Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Wiring is required to actually use them to tow, not just hanging toys off the back. OEM Audi hitches are all done at the port, not the dealer.
    I understand that, but changing out the hitch has nothing to do with the wiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I understand that, but changing out the hitch has nothing to do with the wiring.
    No, it just costs more. It just sucks that you have to order the 1.25" hitch to get the wiring in the Allroad. The Q5 comes with a 2" hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ This doesn't make the hitch-to-vehicle attachment any stronger, which is the whole point I was trying to make above: the 1 1/4" hitches just aren't rated for much tongue load, which is why you can't put 4-bike T2s on them.

Here's an example of a typical 2" hitch (for a 4Runner) -- note the long flat section with multiple bolts to spread the load onto the vehicle:

Here's a 1 1/4" hitch (for a 2002 Audi Allroad, according to google images) -- note the minimal hitch-to-vehicle bolts:
    Probably because the 4-runner is body on frame construction VS. unibody on the Audi.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    No, it just costs more. It just sucks that you have to order the 1.25" hitch to get the wiring in the Allroad. The Q5 comes with a 2" hitch.
    What really sucks is how much Audi charges for that cheap pseudo-hitch when a good Reese 2" is under $300

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    I also have a tahoe with a kuat NV core hitch rack. It comes with an adapter to make it fit a 2" hitch; forgo that and it fit's a 1.25". Pretty sure that's the case for all Kuat hitch racks, but maybe I'm wrong there. Had it for a season and a half and with an occasional run through on the main bolts it's stayed nice and tight.
    If I'm reading this correctly, that's not true. I have a NV with the 2 bike extension; and the backbone on the primary rack is not 1.25" with a 2" adapter, it's a true 2".
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, that's not true. I have a NV with the 2 bike extension; and the backbone on the primary rack is not 1.25" with a 2" adapter, it's a true 2".
    Good call, here's the NV vs NV Core:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feature-1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	134260

Name:	feature-3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	134259

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Good call, here's the NV vs NV Core:

Name:	feature-1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	134260

Name:	feature-3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	134259
    There looks to be serious difference in strength and rigidity between those two.

Yeah, whatever the difference between 1.25" and 2" box tubing is. That said, I can stand on the cheaper core with no flexing, etc. The upper mechanism is identical excepting the workstand/lock.

Just FYI, a hitch on a well-balanced car like the Audi will throw off its front-rear weight ratio pretty badly... deteriorating handling and well, kinda negating the point of a car like that. I'd just go box + bike rack on top. Which is what I did with my 3 series. I have the low-profile Yakima skybox, love it. Also looked at the lo-pro Innos, those look rad as well.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Hitch weighs what? 20-30 lbs at most?
    Having a person sitting in the back seat will make more difference than that.
    My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Just FYI, a hitch on a well-balanced car like the Audi will throw off its front-rear weight ratio pretty badly... deteriorating handling and well, kinda negating the point of a car like that. I'd just go box + bike rack on top. Which is what I did with my 3 series. I have the low-profile Yakima skybox, love it. Also looked at the lo-pro Innos, those look rad as well.

1) It's a station wagon = meant to hold people/gear/weight.
    2) It's a station wagon = not a sports car.
    3) It's a lifted station wagon = even less of an emphasis on handling/balance/dynamics.
    4) A roof rack + box + bikes on roof = better handling than a hitch + bike rack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	134358  
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Hitch weighs what? 20-30 lbs at most?
    Having a person sitting in the back seat will make more difference than that.
    My .02
    Yes Chup... serious.

Getting as close to 50/50 front/rear weight balance is a huge part of what makes a car handle well. But point taken on raised wagons. However, passengers and roof boxes sit between the axles; a hitch hangs a bunch of weight behind the rear axle... not so good. I'd never do that to a nicely balanced German car, personally. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    3) It's a lifted station wagon = even less of an emphasis on handling/balance/dynamics.
    See other post for other responses. But this one... sport wagons eez what Germans do, mang. Just because it's a wagon doesn't mean it doesn't handle like a sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    You're right, my Audi handles really bad when I put a 50lb suitcase in the trunk. I tried putting the luggage in the passenger seat, but now it turns left better right.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    1up racks are the best hitch mount. Fatbike compatible too if you're a chubby chaser as well.

http://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
    I agree that 1ups are awesome, I love mine. The regular rack comes with 1.25 plus an adapter to fit a 2", so it'd be very easy to use on the Audi and shift it over to a different car, if there was ever a reason to do that. I think the limit is 3 bikes for this rack.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I agree that 1ups are awesome, I love mine. The regular rack comes with 1.25 plus an adapter to fit a 2", so it'd be very easy to use on the Audi and shift it over to a different car, if there was ever a reason to do that. I think the limit is 3 bikes for this rack.
    Three bikes would be great. I have queried to them whether I can fit the three bike rear on the 1.25 hitch or if it is only for the 2"
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Confirmed can run three bikes. Ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.