Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I was just a 9 year old kid but I clearly recall spending most weekends in the winter of 1971 at the Penguin Ski Club in Bartlett. Bunk beds, bumper pool and playing Jeremiah was a Bullfrog over and over on the jukebox. I didn't know it then but I'm pretty sure that my parents were getting stoned while we had the run of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    At the same time my dad was rocking 210+ Rossi Stratos, Look Nevadas, (don't know about the boots), stretch pants, I Ski sunglasses, and a red white and blue headband. I wasn't skiing yet, but I did ski those stratos later as hand-me-downs (In my own bright red stretch bibs!).
    You may be the son I never knew.

This belongs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Yes, we skied in jeans.
    Core. I was city/prep: when I worked bowl patrol (toilet cleaning with freeskiing afternoons) at JH '79--80, I wore LL Bean cotton corduroys w/sweatpants as underwear, cotton white tubesocks, and cotton turtlenecks every day save the employee downhill, when I wore my stretchy nordic knickers... for drag reduction I suppose. I was warm and comfy with all that cotton. If it was really cold I'd add another shell or piece o'cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Nope. Jet Sticks were available in 1969, maybe even 1968. I remember distinctly being @ JH in 69 and there were piles of them around. I had my own pair which I used to fall down Corbets (I was 13).
    I know, I just didn't get them till a few years later. Cheetas I think. I finally ditched them for the Hansons after they folded the backs of my cabers; couldn't withstand the stresses of my xtreme tailgunner skillz.

My brothers corrected me; dad had superglass's and nordicas (red, but don't know the model).

Anybody skied scott boots? I remember thinking they looked cool (like bellbottoms) but looking back, there wasn't much to them. They had to be light, but prolly pretty soft and easy to break. Can anybody confirm this?
    Last edited by bendtheski; 03-14-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

leather boots (with buckles)
    cable bindings
    yup. skied then.
    mountain biked then too, only that hadn't been invented yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Anybody skied scott boots? I remember thinking they looked cool (like bellbottoms) but looking back, there wasn't much to them. They had to be light, but prolly pretty soft and easy to break. Can anybody confirm this?
    My older brother had them in the mid '70s. They looked like these -

IIRC he actually liked them, but I remember him pre-heating them with a hair dryer, so how good could they have been?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    This belongs here.

Milkin' the mutherfuckin' giraffe!!!

Hanson boots @1:53

^^^ Face shots R us

Did not get to skiing until 76-77, too busy chasing girls.
    Last edited by scottyb; 03-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    My older brother had them in the mid '70s. They looked like these -

IIRC he actually liked them, but I remember him pre-heating them with a hair dryer, so how good could they have been?
    ^No worse than jeans for cold weather performance I suppose.
    Used to spray silicone into the Hansons to get them on. Foam rubber liners would dry-rot after 2-3 seasons and finally tossed 'em out. Had one other pair of rear entry boots; Solly SX-90's, then flexons, then lange, now kryptons.

Found this digging around; Raichle circa 1971:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raichle fiber jets.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	134729

Anybody remember/own high boots?

Name:	high_boots.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	481.8 KB 
ID:	134730

Top of the line skis back then were a whole lot burlier and stiffer than most skis today. If you pointed them straight not much would stop them, turning was a completely different story. Think current race stock GS skis w/o the sidecut or tuned flex.

Cool kids had Langes or Scotts plastic boots, Look turntables. Leather buckle boots where still pretty common. They were stiffer than you might think, but the stiffness ended just above the ankle. Kind of like skiing Dynafit TLT4's, but about 4 lbs heavier.

All the "rebels" were into bump skiing. Moguls were the terrain parks of the 70's.

I had Scott Superhots. (Like those stormtrooper boots, but taller.) The base "peeled" off twice, (cue Napoleon Dynamite - doing some sick jumps), and got replaced, and then the 3rd pair I got were 1 piece, and they held up till whatever boot I got next. I broke soooooo much shit back then. Still do, I guess.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Used to spray silicone into the Hansons to get them on.
    I went on a ski trip (can't remember the year - maybe 1980?) that was organized by my school and chaperoned by a few teachers and parents. My math teacher - who looked like a blonde Mr Kotter - rocked the Hansons, and a shinny purple fartbag. And he ripped. Zipperlining bumps, racing kids down the groomers, and taking a select few of us tree-skiing on the one pow day (some minor rope ducking may have been involved). Forever changed my perspective on that guy, and maybe teachers in general (definitely not math though).

I'm also 90% sure that the football coach nailed the principal's 20-something daughter, but that's another story.

pre '71 -
    Leather boots, wood skis, cable bindings. This photo recently surfaced of me circa 1968/9-ish:

Name:	75710002_2.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	134734

Next up, 1971-ish was Hart Hornet skis, Look Nevadas, kept the leather boots I think. A couple of years later added the famous Kastinger Boot which was a knockoff of the Nordica Banana boot which was the boot to have at that time.

1974 - ish went to Olin Mark V (maybe lV) skis, bought used. Not long after I did indeed acquire a pair of the Scott boots. They absolutely sucked but were very steezy. I eyeballed the remount of the Nevadas on the Olins in my dad's shop with a hand drill.

Early 80's or so was a big step up in equipment. Working the bar at a ski area allowed me to buy Lange Tii's which I used for 25 years (must have had a fetish for yellow boots), and a pair each of Rossi 3G (207) and 4S (203) skis which I simply adored. Still have the custom footbed's I traded for the area's booze. Sorry about that XXXXXX!

Found this digging around; Raichle circa 1971:
    Hey. I have a pair of those.

They weren't skied by me in 1971 though.

I think it's a boot concept that should come back... think of the Hoji style modifications that'd be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I skied Alta in 71 on Kastinger boots, K2 three skis and Look Nevada's. The Performers in those vids were some of the best skiers in the world. There were not many really good skiers and a lot more gapers. The high t didn't see much traffic at all, couple of people a day tops. High Rustler had maybe ten tracks a week after a storm.

In 1971 I was rocking Northland wood skis with Cubco bindings at Snow Ridge in Turin, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I skied Alta in 71 on Kastinger boots, K2 three skis and Look Nevada's. The Performers in those vids were some of the best skiers in the world. There were not many really good skiers and a lot more gapers. The high t didn't see much traffic at all, couple of people a day tops. High Rustler had maybe ten tracks a week after a storm.
    and most of us were a lot closer to the 'gaper' category than the 'good' category!

First time on skis at Boreal Ridge, I was handed some Volkl Zebras. http://www.rpk4.com/product/1969-197...zebra-ski.html

'70's were good times. Stretch pants on the girls, bota bags, Astral Tunes, etc.

If memory serves, I was on Yamaha skis with some of the first Salomon step-ins (101? 202?) and leather buckle-up Raichles. We skied Mt. Sunapee in NH and checked the grooming report to get the fresh cord.

sheesh, talk about a flood of memories.

Dad taught me to drink from a bota bag when I was around 12-13 skiing at Schweitzer. I was smart enough not to mention it to my mom, not sure Cayusette would have the same sense if I taught her on a nice day this spring and Mrs. Cayuse would not be happy.

You guys are old. I wasn't even a twinkle in my parent's eye.

Ski equipment has gone up. $20 in '64 is $150 today, adjusted for inflation. $150 doesn't buy much new ski gear today.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    my dad had those and I was jealous

My first season started Nov-Dec 1971 on some homemade skis without metal edges that my dad made and tiny leather boots, a couple of months before I turned 2. A life long obsession that began very early in life.

edit: Kids Lift ticket at Whistler in 1974 was $3.00 CDN.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by tsproul View Post
    You guys are old. I wasn't even a twinkle in my parent's eye.

Ski equipment has gone up. $20 in '64 is $150 today, adjusted for inflation. $150 doesn't buy much new ski gear today.
    Damn straight we're old and you can only hope that you ski half as hard when you're twice as old as you are now. Word!

It is a shame on the price of stuff. Sheeeit ,a new AT rig is more than a $1000!