Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tetons

Second hand info:
    The Upper Green,(wyo), fished through the wknd. Reports were of the numbers not size nature. Water clarity and volume is obviously not ideal but fishy enough. Sunny war, temps will have it on the rise for the rest of the week and prolly into the wknd.

The Snake in JH looked almost fishable but that'll go away too if the forecast holds.

Heard Bitch Cr was fishin as was the Fall over the wknd. That might be over for a while though.

Surprisingly, lakes have been average at best from my sources. I was out on Jenny Lake in GTNP over the wknd. Aquarium of fish that were not eating! Jackson has been good at the creek mouths and on warm evenings. Lewis has apparently been slow but picking up.

Looks like day temps will be close to 80 by the end of the wk. That will mud up the freestones and push more anglers to the regional lakes. Hopefully a little warm weather sets the stillwaters on fire!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soad trip 002.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	138477
    Only one of the day but it still put a smile on my face. Fish gulping everywhere. Wind drifting with a sink line took this 3 to 4 pound bruiser. Stillwater around JH. Kinda busy up there too, secret is out.

Been on the Henry's the last 3 days filming promo stuff for work. Fish are pretty shell shocked from the Salmon Fly festivities. Good PMD hatches and nice caddis in the evening but tough overall.

Just spent a few days on the Green and it's going off. Of the dozens of fish we caught, only a handful were less than 18". Hog heaven.

Where on the Green are you talking about, ColMan? Above/below Flaming Gorge? I'm guessing below, but if above: what were you chucking?

As noted elsewhere, I'm headed northward on Thursday in search of trout. We are looking at the upper green and associated stuff, and also the Cody area options, as two possible first destinations on the way to MT. Does anyone have anything current on these?

Also would love to hear of anything else relevant to how to spend Thurs to Saturday, ending up in the Bozeman area. I hear the big bugs finally popped on the Madison, but I figure they'll be a thing of the past by the time we get up there.

Thanks a bunch for any info or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Where on the Green are you talking about, ColMan? Above/below Flaming Gorge? I'm guessing below, but if above: what were you chucking?

As noted elsewhere, I'm headed northward on Thursday in search of trout. We are looking at the upper green and associated stuff, and also the Cody area options, as two possible first destinations on the way to MT. Does anyone have anything current on these?

Also would love to hear of anything else relevant to how to spend Thurs to Saturday, ending up in the Bozeman area. I hear the big bugs finally popped on the Madison, but I figure they'll be a thing of the past by the time we get up there.

Thanks a bunch for any info or suggestions.

Fishing was good on the upper G this wknd. You should do well. Nice time of year to trek to the upper sections....lake down. Some decent size water up there tho. Soft boats are best. Otherwise, campgrounds down will produce.

If you are heading from the upper Green to mt it might be worth a couple hrs on the Hoback since you will be driving next to it for a while. Haven't heard any reports yet but the salmon flies should be starting there too. Definitely a rafting river for floating but there are a ton of access points along the hwy. There are some surprisingly large fish in there at this time of yr.

The Cody area is a gem. Give it a shot. Stop in at North Fork Anglers. They can hook you up with how the floats are doing. Plenty of awesome wade water too.

Henry's and Fork are both stupid right now.

Nice! These are the kind of reports that make me happy.

schwerty - were you tossing dries on the G? This morning I spoke with the two shops in town (the two I know of, anyway) and they reported that it's picking up but that the dry fly action isn't fully on yet (maybe closer to it on the NF than the G).

I also spoke with North Fork earlier, and it sounds similar -- real close to on, but not quite. We're pretty fired up to check out that area, so hope it works out either northbound or southbound. Haven't been there before.

snapt, same question for you… Are you talking dry flies on Henry's and the SF?

Thanks!

The big bugs are out on the south fork. Twitching dries should be the ticket. Hang one under too.

Nymphs and streamers mostly on the upper green.
    The New Fork might be starting to produce with dries?? I go there armed with big box of monster streamers and a small box of dries, just in case. Good hatches but its big streamer, big fish water for me. So, I don't keep up with the dry action.

Yep, caddis as well as pmd's, and sallys on the Hank. Bigguns on the Fork, along with everything (and everyone!) else. good times.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1372130580.889187.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	139082

Caddis were off the hook this weekend on the Salt.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Below FG. The B section is/was on fire. Quite a few large (buzzing) Cicadas. We were hucking the biggest dries (#4-8) we had with constant hookups. A section was a complete shitshow with boats stacked up 2-3 deep at the put in (on a Monday). It's worth the extra time and shuttle fee to float the B right now. Much larger fish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Below FG. The B section is/was on fire. Quite a few large (buzzing) Cicadas. We were hucking the biggest dries (#4-8) we had with constant hookups. A section was a complete shitshow with boats stacked up 2-3 deep at the put in (on a Monday). It's worth the extra time and shuttle fee to float the B right now. Much larger fish as well.
    ^ this is true, but don't tell anyone because I love my solitude.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Typical brown:

The bows are fat and happy:

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    hit font last fri w/ mountain goat and his bro pretty varied hatchs mayflies, cadis a few big drakes and a few sallies good till

did pretty well sat morn dawn patrol tossin big junk.
    headed down to dj phenomenal fishin= phenomenal crowds not to often both the ixing and tfb lot is full
    best ciciada fishin since the turn of the century and fire

managed to snag the last river fs camp and headed back tom. be at pugs p weds-sat unless it gets to hot. i love that camp but those rocks take a while to dissipate heat.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Creek fishing has been good in the Jackson area. Hit up crystal a couple days ago and it was pretty good, a little high and fast yet but not a soul to be seen

We are just off the Smith, and presumably quite close to the last group to get on (put in on the 30th at 230 cfs, now it's under 170). The water temps were super high, and the fishing mostly slow but fun. Great times though, and a beautiful place. Except for the punk bear at Black Butte, who can officially (but not literally) bite me.

Before that, a couple good but not amazing days on the Big Hole and Madison. Timing wasn't quite prime for the bugs.

Now we are contemplating options for the next few days. Might start with the upper Yellowstone tomorrow. Any recommendations, particularly on good dry fly options, would be much appreciated -- BOZ, Jackson, ID, southward back toward CO... Thanks.

water temps were super high

Any recommendations...

Yeah. When the water temps are "super high" don't fucking fish for trout. Tis not good for them.

Fear not, underoos. We were getting on the river early each day, monitoring temps, and quitting fishing by mid day or so.

yellowstone cut

As Skifishbum has said earlier the Green is going OFF. Had a great day throwing a cicada the size of my fist with a size 16 yellow Sally dropper

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1373689458.452958.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	139442

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1373689480.383061.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	139443

Good work T! Our sections of the green are fishin well too. Going to hit the upper most section of the river tomorrow. Outta be good.

Still waitin to hear. Gettin antsy. Kinda like Xmas as a kid.

The Green followed suit and fished extremely well all wknd on the upper sections, (lake to Warren bridge). The flows are jut enough to skate a hard boat through the rock gardens from camp 10 - bridge. Not sure about bridge to hatch. We bashed a few rocks on the larger drops. Another 10 days and I'd be in a raft up there. Flexible bottom hard boats, might get a few wks from 8-bridge.
    As is typical this time of year, the river is dynamite from first light til 11 or so. Much tougher through the heat of the day and then fishes well right at sunset. Smorgasbord of bugs. Caddis of all shapes, sizes and colors, a couple flavors of drakes, midges, goldens, and even a few salmon flies.

The Snake in JH: flows outta the dam are around 5k! The river is probably fishing ok in the canyon and in the side channels up on GTNP but honestly, I haven't found anyone that has fished it. Tough for the area outfitters! Way too high.

I fished Wilson to South Park a about ten days ago. Caught a fair amount of fish but only one topped 11 inches. Ive heard its till like that. Heading mup to my favorite little lake wed. AM. should be good with the damselflies hatching and attention in JH diverted back to rivers and streams. Having so much fun fishing AND catching this year! Learning curve has jumped way up the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    I fished Wilson to South Park a about ten days ago. Caught a fair amount of fish but only one topped 11 inches. Ive heard its till like that. Heading mup to my favorite little lake wed. AM. should be good with the damselflies hatching and attention in JH diverted back to rivers and streams. Having so much fun fishing AND catching this year! Learning curve has jumped way up the last few years.
    That stretch is good at producing lots of small fish. A few nice side channels offer better chances for larger cutts. If you can, go late while we have light til 9:30+. The crowds dissipate and there are actually some decent caddis hatches.