10wt suggestions?

So my parents have a place on the Indian River in FL now. Sweet for me. I'm looking to get a salt set-up for reds, baby tarpon, sea trout, pampano and the rest on the aquarium one may catch down there. I don't neccessarily need "budget" but based on the use it will see plus my general jong-ness in the salt, I don't need top dollar.

Is there anywhere besided Cabelas that sells combos? I'm thinking something like this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980

TFO TiCr X if you don't want to break the bank. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...ods/ticrx.html

But you should really get a Sage Xi3 or maybe TCX.

If you want to try out a not-super-fast rod, I just got a 10wt Wintson Biix. You can give her a whirl if you want.

Also, I have a big ass Okuma piece of shit reel if you want it for free.

TFO and Winston, you work for Elhert? Seems like everyone around here is getting of the Scott train for Winston. I really like my Sage trout rod so maybe I'll give those a look.

[QUOTE=Underoos;3942415]TFO TiCr X if you don't want to break the bank. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...ods/ticrx.html

But you should really get a Sage Xi3 or maybe TCX.

QUOTE]

The TICRX was a nice rod...10 years ago. I really like the Redington Predator for the same price. It's a gun and has carbon wrapped ferrules making it dman near unbreakable. It took a 100lb tarpon to make me feel undergunned with it.

If you have the funds the Sage ONE 1090 is sweet too, more castable all day than the Xi3 or TCX in my opinion without sacrificing to much lifting/fighting power.

Here's me getting the middle fin with the Predator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	predator.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	134927

I've done some trips and other things for him in the past, but I wouldn't say I work for him. I guide mostly for DTR these days.
    I don't know much about TFO, but I know a few salt guys that fish that model.
    I kind of fell into the Winston 10wt. I have a trip planned for mud season and the rod came up for $175 so I snagged it.
    I fished a Sage Xi2 8wt in the Bahamas a while ago and I fucking loved that rod. I'd get a used one or an Xi3 in a heartbeat if I found a good deal.

Most of the rods I fish with are junk, so by debating technical prowess of different models I may be barking up the wrong tree. I'm also pretty ignorant of the latest trends. And my casting stroke is a bit slow so my preferences are different than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    If you have the funds the Sage ONE 1090 is sweet too, more castable all day than the Xi3 or TCX in my opinion without sacrificing to much lifting/fighting power.
    I don't really get why "castable all day" is so great for a rod meant for fishing salt water. How often are you casting all day from the front of a skiff? I can see some situations where you're blind fishing and casting a lot, but in my limited salt experience fatigue from casting is a non-issue. Now, if I were musky fishing "castable all day" would be a big fucking deal.

And fuck the Sage ONE. I fucking hate those things. Last week I fished a 9 for 6 with a 6 line. I couldn't load it. My buddy had a 9'6" for 6, but with an 8 line. That was a much better setup. Lining the rod up 2 sizes just to get a decent perry poke is bullshit.

Learn to cast?
    Not sure how you can recomend a TCX and then hate the ONE but to each their own I guess.

I'm fishing a 8'8" Scott S3S and a 9' Sage Xi2. I guess that I'm too cheap to upgrade right now.

If I was going to get another 10 weight, I'd be looking at a Hardy ProAxis. It is one of the lighter rods in the category. It is very accurate. It has tons of strength.

Here are a couple of videos.

I have been fishing a Hardy ProAxis 8 weight as my Striped Bass rod. It has as much punch in the wind as some of the premium 9 weights. It also has a ton of lifting power to horse around some large fish.

As for saltwater reels. Don't fuck around. Get a Tibor or an Abel.

For the fish that you listed, a 10 weight is overkill. You can get by with an 8 or a 9. If you want a rod "for the rest of the aquarium," then consider a 10. What you may want to do is check what the locals are using for their rigs and match accordingly.

Dennis

If you want to CATCH, just get a redbone 7-14 spinner with a Daiwa or Shimano reel.
    Snook are pretty smart. Catching them on the fly is a challenge, even for those of us that try A LOT.

Redfish are a bit easier, but you will need a kayak or boat to find them.

Have you looked at the largemouth Sage setup? I forget the series, but the largemouth setup comes with a short rod, reel, and perfect line for largemouth. It is used pretty regularly around here for Snook on the docks. I would imagine it would be pretty perfect for Reds too.

Edit- here it is:
    http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/specialty/bass-ii/

I would go with the Largemouth or the Peacock edition. Perfect for what you are looking to do, but also useful for lakes too. That price for rod, line, reel, and case is pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Have you looked at the largemouth Sage setup? I forget the series, but the largemouth setup comes with a short rod, reel, and perfect line for largemouth. It is used pretty regularly around here for Snook on the docks. I would imagine it would be pretty perfect for Reds too.

Edit- here it is:
    http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/specialty/bass-ii/

I would go with the Largemouth or the Peacock edition. Perfect for what you are looking to do, but also useful for lakes too. That price for rod, line, reel, and case is pretty good too.
    That doesn't include a reel...Great pure mangroves setup, too short for a good flats rod.

Thought it included reel. Guess I was wrong.

Yeah, you might not want to try to cast it too long, but mangroves and docks are where Snook and Redfish tend to be.
    All around rod, I would be in the 8 or 9 wt region. I have a 10 that I hardly use.

The TICRX was a nice rod...10 years ago. I really like the Redington Predator for the same price.

Wow the Redington is that much nicer?

I have the 9 wt Ti Cr X loaded w/ 10 line, and I love it. I thought a 9 was the right rod for the OP's species, btw.

Also I've spent many days at the front of the skiff blind? casting all day to mangroves, or all day in Hawaii blind casting the deep flats, casting to deep channels for stripers/blues, etc. Sometimes you're out fishing, and you can't see shit, (rain, whatever), so what, why go home?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

With fishing gear I buy I plan on using it for a very long time. Customer service is also a big selling point for me. I have been very very pleased with sage rods and the tibor reels. More on the pricy side but I think you get what you pay for. I have been on bones, blue and golden trevalley, stripers and other odd things with a riptide and If I do go or a 12 to target football tuna I am buying sage/tibor. Good luck and have fun
    just my .02
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

My Dad's got the boat and the spinning gear covered. Interesting about the 8/9/10 decision. I'm just going with what why friends are suggestions for an all around salt set up. We usually do a combo of spinning and fly depending on if dinner is in the boat yet. Also do a lot of blind casting because we don't know the area really good yet and when I'm there we go out every day regardless of whether it is "good" or not.

I'm selling a very slightly used Winston BiiX for $300 that I bought for a trip, but never used. I bought it from someone else who did the exact same thing. It's in great condition, see here:
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8849...ston-biix-10wt
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    We usually do a combo of spinning and fly depending on if dinner is in the boat yet.
    That is the right formula. Any given hour, they will bite a fly, but not touch live bait or a jig, and vice versa. Shrimp patterns stripped with the tide work well for blind casting. The more structure the tide has to go around, the better. Snook are ambush hunters. Find a nice flat with a good combo of light sand patches, and grass, and just drift it. Cast a shrimp pattern, or a red head, white body clouser pattern for Sea Trout. Any clouser pattern really, I just find the red and white works the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    I'm selling a very slightly used Winston BiiX for $300 that I bought for a trip, but never used. I bought it from someone else who did the exact same thing. It's in great condition, see here:
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8849...ston-biix-10wt
    That'd be a nice rod, light and not overly powerful compared to some otheres so it might be a good compromise between a 9&10. Solid Deal.

I can't reccomend the beulah bluewaters enough for shear fish stopping power. Also they cast shooting heads a long freaking ways
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care