Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MTB jong question

Why 29ers? Should I buy one?

You should get a BMX bike.

C'mon man... just google 29er and you'll get an answer.

Short answer: The larger wheel helps you pedal, and travel more efficiently while climbing and especially while traveling over obstacles such as large rocks.

650b is the next level. If you want to be a cutting edge bro brah, get 650b.

First: search function JONG!

They've really been pushed hard by the industry for hardtails and XC applications because they roll over small obstacles well without requiring much rider input and they hold momentum well. This seems to flatten out the learning curve a bit for someone who doesn't know how to lift the front wheel or bunny-hop yet. And on relatively smooth, rolling singletrack, it works really well.

The drawbacks are that it accelerates and brakes a bit slower, and changes directions slower. Also, manufacturers seem to have a little difficulty shoehorning the big wheels into small frame sizes and longer-travel full squish applications without making some meaningful compromises in the way the bike handles. Plus if you are a combination of big or aggressive, you'll be able to feel more frame and wheel flex.

Despite the drawbacks, a 29er hardtail is kind of a no-brainer for an average-sized adult man (or tall woman) trying to pick up the sport for the first time.

It's a bike, don't overthink this.

You should buy at least three different ones(high end), ride them for a week, then sell the two you don't like here for half what you paid.

If you are 6' or taller go 29r, if you are less than 6' try the 650b size, if you are a midget stick to 26" or even 24".
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    650b is the next level. If you want to be a cutting edge bro brah, get 650b.
    You have it backwards.
    The local Bro-Brahs are naysayers and pooh-pooh-ers on 650b, it's nerds who want it.

OK, sounds like I'm a 29r type.

How about disc brakes. They have the kinks worked out of them yet?

Nah, stick with coaster brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    OK, sounds like I'm a 29r type.

How about disc brakes. They have the kinks worked out of them yet?
    You're joking right?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    You're joking right?
    No. I have been away from mtb for some time. Right around the time brakes changed.

These should be good enough for you.

Disc brakes are awesome. I've got a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er FSR. I fucking love it. I've been riding for a while, and it handles technical trails quiet well. its fun, and its got 5 inches of travel. Of course, if its your first MTB in a while, it may be more than your price range.

How much? I'm thinking 2000 tops.

I've got a 29er hardtail I'll let you have for a decent price.

It's like this one but used. I rode it about 8 months then decided my carcass need a plushie double sproing.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290795493883?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar
    Last edited by tgrweb; 03-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.

2K would buy a sweet 29 carbon hardtail or even a deal on a fully.

Basically you need to be honest with yourself about what kind of biking you will be doing.

Four years ago when I finally decided to get back on the bike it was daunting. The shear volume of tech that has been applied to bikes in just the last 10 years is incredible but not beyond assimilation.

Take some time and edumacate your self. Take time to do as many test rides as your time will allow. Read lots on the intertubes.

After I figured out what I wanted to do I ended up spending 3K on a Stumpy FS that has been converted to 650b now.
    watch out for snakes

god no

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Basically you need to be honest with yourself about what kind of biking you will be doing.

Four years ago when I finally decided to get back on the bike it was daunting. The shear volume of tech that has been applied to bikes in just the last 10 years is incredible but not beyond assimilation.

Take some time and edumacate your self. Take time to do as many test rides as your time will allow. Read lots on the intertubes.
    ^^^ This for sure.

There are some bikes that can do a lot fairly well, but if you're going to start and not have a quiver then you have to figure out what is important to you with your one bike. I can't ever imagine enjoying a hard tail unless I was exclusively riding buff singletrack (but that's not fun ) And, I was flat out broke a few years back and made it through about 6 months with an old rigid, it was fun, but in the holy shit this is beating the hell out of my body and I'm gaining skills fun kind of way.

Where are you, what do you want to ride? That is the determining factor. Also, don't underestimate your ability to progress and want to do more. Some people love to stick to xcountry, others, once they get a taste of rock gardens and air want more, then the hardtail or 4-inch xcountry bike you just bought becomes a fail.

Also, I believe in the buying used route, you can get a lot more bang for your buck. 2k at the shop will get you fairly shitty low end components/average frame, 2k on the used market will get you nice stuff, but of course the shock and fork might need a rebuild soon, and the condition of the wheels needs to be considered. Check prospects out with a friend who knows their shit.

Incidentally I have a Medium DW-Link Turner 5 Spot I'm thinking about unloading
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

What kind of road bike do you ride? Type of frame material? That will definitely be more familiar in feel and etc. Also the big wheel will be more familiar. You can get similar fit also, top tube length, etc.

Stay hardtail, at your age airing rock gardens doesn't end well. Also, there are great used deals to be had on bikes, I know alot of shops (my local in particular) that sell alot of bikes on ebay-especially this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    others, once they get a taste of rock gardens and air want more
    IIRC Benny is pretty close to collecting Social Security, I don't think this will be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IIRC Benny is pretty close to collecting Social Security, I don't think this will be an issue.
    Ahh, good looking out. However, I think this is reason enough to get a full suspension, a lot less wear and tear on your back.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

29ers are three better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Word. Some shit in Moab scared the hell out of me. I don't need a broken hip at this stage in my life. Falling in skiing is at it's worse ice, but, rock gardens? I'll get my kicks elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Where are you, what do you want to ride? That is the determining factor.

That's the $2k question, plus how big are you?

You can get a nice hard tail or a pugsley, new. Used is problematic if you don't know shit about bikes.

6 foot, 210 lbs.

Suburban NYC and northeast playgrounds, and a little around Baltimore.

Do they even make 29ers without disc brakes?
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I have FS in Colorado. But in IL I rode a 29r SS for years, then a geared 29r for years. I have every kind of bike imaginable and now I ride a fat bike 90% of the time.

Go to a bunch of LBS's and ride everything. You'll find something you like.