Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1173
    Silas was the one cunting up the operation, and Lars didn't make things right, FWIW. I have no idea who fucked up the tech toe mod though, maybe that was Bubba.

They said they'd get the boots done on such-and-such date, and on that date they printed the shipping label and sent the tracking #. 2 weeks later it still hadn't been shipped, and I called them out on it. They were off skiing with the boys and completely left me hanging, and didn't have the stones to simply call/text/e-mail to tell me what was going on. Poor form. They didn't like getting called out on it, and resorted to expletives of a paying customer.

I thought maybe it was a stray data point, and referred a buddy of mine to them. He had a similar experience, a month later. That's when I knew the data point wasn't a stray.

All I can do is continue to spread the 411 on my experience with these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    TBH I always felt like CAST was at lot better at making toys for their bros than they were at running a business based on the needs of their customers.

They better knock it out of the park on the next iteration because the newer freeride oriented tech bindings coming out are getting real close to making CAST obsolete.
    'Toys for their bros?' If you and your friends were some of the best skiers in the world who kept breaking Dukes and Guardians, and Dynafits won't keep you in, wouldn't you try to figure out a better system? Lars came up with a better system, and we got CAST S&I. Is it perfect? No, is it better then what we had before, I think so. Maybe you should have some faith that what's coming will be even better, instead of trashing a small business owner on the Internet.

'They better hit it out of the park...?' If they did no innovation, CAST S&I would still be better for skiing hard runs then frame bindings/Dynafits/Kinpins. Kingpins are close, but a tech toe will never be an 12/14/16/18 din toe.

Give Lars time to update the website, get the product out, and then judge. I do know you will not have to drill new holes for the new system, the existing holes will work, just as they do for the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Sweet!

Thanks!

I wonder if you could stick a heel lifter from a splitboard between them and get what we're talking about: dynafit toe only for the up, alpine bindings down
    Maybe even drill/tap the switch d fit heel plate to mount a G3 double stage telemark heel lifter when you're switching back to Alpine's at the top.lots of room around a dynafit heel pattern for one of those tele heel lifters
    CAST and/or SWITCH(if it even happens) should consider 2 hole patterns on the plates that mount to the skis. Like bf plates. Could help sales if there's a hole conflict. If you have skis already with dynafits or alpine, should be good either way. Sollyfit CAST, dyna/guardian SWITCH etc. All insert compatible

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Maybe even drill/tap the switch d fit heel plate to mount a G3 double stage telemark heel lifter when you're switching back to Alpine's at the top.lots of room around a dynafit heel pattern for one of those tele heel lifters
    CAST and/or SWITCH(if it even happens) should consider 2 hole patterns on the plates that mount to the skis. Like bf plates. Could help sales if there's a hole conflict. If you have skis already with dynafits or alpine, should be good either way. Sollyfit CAST, dyna/guardian SWITCH etc. All insert compatible
    The nice thing about CAST is you do not have to drill more or different holes for your current bindings. The holes on the toe and heel plates match your binding of choice. I mainly ski Look Pivot 18s, and can move my set of plates around to any pair of skis, using the same holes. No need to invent a new hole pattern that doesn't conflict with another binding, if you stick to one binding type.

I'll ask about a heel plate that lets you put the heel pice in your backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    The nice thing about CAST is you do not have to drill more or different holes for your current bindings. The holes on the toe and heel plates match your binding of choice. I mainly ski Look Pivot 18s, and can move my set of plates around to any pair of skis, using the same holes. No need to invent a new hole pattern that doesn't conflict with another binding, if you stick to one binding type.

I'll ask about a heel plate that lets you put the heel pice in your backpack.
    Ya that's nice. I have cast sth setup. Often thought it'd be nice if the ski plates also had holes for my dynafits so I could use them on my tech mounted skis. As discussed in length early in the thread, it'd also be better if the holes were more compatible with insert size. I'd probably buy another set because of that and stick them on a ski. I don't use inserts on all my skis but I do on a few pairs.Great for daily duty or as a back up when needed. I'm happy with my system as it is but those tweaks would be sweet and more attractive for potential customers. Thanks for inquiring on the heel removal option. That would be more than just a tweak . That's probably the biggest weight difference between a straight dynafit set up and cast. CAST tours "pintech nice" but definitely feel the weight

New design up on Cast's instagram. Looks interesting.

https://instagram.com/p/BR63AWDB2vD/

That looks like an icing nightmare.

Really? Looks less susceptible than most tech bindings imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Really? Looks less susceptible than most tech bindings imo.
    Yes.

I design stuff using shoulder screws in slots all the time. They are a bitch to get right and require tight tolerances to be easy to manipulate by hand, yet still take all the slop out of the connection. It won't take much ice buildup to fuck with it.

That said, I ain't tried them.

Have ya used the plates?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Have ya used the plates?
    I had about 40 days on them in the NE, not a huge sample size by any means but I never had any serious problems with ice where I couldn't get a plate in or out. Part of that may have been due to the generally shorter tour distances than what you'd find out west. I dunno

New design looks sleek!

Yes.

I design stuff using shoulder screws in slots all the time. They are a bitch to get right and require tight tolerances to be easy to manipulate by hand, yet still take all the slop out of the connection. It won't take much ice buildup to fuck with it.

That said, I ain't tried them.
    Right, but it looks like all the spaces are quite exposed and naturally clean themselves by using it (placing the holes on the screws, etc.).

Lars has been on the new system all year. I asked about the icing issue, and he said he has not had any trouble this winter.

As it was mentioned before, now it all comes to pricing. If the system will cost under 200-250 - it is a really interesting opportunity, if higher... its niche market will be even smaller, taking in account that potential comptetitor from switchski costs around 150bucks and that Beasts or Vipecs can be found for 300-350.

A few engineering tricks could solve the icing problem, and the slop problem.

Icing? A cap.

Slop? A pivoting, variable radius screw that could lock that toe piece in place... mounted behind the toe base.

It's rad to see prototyping in this direction, for sure. Keep going, boys!

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Lars has been on the new system all year. I asked about the icing issue, and he said he has not had any trouble this winter.
    What's he got going on for the heels? Still dragging a 30lb pivot heel on it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

When you're young and have 3 lungs 30lbs is ez. Touring with some youngsters yesterday. One on free rides , alpine boots with boot heaters complete with 2 lb batteries. No prob/no no no

I'm intrigued. I have and still use the original CAST system. This will probably have less issues with icing than the original IMO. The main issue with the original IMO was snow getting up under the track, no issue with that here. Moreover it sounds like from the comments they have a solution for the brakes which is more of my beef. Two level risers? Fine. I never missed it much but I tend to not use risers until it's fairly steep.

yeah, this new version looks pretty good.
    I had the first system for Marker, then for STH. It sucked for marker (BIGTIME icing, and bent plate), but it was pretty damn good for the STH. Sold out of all that gear though, but I'd be happy to get another setup. Pretty perfect for the inbounds-with-one-slackcountry-lap days.
    It's a pretty clever solution to actually replace the stock baseplate, instead of just adding to existing full bindings.

Hopefully they make the new ones for STH too!

Boots have been the major holdback for these sorts of crossover system, but now the boots are coming along well enough that you can get a solid option for most feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    It's a pretty clever solution to actually replace the stock baseplate, instead of just adding to existing full bindings.
    that's probably the coolest part. virtually no added height and minimal weight gain

Boots have been the major holdback for these sorts of crossover system, but now the boots are coming along well enough that you can get a solid option for most feet.
    I'm waiting for the Lange XT to get a tech insert, then we're talkin.

My old pos Dalbellos are still going strong with the Cast inserts. Maybe I'll just have them hack up new XTs

edit: ^Ignore all that, looks like they're making it now..

what grinch said, but, wouldn't it be possible to do the same with pins in the rear? just have the lifters attached to whatever base plate stays on the ski. might be more difficult on the fks platform

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I'm waiting for the Lange XT to get a tech insert, then we're talkin.
    Why not just get the freetour xt's?

No plans currently for a heel system. Just not the demand and the R&D time has been put into the new system. I'll keep on Lars about it and see if I can sway him.

For boot issues, the boys worked with Look to make a WTR ADF plate so you can get boots with preinstalled tech toes. Silas has been in Lange XT Freetours all season with no issues. I'm in the same boot and it makes touring much easier then in RS140s (RIP to the Lange RS140).

With all the upgrades to boot technology, hybrid systems are becoming less painful to tour with. Lighter boots, lighter systems, and better skis will allow us to make less compromises for touring. The upgrades CAST plates, XT Freetours, and new lighter ski, and touring for pow becomes more fun with less pain.

This seems different and cool enough, I started a new thread to discuss the new version of the system... let's see if it gains traction.
    Last edited by snoboy; 03-26-2017 at 09:55 PM.