Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47
Results 1,151 to 1,173 of 1173
    I asked this in the new freetour thread and snoboy politely steered me to this one. I read through a lot of it but must have missed it.
    Are the cast holes for mounting to the ski the same as the sth pattern? Both toe and heel? Reason I ask is a want to ski the pie of skis this is going on but my cast system won’t be here far a while. I would like to mount up the sth bindings then drop the cast on them when they arrive. Is this possible without drilling more holes?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I asked this in the new freetour thread and snoboy politely steered me to this one. I read through a lot of it but must have missed it.
    Are the cast holes for mounting to the ski the same as the sth pattern? Both toe and heel? Reason I ask is a want to ski the pie of skis this is going on but my cast system won’t be here far a while. I would like to mount up the sth bindings then drop the cast on them when they arrive. Is this possible without drilling more holes?
    Yes. See my post in the other thread. Ask away if my rambling didn’t make sense

has anybody mounted a solly 914 on an STH cast plate?
    I wanted to switch my STH16 toe for the 914 toe, because the latter has a sliding AFD, so it will be a bit safer to use with touring soles. However, it turns out the little plastic plate around the toe piece of the 914 toe extends further forward and sideways, making it incompatible with the cast plate (see second pic, first is the STH16 toe).
    I am thinking of grinding the plastic down so it will fit within the cast confinement. Is there anything that speaks against this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	301719
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	301720

I ground it down with a bench grinder and finished it off with sandpaper, works fine!

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

Me too

I just cut and ground it off
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Cool. Was a bit worried it might be less stable because it is not solid plastic, but seems like you didnt experience any issues there?
    Goin to be a sweet MNC compatible CAST setup!

Just grind it off, won't hurt a thing.

No issues at all !

Gravity always wins...

Did you also find the same machine screws for the toe piece didnt work with the 914? front two too long, rear two too short? only about a mm or so but still....

Yeah, the bench grinder was handy for that also

Gravity always wins...

That's right, the metal Soli toe pedestal screws aren't the same length as the screws for plastic pedestals. You'll have to get new M6 screws and cut/grind the length and grind down the head diameter.

^And on that note, make sure you grind them down a lot. They may look flush but they will stick on the magnesium baseplate and make sliding them in and out more difficult than it needs to be.

Slamming them in gives you a nice magnesium smell though. It might remind you of skateboarding grinds on concrete coping with magnesium trucks. mmmmmmm....memories
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

ressurecting this thred. Found Cast 1.0 setup very cheap, but without dynafit toe pieces. Trying to figure out what toe pieces work with Cast 1.0. Can someone school me on this? Any dynafit toes work? I recently saw used dynafit superlite 1.0 toes - will they be any good? And what about Rotation 12 toes?

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    ressurecting this thred. Found Cast 1.0 setup very cheap, but without dynafit toe pieces. Trying to figure out what toe pieces work with Cast 1.0. Can someone school me on this? Any dynafit toes work? I recently saw used dynafit superlite 1.0 toes - will they be any good? And what about Rotation 12 toes?
    They're designed around the original Radical toe. If the superlites use the same mount pattern they'll probably work. I don't have much faith that the Rotations would work, the rotations have extra plates and moving parts that could get in the way of the CAST plates.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post
    They're designed around the original Radical toe. If the superlites use the same mount pattern they'll probably work. I don't have much faith that the Rotations would work, the rotations have extra plates and moving parts that could get in the way of the CAST plates.
    Thanks! Found mount patters on skimo, apparently original Radical mount pattern is still on Speed Turn 2.0, Superlite 2.0/175, Speed/Speedfit, Expedition and some others. Will look for these toes. Rotations definitely won't work, they have different pattern.

Speaking of radical toes, I'm guessing the toe that came with the original CAST system was designed with an ISO 9523 sole in mind, and not an ISO 5355 sole. I've got Lange XT 130s with inserts, but 5355 soles. The dynafit toe works, in that I can get the pins lined up with the inserts and locked in place, but it's definitely not a "line the boot up with the power towers and stomp into place" kinda thing like dynafit makes it seem like in the description on their site. Is there a way to shim the toe piece somehow to make stepping in easier? Not a huge deal since transitioning with a CAST setup is never gonna be a speedy endeavor anyway; mostly just curious.

That’s totally dependant on the dynafit toes and no way related to them being mounted on a cast plate, it would be the exact same way with that toe mounted on a ski.

Seeing as the guide towers are attached to the toe you can’t do anything about it, all a shim will do it change to delta it won’t help align your pins better.

Yup, totally aware it's got nothing to do with the cast plate specifically, other than it's the dynafit toe that came with them. Posted in this thread and not elsewhere figuring given the use case of this setup, there were probably others using it with DIN soled boots and might have run into the same thing. Not really a big deal at the end of the day; I was mostly just curious if I was doing something wrong and being an idiot.

I've got a set old SI&I system for a Pivot 18 lying around and I'm thinking of using it with some Pivot 12's for my wife or kid (both below the P18 DIN).

Couldn't find it in here, but I vaguely recall that the mounting plates for the P18 would work with a P12, but some trimming of the plastic base on the P12 was needed. At some point I think Cast even had a template for trimming the plastic.

Anyone remember if using the P12 is doable or have a copy of a trimming template?

Could you please send me the template or any other instructions you had for the modification?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lab View Post
    I've got a set old SI&I system for a Pivot 18 lying around and I'm thinking of using it with some Pivot 12's for my wife or kid (both below the P18 DIN).

Couldn't find it in here, but I vaguely recall that the mounting plates for the P18 would work with a P12, but some trimming of the plastic base on the P12 was needed. At some point I think Cast even had a template for trimming the plastic.

Anyone remember if using the P12 is doable or have a copy of a trimming template?

Could you please send me the template or any other instructions you had for the modification?
    Call CAST. Or shoot them an email. They are pretty responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Call CAST. Or shoot them an email. They are pretty responsive.
    Yeah, I should have said I had already tried that. No response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lab View Post
    Yeah, I should have said I had already tried that. No response.
    Why not just mount a toe on the base plate and see where it overhangs/interferes with the base. Mark it with a silver sharpie and trim if it looks safe?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Cast got back to me. Answer for posterity is that it can be done. The p12 baseplate does have to be trimmed because it’s longer than the p18 baseplate. At some point they had a template they included in the box but you could probably also use P18 baseplate as a template if you’ve got one.