Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HUDGE 10,000' wide crown on Byers Peak (CO)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obs_18254_4572.jpg 
Views:	1343 
Size:	754.6 KB 
ID:	134208

Sidenote - that's a sweet looking face when conditions are stable.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Kinda surprised the debris field didn't go further with that wide if a crown. Looks fairly deep too.
    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Yeah, that is odd to me as well.

where did the 10000' number come from?
    off your knees Louie

Observer who took the photo. Certainly just an estimate, and may not be accurate, but it's big whatever the exact number - spans pretty much the whole cirque.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post

I was messing around with Google earth and could barely come up with 2500'. Maybe I'm not in the right area. Thought so.
    off your knees Louie

In reality, it's probably closer to 5k than it is 10k. Somewhere between 2500 and 5, I'd guess. Not sure if the observer really thought it was 10k, or moreso was just making the point that it was very large.

where the heck is all the debris?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

guesses,

lower portion of the face is nowhere near as steep as it looks.

actually a series of smaller slides

slide is a few days old and the debris pile froze thawed got windblown so its less recognizeable while the crown is shaded so it stayed crisp and clear.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

10k=2 miles +-

2500 seems more likely.

Still a cool shot.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thanks for posting that pic. I've been eyeballing that from the resort and town for the last couple days. Without binocs it's been tough to figure out exactly what I've been looking at or identify a continuous crown line.

The crown is bigger than the photo shows. It continues much further over the next ridge to the left that is cut off in the pic.

I will give you the benefit but they look like separate events to this untrained eye.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think that it's more like a 1000000000000' crown, just from my vantage point.

There were more big naturals viewable from the top of A-basin yesterday than a 1960's issue of Playboy.

Yeah, I actually overlooked that until you pointed it out.

Bunion may be right that it could be a separate event, as it's separated by a pretty distinct ridge - but I've seen stranger remote trigger/sympathetic releases than that before, so could be from the same event.

However big exactly and whether one or two events - that's a big ass slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Thanks for posting that pic. I've been eyeballing that from the resort and town for the last couple days. Without binocs it's been tough to figure out exactly what I've been looking at or identify a continuous crown line.

The crown is bigger than the photo shows. It continues much further over the next ridge to the left that is cut off in the pic.

looks more like 2 different 1,000 foot slides to me, but well... glad i wasn't there when it happened!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I wonder how deep the debri pile is?

coz I recon that would be where sledderz would have been drinking beer eh?
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Does anyone have fairly accurate info on the date and time of day that this happened???
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I first saw it early in the morning on Tue Mar 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    I first saw it early in the morning on Tue Mar 5.
    And you hadn't seen it any time on the 4th, I assume?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    from folks in Colorado!

where 3" is knee deep and 7" is an epic, chest-deep day at Fail

keeping our numbers consistant over here-
    ok yeah i'm just bent there's no pow

I see four slides; right cirque, left cirque, lower left cirque @ treeline, & far left edge of pic in adjacent bowl - another huge crown. Nasty day!

I can see Byers from my house. I can't tell you how big other than fuckin' big. Naturals on Bottle and Ptarmigan as well. Regarding skiing Byers, yeah the skiing is pretty good but the access not so much. I'd like to give a big shout out to our land managers who decided that it's perfectly logical to not allow snowmobiles on roads that are open the vehicles after May 1st. This combined with creating an asinine road closure in place where roads have been in place for multiple decades has pretty much made all of the Vasquez and Byers Peak Wilderness Areas non skiable save for breaking the law or going for a few nights.

And the noise from Snowball didn't bring it down? How is Bottle Pass? The dogs & I are way overdue for a ski on that side of the valley, they are getting bored with me taking them for outings on mill/Ute Pass side...

I think the road closures are a both a blessing and a curse. It would be nice to have better access and cut several miles off of approaches. But I spend some time around there in the summer and because of the closed roads it's pretty easy to find solitude if you walk or ride a little ways. But yeah, open the fucking roads for more than 2 weekends a summer.

I do ski up there with my dogs quite a bit, but I'm doing skiing of the skinny edgeless ski/tiny boot/long poles variety. More trails than you can shake a stick at, and it's 5 min from the house.

Fuck that Snowball shit. So glad that's over.

Prob about 5000' crown across those two distinct faces, hard to tell if it was the same event, but definitely happened within a day or so of each other.

The access there is frustrating, I really don't understand much of what goes on in the "Fraser Experimental Forest" or why it goes on... Depending on when the roads melt out the bike access to stuff around Byers and St Louis Peak isn't bad, a couple miles of pretty flat forest road riding. The terrain is great though, looking to get on the north facing chutes south of Byers peak this spring. They look awesome and I've never seen a ski track down them...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03596.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	134688