has taken it to the edge of our cosmic backyard. While there's no telling when Voyager 1 and 2 will go quiet, they'll still bear marks of human civilization; each spacecraft carries gold-plated disks with representations of photos, music, and messages from Earth. "This is a present from a small distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts, and our feelings," said President Jimmy Carter following the Voyager launch. "We hope someday, having solved the problems we face, to join a community of galactic civilizations."

The astronomers note that scientists are still debating whether Voyager 1 has reached interstellar space, but in any event, the spacecraft has reportedly entered an unknown region. "It's outside the normal heliosphere," says New Mexico State University astronomer W.R. Webber. "We're in a new region. And everything we're measuring is different and exciting."

actually, i think they will have some great things.

in the next 40 years, cancer and aids are likely to be cured.

there are also likely to be break throughs in solar technology to make it so every house is powered by solar at a price anyone can afford to install the solar system.

but i dont know how much credit any individual can take for living during a period of a lot of positive change. most of us barely contribute enough to maintain our existence and will not be missed a year after we're gone. i'd suggest to just enjoy the period youre living thru. the whole world may suck economically for years to come while it deals with the fact its been putting all its expenses on the world credit card, but i'd still take it over having to walk everywhere like they did just 100 years ago.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

you'll always be known for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Picture of Shanghai in 1990 and in 2010:

http://gizmodo.com/5558350/shanghai-...fore-and-after
    Holy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Star Search, and putting forth the notion that shows of this nature are a legitimate measure of talent?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Regardless of your political views or who you did or didn't vote for, this era of the early 21st century in American history will undoubtedly be viewed as a dark period for our country: Unprecedented corruption, a slow but steady degradation of our civil liberties with regard to privacy and the letter of the law as it pertains to the Federal Government's legal boundaries and accountability, several unjustified conflicts with muddled (at best) motives that resulted in hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths and injuries, the financial "meltdown' which we already largely agree was caused by greed, corruption and collusion and perhaps the most crippling period of partisan bullshit in our history, perpetuated by uncontrollable private interest and a muddying of the boundaries between religious belief and government. Our food supply chain is as perilous and dangerous as it ever has been, with the continuing consolidation of Big Ag and Big Food systematically eroding the options we have as consumers to feed ourselves for most Americans within the average means and financial resources. Our financial system has been reminded that they are too big to fail and that when the dust settles after the most blatantly perverse oversight in regulation in the history of our country, literally nobody will be held accountable.

On the positive, technology has allowed for significant leaps forward on several fronts, from energy to IT, medical science to education. The internet has opened at least some degree of education to almost everyone in our country and has also created a level of transparency that allows for truth and multiple perspectives to be widely shared, though not always supported, on almost every topic. Social Medial has allowed for the broadcasting and often overextending of the human ego to a degree that can be both empowering and blatantly overdone. It has also facilitated participation of average citizens in the technological evolution we're witnessing, fueling a demand for further development in both infrastructure and associated technology. In accordance to this socio-technological revolution, your privacy is dead. Aforementioned misappropriation of budget and resources has now caused us to reexamine social policy, such as the legalization of marijuana and the socio political acceptance of gay marriage, the grossly irresponsible and reckless support of the MIC and also our own energy consumption on a micro and macro level--all positive silver linings, no matter what the outcome.

I could go on.

Me? The best damned tasting lamb on the market and a pension for good times involving booze, the outdoors and the best friends a man could ask for. Oh, and a llama named Janet Reno.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

spook Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hist_us_20_ww2_hiroshima_pic_trees.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	135109

those ones and the ones to come