Suspension air bags for a tacoma

2008, standard/long bed.

Between camping trips and carrying my sled around and just plain empty, I don't want to throw leaf springs in because I kind of like the way it rides on the highway unloaded.

Got any favorite airbags? Any brands to stay away from? I don't need an on board compressor.

Thanks!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

bump, cuz I'll be adding some soon too.

I've had some Firestones on my 2007 for just over a year now - no leaks, no issues to date.

Have a pop-up camper and they beef up the rear-end when the camper is on, but when off, I keep them at about 15PSI and the truck drives just the same as it did pre-airbag

I put airbags in the back of my 99 4runner. I air them up more seasonally when I carry my dirtbike on the rear hitch or load up the vehicle when camping. The tongue weight of the trailer with sled isn't enough to need them aired up as much in the winter. Sorry, I cannot remember who makes them and I cannot read anything on them in the coil springs but they are red. You will need a different version with leaf springs though

I routed the filler tube to a friendly-to-use place on the bumper. The schrader valve is protected by the aftermarket hitch

After I installed mine, I wished I had an air gauge installed. not a big deal though.

I would also go to Yotatech and see what people are recommending for your truck

Sounds like the firestone ones are pretty solid. Lots of complaints of leaking and actually popping with some of the off-brands.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I had the firestones on a tundra with a camper, they are fine on road but off road the mounting bolts that attach around the leafs would break frequently. The bracket that holds the bottom of the airbag to the leaf u-bolt would also bend quite easily. They are fine for street use but need a more robust mount if you do a lot of washboarded roads.

I have had the Air Lift on the tundra for a year. No problems as of yet.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    I had the firestones on a tundra with a camper, they are fine on road but off road the mounting bolts that attach around the leafs would break frequently. The bracket that holds the bottom of the airbag to the leaf u-bolt would also bend quite easily. They are fine for street use but need a more robust mount if you do a lot of washboarded roads.
    Good to know.

Seems pretty easy to beef up some fasteners though. But hell yeah, part of living near the desert is hauling 3 days of booze, living quarters, and some heavy things that go 'boom' 100 miles off of pavement for a weekend.

I threw some Firestones on my Wrangler a few years ago. Once I found the proper pressure, the handing improved greatly. The Jeep left the factory with a soft top and soft springs, which were overwhelmed with a hard top, bikes, and camping gear. The install was quick and easy, and haven't leaked since. I fabbed up a mount for the valves for easy access. I've got a couple of 1st generation Expeditions in my work fleet that are pushing 4 tons. They are all on their second set of bags at over 300k miles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8566762147_32f04eeaa1_b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	134915  

I had some Firestones on an F150 a few years back. They had a slow leak, but it wasn't worth getting worked up about.

Ride was sure bouncy if you filled them too much and ran empty though.

If I were to get a vehicle with them again, I'd travel with a portable compressor.
    Last edited by Caucasian Asian; 03-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot